1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FWIW- My opinion on the Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Barend, Jun 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I just installed my 3805 and being the jolly optimist I am I will sum up a few negative points for starters:
    1. Although it looks the part, I hate the remote: It wants you to believe it's a real touch screen, but it ain't: all cheap feeling switches underneath the foil.
    So tomorrow I will get a Dell Axim X3 pda (because it has the strongest ir transmitter) and putv Total Remote or Pdawin on it.
    2. The remote is hard to see in daytime- found myself using a magnifier!
    it also is too large I think...
    3. The remote switches off after 20 secs max so you have to shake it.
    4. Bass management is not very extensive, my H.K. AVR5550 could be set for every input separately, the Denon can't. I thought there was a separate movie/music b.m. position but haven't found it (yet), they probably meant the extra surround speakers sockets (for dipoles).
    I would've liked to use 40Hz rollover just for stereo and 60 or 80Hz for cinema.
    5. The 3805's display is impossible to read from 4m distance.
    6. Here in Europe the EU in Brussels banned banana plugs, just because some moron killed himself by applying mains to them :zonked: and while most manufacturers just put in little bungs Denon had to choose a more permanent way: THEIR bungs had to be drilled out (my wife asked what on earth I was doing hacking away with the power drilll).
    There is no other way to connect 6mm wire!

Now some positives:
    1. It looks like a megabuck receiver, and is built very classy. :thumbsup:
    2. It seems to poll the inputs and also remember the last setting, so when I switched to cd the lcd dimmed completely after a few secs, cause I had used the cd in pure direct mode. Nice!
    3. The video quality is fine and the upconverting painless, so I could just connect component cables to the plasma. :)
    4. I love the big input selection knob, also most of the setup works on the receiver too, and almost exactly the same as on the remote. Good thinking!
    Now going to listen (a lot!).
    5. Nice it has Denon Link build 3, but I'm pretty sure Denon won't offer an upgrade kit for my 2900 player...

Please don't kill me for the negative points friends, sure I'll find more good points...
    Barend

2. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting.....I didn't have any bungs in my speaker connectors.
    Just plugged bananas straight in.

Maybe it depends whether it's a UK or European model.

3. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you use the mic auto-setup yet?

How did you find it?

I thought it was extremley accurate,and was well pleased with the results.I actually found the bass was set pretty much perfect by the mic,smooth dynamic and very involving...lots of punch too,yet without the harshness of some amps I've used.

AS far as the display goes,DENON are well known for prefering the on screen display,so if your using a plasma, projector or big tv, which they assume you will be,then its perfect for adjusting in-movie.

When I first had the amp I wasn't overly impressed with its music performance,but since then I can now say the it brings it just fine...as it does with home cinema of course...

Be intrested in your findings,the more you familiarise youself with it.

cheers :hiya:

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, the UK is sort of a UK member (but not in all respects) so your country has not yet been struck by the EU madness?
    Barend

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I did perform it, but on checking I found figures for tone correction FR +8dB which surprised me, dunno yet but maybe I'll use it just for level.
    Barend