1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FX5600 ultra replacement

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sticker, Mar 22, 2005.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    My current video card a FX5600 ultra based AGP card was damaged in a recent move. I want to replace this with something of the same performance and want to utilise the Zalman fanless cooler I had on the 5600.
    With this in mind I was considering a FX5700 256mb card or a FX5700LE card. The card must have DVI out on it and be able to be silenced.

Any suggestions or will the 5700 card do what I want or is there better value out there?

regards
    John

2. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What Zalman cooler do you have, ZM50 or ZM80?

I own a Sapphire 9600Pro Ultimate Edition which has a rebadged ZM50 cooler on it. The 9600XT UE also has the same cooler. I wouldn't recommend anything above that with the ZM50 cooler. The 9600Pro/XT will have similar or better performance than the fx5700.

I don't have much experience of nVidia cards but I've never seen fx5800/5900 series cards passively cooled. Wheres you can buy a 9800Pro again from Sapphire with a ZM80 heatsink. Although these do get hot and need good airflow through the case which in turn makes you PC louder because you need to turn your fans up.

I'd say your best bet would be to pick up a used 9600Pro/XT and fit your heatsink to it. I'd sell you mine if you were in the UK as I'm not using it.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have the ZM80 at present and it seems to do a realy good job cooling.

Thanks for your thoughts I'll see whats over here on fleabay for the 9600 range

Regards
    John

4. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The ZM80 will be able to handle a 9800Pro with good airflow over the card. You can also put a quiet fan over the card. A used 9800Pro won't cost much more than a used 9600Pro so you might aswell go for the 9800 and also get a nice performance boost over the 5700.