Fx

I for one think it's good news,I'll see what it's like before making positive/negative comments but NCIS in HD will be nice

Dont assume a new HD channel means good HD, take one look at SKY1HD, if FX is going to be like that then its going to be a waste of space.
Couldn't disagree more. When it comes to a choice between SD and Sky 1 HD, it's the HD version each and every time. Shows like Bones and Lost look excellent, in fact I'd venture to say that the outdoor scenes in Bones are some of the best examples of HD there are.

Couldn't disagree more. When it comes to a choice between SD and Sky 1 HD, it's the HD version each and every time. Shows like Bones and Lost look excellent, in fact I'd venture to say that the outdoor scenes in Bones are some of the best examples of HD there are.

But Lost and bones is where it ends, everything else is second rate PQ. That is when you can actually find any HD to watch on SKY1HD. Sorry to disagree but just dont rate the channel overall for its HD PQ and for the way it mirrors SKY1 SD

I think Rescue Me looks great, but I think FX provide a deeper, edgier view than Sky anyway (its practically HBO UK) which is why I think its great news, Brotherhood2 should be along by then too.

But Lost and bones is where it ends, everything else is second rate PQ. That is when you can actually find any HD to watch on SKY1HD. Sorry to disagree but just dont rate the channel overall for its HD PQ and for the way it mirrors SKY1 SD

Neil, do you actually like anything about Sky HD? Why do you continue to pay £10 a month?

My comments are about SKY1HD and not Skyhd in general.

I can't actually remember any postive comment from yourself about Sky HD though, that'd why I asked.

The only positive i've seen you give is about BBD HD, and thats free, hence the whay pay £10 a month question.

My comments are about SKY1HD and not Skyhd in general.

Not that Mr Jones needs or wants any support, I have seen many of his posts and echo his opinions regarding Sky HD and especially the extremely poor Sky One HD channel.

Blimey last night for example I swear American Werewolf in London actually looked better on the SD Sky One channel :confused: .

Like Neil I too would not have upgraded if it hadn't been for the half price offer and the desire to use my HD TV's for the purpose actually watching some HD TV programmes.

So I too at this time remain some what disappointed but opptomistic for the future.

I can't actually remember any postive comment from yourself about Sky HD though, that'd why I asked.

The only positive i've seen you give is about BBD HD, and thats free, hence the whay pay £10 a month question.

You dont check my posts very well do you, ensure you have the facts before posting incorrect posts about me.

You dont check my posts very well do you, ensure you have the facts before posting incorrect posts about me.

To be fair to Darren he actually used the phrases

"I can't actually remember" and "The only positive i've seen".

Therefore he is making a statement based on his own RECALL , NOT on what you posted. Thats hardly derogatory

To be fair to Darren he actually used the phrases

"I can't actually remember" and "The only positive i've seen".

Therefore he is making a statement based on his own RECALL , NOT on what you posted. Thats hardly derogatory

If someone posts the sort of style of post he did then its only going to get the same sort of reply. He should check out the facts before posting such a post no matter how much he is trying to manipulate the words. I know what he meant and no matter how it words it he wrote the post for the exact reason which I responded to.

I haven't seen any of Neil's posts but just from this thread I would tend to agree with him anyway.
I've got 2 SkyHD boxes in the last month and am very disappointed with around 75% of the programming. More than that I'm getting really ticked off with looking through the HD pages in the TV Guide only to find a large percentage of material isn't actually even HD at all.

I haven't seen any of Neil's posts but just from this thread I would tend to agree with him anyway.
I've got 2 SkyHD boxes in the last month and am very disappointed with around 75% of the programming. More than that I'm getting really ticked off with looking through the HD pages in the TV Guide only to find a large percentage of material isn't actually even HD at all.

Yes people living in the real world accept that its pretty poor a lot of the time, its only people who for some reason have this need to praise Sky for everything that seem to think its brilliant.

Yes people living in the real world accept that its pretty poor a lot of the time its only people who for some reason have this need to praise Sky for everything that seem to think its brilliant.
That's quite an inaccurate. There are degrees of everything and while not all of Sky One HD's output is "brilliant", it's far from being a "waste of space" either.

You need to separate out the SD content shown on Sky One, with the genuine HD content and as I've said countless times, some of it looks outstanding. There are clear performance advantages in watching Bones, 24, Battlestar Gallactica, The Dresden Files, Lost, Crash Test Dummies (looks great), Stargate Atlantis and Rescue Me on Sky One HD than there are on the SD version, in which case describing it as a "waste of space" is nonsensical.

There is a huge difference between blindingly supporting nay praising something (does anyone actually give SKYHD a 100% approval across the board?) and offering a balanced view based on what was offered by SKY before launch, the cost (without special deals to some readers) and how the system has developed in under a year.

I honestly do find it hard to accept people buy the whole HD package without really knowing what they are getting and as such I will never really post supporting messages for those who then complain over the lack of HD channels, upscale SD on HD channels etc etc especially when they can get their money back, it's not as if you can't get a good picture of the service in a week.
Another factor is simply that I am pretty happy with SKY HD. The STB is quiet and fairly bug free (don't give a toss about DD audio volume) and the FF/RW are manageable. Audio drop outs can be an issue at times but the most part my DD5.1 viewing is perfectly acceptable and Anytime works perfectly.

There are many genuine issues with SKY HD with both it's hardware and content, after a while certain complaints just seem to go on and on and well a year will soon be up and people can then match the words with deeds.

Maybe I am one of the people Neil was referring to maybe not but I don't white wash anything and I consider myself fairly balanced when it comes to offering opinion and advice on SKY HD.

Back on topic.

FX, full time HD channel with SD upscale and native HD or part time/looped native HD channel, place your bets:)

FX, full time HD channel with SD upscale and native HD or part time/looped native HD channel, place your bets:)

I'd take the former please - also it means things will be in widescreen at least!

Maybe I am one of the people Neil was referring to

No your not starburst, your posts are always sensible with no leaning to any direction and that I accept without a problem and I always respect your posts. But some people just cant accept that what Sky give us on SKY1HD is not really acceptable, some just basically state its fantastic when its clearly not and then slag off anyone who dares to even mention the mirroring or poor HD PQ. Yes it has some good shows on and yes they are slightly better then their SD counterparts but the SD content 90% of the time, is that really what should be on a HD channel. I would much rather see them showing repeats of HD broadcasts (especially in the evenings) then showing the same show on 2 channels at once. If they did that more people would be happier and you could then class it as a proper HD channel.

I expect it to be identical to SKY1HD, a SD channel with some HD content. If the PQ of the HD material is great then I would be partly happy but if we get poor PQ and mirroring in the same way as SKY1HD then its really a waste of time.

I expect it to be identical to SKY1HD, a SD channel with some HD content. If the PQ of the HD material is great then I would be partly happy but if we get poor PQ and mirroring in the same way as SKY1HD then its really a waste of time.

It seems third party channels get the full whack bandwidth wise where as SKY's own are the ones that suffer with SKY limitations on aquiring new transponders.
I would hope that FX like the others gets a solid 18mbps and we get HD using H.264 looking as good as is practical at this time.

Personally I would prefer a channel more in the vein of History/Disco where content is looped and perhaps with some downtime since we are years away from 24/7 HD even for the likes of the BBC who dwarf everyone else in terms of productions.

It seems third party channels get the full whack bandwidth wise where as SKY's own are the ones that suffer with SKY limitations on aquiring new transponders.
I would hope that FX like the others gets a solid 18mbps and we get HD using H.264 looking as good as is practical at this time.

Personally I would prefer a channel more in the vein of History/Disco where content is looped and perhaps with some downtime since we are years away from 24/7 HD even for the likes of the BBC who dwarf everyone else in terms of productions.

I agree totally with all you say above. Lets hope they do get a good whack and we do get a decent new HD channel.

Getting back on topic. I dont currently watch FX as the PQ is rotten and is square. I dont do square. So if FX goes widescreen and HD in part then its a step in the right direction.

Just don't get me started about Heroes being on Scifi channel in squareovision. Apparently BBC will show it later on this year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom