1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Futureproof' plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by digitalbanana, Jan 20, 2005.

1. digitalbanana

digitalbanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im looking at getting a plasma v. soon, but am hesitant because reading these boards it appears that sky will change to HD at 50hz.

I have been looking at pwd6/7's (what a surprise!), but dont know if they will survive 15 months.

So, my questions are:

1. Will sky be releasing SD sky boxes when HD comes out?

2. Will the pwd6 or 7 support the signal from a 'new' HD sky box when they are released? or will new boards be released to cope with the change?

3. (unlikely but worth a try) are there any good HD plasmas out that will support the sky HD signal?

4. Is it worth waiting for 'series 8'? and how long for? will newer HD plasma's be resonably priced?

5. is there anything else really worth knowing that should affect my decision on whether to buy now or later, or what to buy?

I am a student, so my budget is really about 1,500 quid, but can push that up if need be. btw, that is only for the screen not any tuners/etc.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make the right decision.
    cheers.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sit on your CASH for a week mate and i will have a better answer but..... Sky will not stop broadcasting SD your YEars HD will be an add-on pack style thing (~like movies)

THERE is NO Such thing a FUTURE proof..............

3. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I might be wrong, but I wouldn't panic too much. Scenario:

Sky currently earn £x million pounds from its customer base, 90% of which own a CRT television set, with 10% running plasmas and lcd's etc.

Sky decide in the next couple of years to implement technology which will alienate 90% of its customer base, a module so technical it is practically impossible to explain, let alone wire up.

Imagine:

"Hi this is Sky, we wondered if you would be interested in subscribing to our new service for £60 a month. You only need £250 quids worth of leads with names so complex I can't pronounce them, a brand new digi-screen with minimum resolution of 1024x768 obtainable for only five grand, our own convertor to ensure the new signal will work with the new technology etc. etc." ... "erm, will it work with me current tele"?

I'd stick my neck out and say that it would be quite safe to buy a plasma or lcd now that isn't entirely futureproof but change to another set in ten years 'if' Sky or anybody has technology that has actually moved so far in advance that the set needs to be changed.

Anyone still using videos out there? ... initially sold in the 70's!!! :eek:

'If' something brand new comes out I would again guess that a convertor would be brought out which would allow safe transition of slightly new technology to brand new technology.

Just my opinion, of course.

4. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What exactly is so complicated about HDTV ?

Sky doesn't need to explain anything about HD because it's service doesn't exist yet! It's only complicated because people are trying to future proof for an unkown quantity.

Johnny Punter doesn't even know what HDTV is. And he won't until Sky starts pushing it hard.

When Sky does start pushing HD it will use the following methods:

1. Buy one of our lovely Plasma/LCD packages. Everything you need in one (very large) box !

2. Does your new Plasma/LCD carry the "official" HD ready label ? Get the most out of your display with our wonderful HD service !

Only a single HDMI lead will be required. Not rocket science and besides, Sky will insist on sending someone round to connect it up. Also, fully compatable displays like the Pio 435 can be bought NOW for less than £2,500. Come launch day in 2006 you can bet the going rate for a 42" set will be well under £2K (and much lower for 32" LCD's).

Why buy a Plasma/LCD that isn't HD ready? So you can spend the next ten years bemoaning your lack of foresight ? You won't have to wait ten years for the technology to advance beyond a non HD ready display. It'll take eighteen months, tops !

Yes, SD Sky will be arround for years. But when HD Sky arrives it will get pushed and pushed hard !
    Sony, Panasonic and Sharp et al are banking on this to ramp up sales in the coming years.

If it ain't got HDCP you'll be screwed, so don't risk it !

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you're a student, you probably won't be able to afford the cost of Sky's HDTV box and subscriptions anyway. :rolleyes:

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    a few key questions. Can you all afford the subscription, will there be any content, can the average sky installer deal with this little lot, (I think not, even if given a box of parts), and as Sky are pushing a plasma that does not conform to their spec, will any such package work? With maybe 18 months to launch, fewer than 1% of households are properly equipped by my reckoning of market shares and numbers. If I were Murdoch, I'd be worried. HDCP may be forced on them by content providers, but it's going to kill them to implement.
    There is simply not the kit on the market to future proof you all, it's not just displays, we need HDMI AV amps offering switching, not just for £5k, but for £500. Come to that even Lexicon have no released plans for this kind of thing, though I'd go for them and the new Onkyo as the most likely candidates, they can be upgraded with new modules. Realistically, how future proof are any current displays? You are going to need at least 2 HDMI inputs, and this is not allowing for game consoles. Maybe the content won't be protected there, but it will be digital.

7. digitalbanana

digitalbanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may not be able to when the come out as i will still be a student, but later along the line i may be able to. See, the point i am getting at is if i get this now, will it be compatible later...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    later when later 2 years? 5 years? 20 years?

9. digitalbanana

digitalbanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 years.

another thing is, the PWD7 has HDCP, does that mean that it can accept and display a HDMI signal or is that just the protection part of the HD concept?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    7 series panny has HDMI board, 6 series has DVi (compat with 7) but the dont support 720p and 1080i at 50HZ (do at 60Hz and via analogue) support 576p at 50Hz.... and fully HDCP

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It will be interesting to see how hard Sky can push about 3 channels which will have HD content for about 10% of the time :laugh:

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Does the Pio accept 720p and 1080i at 50Hz over HDMI?

Additional point to note for 'future proof' screen:

Many displays that have HDMI connector still do not accept 50Hz signal for HD (High Definition) content, they only accept 50Hz signal for 576 line PAL. Therefore they are not 'future proof' enough to watch SkyHD on.

Probably best to wait for new official EU "HD ready" badges as guide: all sets that carry this will accept 50Hz signal for HD over HDMI connection.

StooMonster

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello StooMonster

Within about five minutes of the European HD 'guidelines' being released earlier this week Pioneer UK had emailed all its dealers a link to the EITCA site and you can bet your boots the printers had already finished the new HD stickers and posters.

Pioneer are obviously keen to push the fact that they are fully HD ready in Europe.

Best regards

Joe

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Good one Pioneer!

Wish everyone else was printing off these labels as we type, but ...

I feel some new models / announcements coming post this regulatory change. :) Perhaps changes to a well known manufacturer's HDMI card for series 7 screens????

StooMonster

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Pioneer is one of the major investors in the European HD satellite Euro1080

They also just happen to be one of the few European TV plasma manufacturers that make a plasma that's capable of displaying the HDTV standard used by Euro1080. If Sky were to do this, there would be cries of "Foul play !" and "Monopoly !".

16. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Many plasmas can display 1080i @ 50Hz via analogue connections, the bone of contention is these same HD signals via digital connections such as HDMI.

StooMonster

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello StooMonster

No changes 'on the cards' for the Series 7 - it'll be Series 8 before we see a card with improved 50Hz support!

Nick_UK - I'm pretty sure Pioneer are a 'Sponsor' of HD1; I don't think they have big money 'invested' in the company.

I see Pioneer Europe already have the NEW HD Ready logo up and running - http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/body.jsp

Best regards

Joe

18. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  19. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wouldn't worry about HD. I have just bought a Panasonic TH42PE30 plasma which is fantastic in the full knowledge that HD is coming, doesn't bother me that it isn't HD. The way I look at it, is HD will take a long while to take off and it will be very expensive and I am not willing to act as a guinea pig whilst Sky test the new box on me. In the future if HD takes off I will probably invest in it but that is way down the tracks at the moment.

20. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Thanks Joe.

Can't say I ever really expected Panasonic to make series 7 cards with 50hz support -- not on their track record!

And in another thread Gordon tells me that series 9 will see 1920x1080 resolution so I may wait until then for upgrade ... but you never know, come autumn I may not be able to resist a 50" series 8 with native 1366x768@50Hz.

StooMonster

21. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Pioneer are a Japanese company.

Steve

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Wise words.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You don't say ! :rolleyes:

They are a Japanese company trading in Europe. If you want to be picky, there aren't any European TV manufacturers, because they're all made in Asia.

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If we're all going to be pedantic here, I should point out that PAL is an encoding system used on analogue TV, not digital.

25. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    These TV's are made in Europe :)

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    60 Euros each ? I said "TV", not "piece of sh*t" :laugh:

27. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Some folk will chat endlessly to their mates about one day owning, as you would say, a "piece of sh*t" TV like this!

This "piece of sh*t" is what some poor sod dreams of owning! :laugh:

And it is made in Europe!

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Anybody heard of a danish company called Bang & Olufsen??? or Royal Ducth Phillips...... not TFT or PDP displays but CRT manufacture within Europe.....

29. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Rightly or wrongly it is a short-hand term commonly used to describe 576i or 576p @ 50Hz :p

e.g. PAL DVD or NTSC DVD, no such thing is there? ;)

StooMonster

30. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,658
    Aren't you good at winding people up and being insulting?
    Have a week ban off to contemplate how to win friends and influence people.