1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FX66 Ghosting and colour bleed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lesmond, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just received my FX66 and have noticed a few problems with it...

I'm using an NTL cable tv box (set to RGB output) and hooked it up to scart socket #2. The TV is recognising it as an RGB source as the on screen display symbol shows the 'three dots'.

Using the NTL menu as a 'test screen', I notice that there is colour separation and ghosting. Ghosting is apparant when watching a normal picture as well... Overall, it looks as if the general focus is not right.

Using a DVD RGB source, I can see similar effects, especially when using the DVD setup menu (it has also been set to RGB output).

Overall, I'm p1ssed off... I expect this kind of output from a composite source, not RGB. In fact, I'd be annoyed if this WAS composite!!

The scart cables I have are of reasonable quality, they produced a sharp clean image on the old TV, so I know its not them at fault.......

Am I doing something wrong?!?

2. NicktheNorse

NicktheNorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sounds as perhaps uve got a duff tv - what happens when u watch normal analogue broadcasts or a RF connected vcr?

3. Tauron

Tauron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What setting are you using for contrast, brightness and colour. This could be causing your problems if they are too high. None of them need to be more than halfway on mine. You'll have to adjust the personal settings to get this right.

4. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been using the movie picture feature, but changing modes doesn't really affect this problem as such, i.e. having a low contrast doesn't shift the colour back to where it should be. I've used personal settings from what others have suggested elsewhere in the forum (i.e. 40%/50%40%/50%) but have also experimented more. Hasn't cured this problem.

As for 'analog' sources, I don't use any through the RF ariel, but I do use it on the video. Having said that, the picture is so (natually) unsharp that spotting the problem will be impossible. RGB (being as sharp as it should be) makes the problem standout worse.

For an example, if you have yellow text on a purple background (NTL often use this to ID their channels), you will see a single lines worth of white text seemingly under the rest of the text, which would be yellow. So it would seem like the text is made up of two layers - the B&W monochrome layer, and the colour layer on top (which has shifted up by a line). This sounds like it could be corrected, but the ghosting of vertical contrasting lines may not easiliy be corrected via service menu?

The Sony centre said they'd replace the set this week - although I'd suspects it could be fixed via the service menu (but I'm not gonna screw around in there!!). Hopefully they'll be able to source another FX66!

Having said all that though, I'm assuming that RGB mode on a 100Hz TV should be as sharp as a 50Hz TV, right? 100Hz shouldn't soften an RGB source should it?

I am very impressed though with the TV other than whats already been said. Some of the features are very clever, such as the auto aspect ratio, auto volume (for those TV stations who like to play adverts at annoyingly loud volumes!) , PIP etc... :)

L