Fuzz/Grain on 100hz Tosh Rear Projections

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Splinter, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm not really sure if this is the norm or not. The problem i'm having is a grainy picture which varies on how bad it is with different DVDs. Mainly the dvds i've got which fill the whole screen without any black bars are the worst. The grain is more obvious in dark scenes and when I'm watching in a dark room.

If you switch the TV to picture mode 1 that's the effect i'm talking about at it's worst. Saying that though i'm not sure if it's the same on all sets. Anyway basically i'm just wanting to know if any of the other Tosh RP owners out there see this grain and if it's normal 100hz thing.

The worst offender for me is the Sopranos boxsets to give an example - i'm hoping it's just a poor transfer on the DVD not the TV.

With this, drifting convergence, faint dark vertical lines on the left handside, and it seeming impossible set the convergence spot on in the first place( can't get rid of those damn blue outlines in places) I'm starting to lose it with this TV.

Ah well cheers for any insight into this!

edit: Picture Settings

Contrast 38
    Brightness 38
    Colour 40
    Tint -8
    Sharpness -45
    Scan Mode Natural(100hz seems to make no difference)
    DNR OFF

2. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this helps but I have the Sony 44PS2 RP set and I think the grainyness you refer to is just due to the sheer size of your screen. I notice it more on static backgrounds of the same colour.

I am satisfied on my set that this is purely due to size - if I put text on and get the TV picture in a smaller window - that looks clearer - as its smaller. If you look on a 32" CRT set closely - you will seen grain and fuzz even on a DVD.

One thing I want to try is a superbit DVD which apparently are very well suited to larger screens.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    No grain on my Tosh RP. DVDs usually show off the TV at it's best.

Are you using a good quality SCART lead on RGB?

What's the pic like from other sources?

4. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Component connection for viewing DVDs. Haven't tried it with scart yet. I can't really see what the picture's like on analogue TV as I've got really bad reception.

After watching Sopranos last night I wasn't very happy with it, but I just scanned through Lord of the Rings and it does look so much better - it's there but only slightly.

One other question I've been wanting to know - On the convergence screen with the crosses, you have one main cross in the middle and the 9 little crosses around it. On those little crosses is the blue cross behind the white alot thicker than the white? So it makes getting rid of the blue impossible.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Component is probably better than RGB SCART, but I would try it anyway.

Yes, the blue crosses do tend be thicker, don't know why though.
    You'll never eliminate them completely, so just align them as best you can.
    Also, don't know what your colour vision's like, but mine (like most males) isn't too good on some colours, so it may help to get a second opinion by someone with good colour vision.

6. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other question - If you set the Tosh to Sharpness 0 does the grain get bad? I have to set it well into the negatives to get it looking ok.

7. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kev, didn't see your reply when i posted the last message. I'll give the scart a go and see what happens. Also good to know that the convergence looks normal - thought maybe the blue was out.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    When I first got my set I spent ages messing with the crosses on the convergence screen. To the point where it became obssesive!

Once you've got them as good as you can, leave them, or you'll be forever fiddling with 'em :)eek: ooh er missus!)

Also, let the TV 'warm up' for about 45 mins before you do any convergence adjustments.

I leave my sharpness on 0 and use 100Hz most of the time.
    I use 'Natural Scan' for static material, i.e teletext, menus, stills etc.

btw, what model Tosh do you have?

9. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 42WT29. I turned the sharpness up to 0 on LOTR and while it looked pretty good during daylight scenes the dark ones had annoying grain on - i might get an engineer round to check it out, to find out if i'm being paranoid or not.

10. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh is also grainy. I watched the Martin Clunes A for Acid last night and it was really grainy.
    Wasn't sure if it was made deliberately like that to make it look like a period drama. When the adverts came on they were clear. But adverts tend to be bright.
    In the dark scenes it was really annoying. Also get it via DVD and I am connected with component lead so I know that is not the problem.
    I watch on natural scan. 100Hz is too flickery on my TV.
    HELP

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    'A For Acid' was fine on my Tosh RP, no grain at all.

btw, 'Natural Scan' is still 100Hz and I find it to be 'juddery' on moving subjects, although it is better with static material.

12. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got this faint dark line about an inch thick on the left hand side of the screen getting worse now so that's another reason to get the engineer down - I'm just wondering if this grain will be classed as a fault, they'll probably just say that's how it's supposed to look.

I haven't seen A for Acid so I can't comment on that but check if the grain's on your other DVDs obviously if it's just that one you're ok. The dark scenes are bad for me on practically all my DVDs.

13. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter

I tried your TV settings and its way too dark for me. Do you like your pics dark? Is your room quite dark?

I cant see how you can watch it with your settings as low as that. Or is your set faulty, or is mine!

14. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh well most the time I watch my DVDs with the lights off, but I still find those settings ok for watching regular TV in daylight. It's just personal preference really but I also don't crank the brightness up too much in the hope it prolongs the TV's life.

As long as brightness/contrast is around the mid 40s or below it's fine anyway.