Fx 5.1 or Eltax Avant Garde or Other 5.1

antomack

Standard Member
I'm looking for a 5.1 speaker setup to go with a Sony STR-DB790 and would prefer satellite speakers. I'm based in Ireland so the choice available is not great. I've called to a few of the hi-fi stores in Dublin but can't find much that I feel is worth the money they are asking when I see them for about half the price in Germany, etc..

I'm considering the Tannoy FX 5.1 or Eltax Avant Garge 5.1 from Richer Sounds both at €300 and was wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations for either. I've read some good reviews on the Tannoy's but can't find anything on the AvantGarde's.

I'm interested in movie sound mainly with some music, about 90:10 ratio so movie capability is the main decider. The room I'm setting up in is about 20' x 13' so would either of them suit the size.

I've looked at Mordaunt Short Premiere's for €600, Jamo A310 for €550, JBL SCS20 for €640 and KEF 1005 for €750. For the extra money I wasn't overly impressed with them over the Wharfedale Moviestar 70's I had looked at for €330 which have since sold out so I'm back to the search again. Also the extra money seems too much since I have seen all except the Kef's for about half that on various European sites.

I notice that quite a few people have the Tannoy's, so how do you find them?

Needless to say I'd prefer to stay around the €300-400 but would rise to €600 for a particulary good package if someone can point me in the right direction.

Also is there anyone here from Ireland who has ordered from Richer Sounds, how have you found them with them no longer having a Dublin outlet but only based in Belfast.

hornydragon

PM Rainbow6 who bought a canton CD1 system for £400 ish which i think is at top of your budget, but worth looking out for a deal on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom