G70 - What is the tube reconditioning process?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Ward, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There's a G70 on Ebay right now, I won't be bididng as the guy states that he will be away for the duration of the auction so unable to answer any questions.

One thing he mentioned was that the tubes weren't great but could be reconditioned. This has got me thinking.... what exactly do you do to a tube to recondition it? Surely these are sealed vaccuum chambers contain phosphors, how would you "recondition" them?

Just curious,

Mark.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    VDC recently started to not warenty the rebuilds of their sony G70 tubes (actually a panasonic tube) beyond standard video! (15Khz) due to a high number of failures. which for me puts them out of contention for the moment.

However for New sony price is about £1000 each and the VDC about £500 So you could afford one failure and still be up on the deal.

Why would anyone put an item up for sale whilst they are away?

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes but what do they actually do to a tube to recondition it? That's what I was curious about.

Because they don't want to answer awkward questions about it's condition possibly? Unsurprisingly there's no bidders yet.

Mark.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    They cut the tube in half etch out all the old phosphor with acid and recoat it. they pull the old "Gun" (the bit that supplies the electrons) and replace it.
    They then weld the glass back together again and fire the tube up to form the vacuum.
    It's not a perfect process but at least you don't have to pay for the metal and glass work.