1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FYI - Nebula DigiTV Build 4

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Donnacha, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,492
    According to their website its due for release Mon 12th July :clap:

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,870
    Yep, saw this the other day :) Can the first person to download it host it somewhere? I get a feelign their servers may be a bit slow and overloaded :D

I'll host it once I get a copy.

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,870
  4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Error 503 Service Unavailable!

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,870
    Oh OK, you can also find it on my webspace here ;)

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    nice one

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Any thoughts anyone? Only major difference i can see is the tools section. However, as i just save the broadcast mpgs directly onto DVD-R for playback on the HTPC, not a biggy for me. Guess i might try stripping some streams tonight, see how much space it saves. Oh, and the voices in the night syndrome has been cured! (timer recordings in "silent" not being silent) Still, good work from the DigiTV crew, nice to see a manufacturer not releasing a product and leaving it to die. Will definately get at least one more card, if not 2 when the next major release comes out with mulitiple card support and MPG editor.

8. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,492
    The tools section is new alright and the analogue capture. tried the conversion to DVD format - it worked. What advantage does this give me? The file size is actually a little bigger than the original mpg.

Haven't tried the analogue but a few other forum posts (different forums) say that its still crap (their words) and very CPU hungry!

But its good to have some new things to play with!!!

9. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I like the new DVD conversion tool. I can now play the mpg's in media player, and convert/edit them in VirtualdubMod, etc. And there's no stuttering on playback.

I can't seem to use the analogue side at all now, except via Dscaler and the WDM driver. I don't get a picture via the DigiTV software.

I don't think the card has onboard mpg encoding, and so I guess analogue capture/compression will always be CPU intensive (but I could be wrong).

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I've always thought the analogue stage was just a consequence of the BT878 ( ???) chip that does the data handover. Its never going to be as good as some of the newer inexpensive capture cards.

Can't say I'll ever have a use for it,

11. witty_name

witty_name

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, as I novice I'm gradually building up my HTPC and the TV card is the next bit on my list. After reading the positive views of Nebula on here and elsewhere, I'm going for it but have a couple of questions:

1) Does the software (including this latest build) come on CD with the card, as broadband is later on my build list, hence downloading it would be a problem at the moment.

2) With this latest release, is it easier to burn the recordings onto DVD or will I still have to use intermediate software?

Many thanks.

12. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,492
    My card came with a CD with the last version on it, so I would assume yes it would have the latest.

If this is true it should help with your second question, as the new version has a tool that allows you to convert the mpg recording into a DVD compatible Mpeg. You will still need a buring tool like Nero to get it onto disc though.

Hope this helps - its a good card, and I'm very pleased i bought it. Recording onto the Hard drive is a great feature. No need for video tape anymore (in theory)

13. MatthewS

MatthewS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the DVD format conversion tool last night, and I am extreemly pleased. I had about 20Gb of recordings from ITV, C4, and five that wouldn't demux with other tools due to GOP errors. The new software seems to be able to cope with these problems. The files do end up bigger than the original recordings though!