1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ3 £199.99 quick before they're sold out!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by 888, Feb 5, 2005.

1. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Many thanks for the link. I have been thinking about buying the FZ3 or FZ20.
    I like the size and weight of the FZ3 over its bigger brother. Would the 3.2 mega pixels be a problem? Would you notice much of a difference from a the 5 mega pixel FZ20? I currently have a Canon A70, which is also 3 mega pixels, so am unsure if the FZ3 would be much of a uprade, apart from that great lens!

Cheers

Dougie

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the higher pixel count, but 3M should be sufficient for general photography. I still keep my IXUS V2 for these. The FZ20 is much bigger. The advantage of the FZ3 over the Canon A70 is the 12X OSI lens, you just can't beat it. IMO the lens is worth £150 by itself.

4. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just ordered the FZ3, which they do have in stock. Still thought about the FZ20, but for the £150 difference, far lighter and smaller size, the FZ3 gets it!

5. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ooh! have been considering upgrading and like the look of the Lumix models although had been thinking Fz10 or 20 but this seems like a nice price. not really got time to do the research just now so does anyone know how this compares to the likes of the Canon S1 or anything else in the same region? cheers :thumbsup:

6. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The FZ5 is coming soon and i doubt it'll cost more than £230. I think it's worth the wait, but the FZ3 is a great camera too.

7. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hmm... a dilema indeed. think i will remain on the fence for a little longer :cool:

8. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just what I did not not want to hear!
    My FZ3 should arrive today, but after looking at the FZ5, it does seem the camera I have been looking for.

So, what to do next? Do I just send the FZ3 back unopened, and wait for the FZ5? Does anyone know a date when they will be available in the UK? And will they only retail at £230!

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    So what's the major differences between the FZ20 and the new FZ5 then :confused:
    Looks like I've found the answer to my question here

10. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Who got the price of £230 ? I really can't see a 5mp superb lens camera retailing brand new for £230 - no way jose !!

I'll say £279 absolute min on the net and £349 high street.

11. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought £230 was a bit cheap, perhaps for the new FZ4!
    I have emailed Panasonic asking about a release date and a guide price, will inform when they reply.
    After reading the FZ5 review, there have been some improvements, 1.8" screen, faster focusing and moving the shutter release forward. I was surprised to see the lens is not as good as the FZ3 though.

I was really looking forward to the delivery man, but this has taken the shine off it, what do you guys think I should do? Keep the FZ3, or send it back and wait for the FZ5. My only reservation about the FZ3, it was only 3 mega pixel.

12. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Be interested to hear what Panni have to say about prices / Timescales.

I'd probably keep the FZ3 with a view to moving to the FZ5 in maybe 12months if you feel you need to, by then the price will be more reasonable.

I reckon the FZ5 will be pricey (£350ish)

I may be wrong but I reckon the 3 overall could be better than the 4 but not as good as the 5. Megapixels aren't the be all and end all :nono:

13. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have just heard fron Panasonic and they say it is due to be released sometime in April, and no price has been set yet.

The FZ3 has just arrived, and first impression is what a cracker of a camera for only £200. I agree with you about the price of the FZ5 being over £300.
    The price difference would allow me to purchase Elements 3 and a couple of high speed SD cards, sadly my Cannon takes Compact Flash.

I might as you suggest, keep it for 12 months, get to know the camera and then upgrade to the FZ5,6, or 7!

14. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nice one Dougan - i have a similar dilemma.

I got a Oly 765 for Chrimbo but have had unpredictable results especially at low light and full zoom.

I reckon the FZ3 will be a better all rounder but the 765 gives better pics in optimum light (Beach / Snow etc)....how often do we get great light in the UK though !!

I may take the plunge today and order the FZ3 - depends on a collegaue who is keen on my 765.....decisions, decisions.....

.....what to do

May even order from the USA where they are £150 with the strong pound.

ps Get some pics taken and lets hear what you think :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

15. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    $500 is given as RRP, which is £268 if we are doing a pure currancy conversion. The $500 or £500 pricing of a few years back are not happening any more in my view. US is still often cheaper, but prices are converging all the time. Plus camera specs are improving all the time too so I would have agreed with your pricing 6-8 months ago, but less so in two months time. But we will see. It's all opinion and guess work based on market trends. I am waiting for the 5 and will be surprised if I don't get it for around the £230 mark ... but I am a hard nosed online shopper ;-) Anyone who pays £199 for the 3 will get a great camera at a great price, but depreciation will be greater than the 5, which is an issue for me as I look at pricing in the big picture and always assume I'll be upgrading most of the electronics I buy. If you'll be keeping the 3 long term then it's a great buy :)

16. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just to let you know I have kept the FZ3, the battery is charging as I speak.

MJW - I would go for the FZ3. Don't forget if you do order it from the USA, you might have to pay import and vat taxes, which would take the price up to the same, plus it would be a American and not a UK spec.

condyk - I can see your point about waiting for the FZ5, but don't forget that I can use the FZ3 from today, and the price difference between the two will offset the depreciation. Just because the USA price is given as $500, do not assume that it is just a case of converting the two figures. I think you would do well if you get it for any less than £300.

I will just say that for £200, the FZ3 is probably the best value mega zoom camera on the market. One look at the lens would confirm this.

17. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I don't need a new camera today and so I think you've made a good choice if you do. I definately reckon I'll get it for a lot less than £300 though ;-)

18. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dougan - what are the differences betwen the UK & US spec ?...surely it's only the plug on the charder that's different so just a case for an adapter or am I missing something.

19. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi MJW,

I am pretty sure that you are correct about the difference. It's just the taxes that would bother me, I have ordered quite a lot gear from the USA, some things get through and some do not. Also if you do have to pay the taxes, the Royal Mail will charge you £7.00 as well.

I have just came back from my local Jessops, after buying a nice Lowepro bag for the FZ3. They had a FZ3 on display, so I could try it in different bags. Their price is £349, a big difference from £199!

20. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Would Jessops pricematch This offer ? :) Would anyone for that matter ?

Mike.

21. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mike, I called the Bath Jessops store and mentioned the offer (and the fact that there is also a photooptix store locally in Bristol) and they said it wasn't possible. It's a great offer. Why not just go for it as they're a reputable store by looks of it ... not just online!

22. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all do members think the fz3 would give simular results to an older canon eos 500 film camera fitted with sigma lens, for genaral photography the size of the fz3 appeals to me as it is not so bulky.

thank you

23. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went pass Photooptix again today. They had a note saying that the FZ3 was a bulk purchase. I guess they did a deal with Panasonic when they found out about the new FZ4 and FZ5. I seriously can not beleive anyone will match this price, not even JL unless they had stock in shop.

24. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all have ordered the fz3 from website after reading some reviews etc did have a chat with the windser branch of photo optix by phone it seems some branches are down to single fz3 in store but more are avaliable from there warehouse stock, done a check with pricerunner seems nearest price at the mo for fz3 is £248.

you apprently can buy leather case for fz3+bigger memory card but this pushes price up to nearer £250.

thanks all

25. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After heavy bidding someone has just bought a FZ2 for £226 on ebay LOL.

Maybe I should buy a few FZ3's after all :)

26. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dougan - any results yet ?

Just ordered one today as I've already got a buyer for my 765 !.....hope I made the right decision to move across.

No turning back now.........

Worst case scenario i've paid rock bottom price for the FZ3 and I move to the FZ5 in 6months. Win win me thinks.

27. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have only had time to take a few photos of my small son, with the flash on, very impressed.
    Have just taken a few of Longtailed Tits on a feeder in my garden. 12x zoom and not a hint of camera shake!

28. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just wondering where you have seen cases for the FZ3 and at what kind of price? Ebuyer have a 512 MB Kingston SD card for about 30 quid and spare battery packs compatible with it seem to be go for around 10 quid on Ebay.

however i'm still torn between the FZ3 with an obviously superior lens and the Canon S1 which accepts standard AA batteries, has a VGA movie mode and a vari-angle screen and uses slightly cheaper Compact Flash cards. :confused:

think that i might have to try and get local demos to try and help decide... :lesson:

29. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Think for a tenner the battery issue is false economy - The panni batteries will last longer than the AA's as well. If it needs 4 AA's that quite a bit of extra weight.

It's a camera not a camcorder so the movie issue is a non starter for me.

The excellent IS is a big plus factor for the panni - mine arrived today and i'm very impressed with the quality of the unit....they've used their vast knowledge of camcorders to give a very feature rich camera ! The focusing and burst mode seem excellent.

The canon seems a useful piece of kit but the FZ3 edges it for my money, certainly at the ridiculous price of £199 (£349 in Jessops :eek: :eek: )

30. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    recieved my fz3 today although i have not used it yet.

jdanielp case for fz3 in leather is about £24 £17 i think for differant one from photo optics have not seen one in the flesh.

have a look on dp resources website it has pics /reviews of fz3 also pics taken with other cameras copared to fz3.

i purchased a sd lexar 128 caed not yet recieved for £20 from photo optics they seem to be cheaper than this online.

there is a fz3 user forum on yahoo .

as regards sd cards someone has seven

and thinks those below are ok for fast write etc 512mb i think

lexar 32x
    kingsmax 60x
    transcend 40x
    sandick 40x
    kingsmax 512