FZ802B - Dark patches - is it normal?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Waynej, May 8, 2019.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I was wondering if a few of you wouldn't mind taking a look at my photo and telling me if it looks like cause for concern. Talking about the dark sort of blob areas on the left.

I previously had the LG C8 and don't recall spotting any dark areas like this. I will say that this does not appear to be impacting my viewing, it mainly stands out when I power off the Xbox as it goes to this dark grey screen for several seconds before turning off. I was more just curious to know if this is perfectly fine, or if I should be concerned about it.

IMG_20190508_021530336.jpg
    IMG_20190508_021523723.jpg

+ a few coloured images that appear fine.

IMG_20190422_012418755.jpg IMG_20190422_012528031.jpg IMG_20190422_012458648.jpg IMG_20190422_012427525.jpg

2. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Why would you change a C8 for the Panasonic Oled? You do realise all the people like the writers and staff on this website own an LG Oled TV right?

3. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,590
    I Would say it is fine , as you say it is not showing n content.. so no need to worry .. also your White Screen has very little Pink which is rare on a OLED.. just to say i have a AF9 ... but have owned 2 FZ802 .. First was very Pink 2nd had V/Banding which showed itself when watching Football.

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,856
    He lives in Wales. Watching football is considered a sin, it has to be a game played by men with odd shaped balls.

I wouldn't worry as it's not showing up on the white screen or any of the colours.

5. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I was looking at my old photos of the C8 earlier - included them below. It appears to have had a similar issue, I just couldn't recall it.

IMG_20181208_022141659.jpg

The patches weren't as large on the C8 but you can make out that they seem to form several circular shapes. Again, not an issue in normal content either.

To answer your question the C8 was returned primarily due to the flashing blocks issue. It wasn't until getting the FZ802 that I realised that the C8 was really handling panning shots badly in comparison. At that point in time LG had not confirmed a firmware patch was in the works for the flashing, so I had a small return window to take advantage of, rather than the potential prospect of repairs.

The FZ802 was my other option on the list, but as HDMI 2.1 was shortly-later confirmed for the C9, my plan was to wait. The FZ802 popped up for a brief period with a pricing error. So I jumped on it. No regrets.

I'll admit to being a little unsure when it comes to OLED, but that's what I use these forums for, to check that such things appear to be considered good, acceptable or poor by the majority of owners here.

Yeah, I just wondered if it was normal or not. Do most OLEDs have these dark patches? As you say, I can't see it in normal content so I am not too concerned. Besides the Xbox powering down screen, the only other obvious time I spot it is on the Amazon Prime splash screen.

The tint you mentioned in my photo, it may appear like pink tint, but I can't see that by eye, so no complaints here in that regard.

I've only noticed vertical banding on the FZ802 in one sandstorm scene in the American Sniper Blu-ray. Definitely much less obvious than what I was seeing on the C8 at the time - but judging by discussions back then every panel has this to some extent and it can come and go following comp cycles.

Some photos with some normal content - for a change...

4K HDR Blu-ray - Avengers Infinity War
    IMG_20190421_024218395_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

4K HDR Blu-ray - Blade Runner 2049
    IMG_20190501_004310603.jpg

Netflix 4K HDR - Our Planet
    IMG_20190408_024005331.jpg

PS4 Pro enhanced game - The Last Guardian
    IMG_20190417_030522314.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. j77all

j77all
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m in the same dilemma in reverse my c8 has dark spots that is obvious like a constant shadow when watching football. I have authorisation to return but like a narrow window. My biggest problem is what to get that I can afford. If you have already had supposedly the best pound for pound tv of 2018 where do I go next. Lack of future proof tech on the FZ series from Panasonic really is not inspiring me to jump there the Gz950 @£1799 sounds a really good price but falls outside my return window

7. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The retailer perhaps may take it back for a credit note at least? If early enough a refund should even be possible.

Switching manufacturer won't necessarily resolve your issue, they all use LG Display panels regardless. If you like and wanted the LG C8, then you could equally get a better panel by just trying another C8 replacement.

The dark areas in my photo I posted, they don't seem to be impacting any viewing besides being noticable on splash screens or test slide images. With that said - I'll be keeping my FZ802, though I am still curious as to what's considered acceptable or normal in this regard. I assumed the only thing I needed to be aware of was vertical banding. I think my FZ802 fairs pretty well in the vertical banding stakes too.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. britishbulldog

britishbulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh dear why post a comment like that as that really does not help the op does it.!!

9. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I thought it a bit of an odd statement too considering I am asking for advice on a particular issue which clearly relates to the panel that's actually manufactured by LG Display, regardless of TV manufacturer.

Anyway, last I looked the Panasonic won a 2018 shootout for best picture quality, so it's right up there as a top pick for most people I would imagine.

I did actually have a C8 previously, had I purchased that after the 'flashing' issues were ironed out, perhaps I'd still have that now. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the Panasonic's performance out of the box.

I'm more just looking for reassurance due to the cost of the product that everything is looking good, and that those dark areas are generally deemed acceptable/normal. ?

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,856
    I don't think there's anything to worry about. There is no sign of it under normal viewing and if there were problems I would have thought that it would have manifested itself more on the white screen.

I don't know why Flecky81 bothers reading Panasonic threads as his 'LG are better' seems to be his standard response.