Futureent.com's sting in the tail

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warning: if you make an order from Futureent and cancel it they will refund you the full amount, minus 2%. This applies, even if they haven't shipped anything to you!!!

Here's what it says on the web site:

Now, I made an order and emailed them just 10 minutes after asking them to cancel it. They debited my credit card and then refunded me the full amount minus the 2% - as it says they would do on their website!! I think this is taking things to the extreme!! :mad: They haven't even shipped anything to me! :eek:

Suffice it to say I am extremely miffed. Luckily the order was only for £10.99, but imagine if it had been more :eek:

I am going to be extremely careful when I order from them in future to make sure that I will definitely not want to cancel my order and, naturally, I would advise you all similarly.

The quote above makes this sound like this is a problem due to their processing of credit card transactions. Well, excuse me... but surely if they didn't debit credit cards so quickly, they wouldn't have this problem?????? I think it's unfair of them to make customers pay for deficiencies in their processing :(

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been exploring the DTI website and have come across the following useful information regarding Distance Selling and refunds (taken from http://www.dti.gov.uk/cacp/ca/policy/distanceselling/pdf/bus_guide.pdf):

As nothing has been delivered, and they do not have to recover the goods, is Futureent allowed to charge 2% in this way???? Can someone please advise or give an opinion???

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI Squirrel,

Is "Future Entertainment" a UK-based company? If they are, then it would APPEAR that they may be breaking the law. If not, however, then depending on where their company is based in the world, then their own local country's laws would probably apply. If that is the case, then they may well be allowed to do this.

Either way, it sucks big time! Computer companies in the UK, tend to do this as well, but again, I don't know how legal it actually is.

Your best bet would be to contact the Department of Trade And Industry and see what they have to say. YOu would need to provide evidence though, so you may want to download and/or print off copies of their websites pages, just to be sure.

Pooch

P.S. Your "avatar" is from "Hellraiser" isn't it? It's of Pinhead... I think. ;)

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch,

Thanks for replying.

They ship from the UK and the address given on their website is:

PO Box 317
    Sittingbourne
    Kent
    ME10 4LE

However, the invoices that they send out with the DVDs state the following address:

A. G. Express
    Dorman Road
    Mississauga
    North America

If that wasn't confusing enough (!), the credit card charges appear as "Personal Imports".

I don't really want to take it to the DTI because they shouldn't really be selling R1 DVDs and I don't want to be unable to use them anymore (and I'm sure everyone else wants to continue to use them as well!). They have lots of stuff that we wouldn't otherwise be able to get hold of without directly importing and their prices are good .... :rolleyes:

I'm sure my credit card company would refund me any difference, but my main reason for posting was to warn other members of the forum in case they made an order, cancelled it, and got a nasty shock like I did.

I just think Futureent shouldn't be so mean about this issue, especially when you've just made an order and cancel it immediately! You're right - it sucks big time! :(

I have emailed Futureent and will wait to see what they say. Depending on how they respond, I might paste them the DTI info that I pasted above and see if they have the courage to reply ;) I won't be hounding them about this though; merely bringing the issue to their attention and trying to persuade them that they shouldn't really be doing this ;)

I will also continue to use them - but carefully!

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dear God,
    Well what can you say " it did exactly what it says on the tin".
    A wee bit harsh to charge you 2%, especially as you cancelled so quickly, normally it's good practice to refund your card in full.
    I believe they are entitled to do so, to cover their costs, but more likely it is applied as a penalty to reduce administration of changed orders.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gringotts,

Are they entitled to do so given Distance Selling legislation though?????

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    SG & Pooch ... Just my couple of p's worth but having used FE for some considerable time I generally find they the lowest price around for new stuff / preorders & some older stuff as well - They have recently started to stock DVD-A (which I am interested in - recently got Night At The Opera from them) ...
    They are also one of the quickest to receive new titles & get them out if possible B4 the due date ...
    I dont agree with their policy but hope that it might only affect someone once or twice in a lifetime - I could of course be proved wrong but as SG says I will continue to use them - if it suits me!
    Paul ;)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it's not! I got it from an IBM website and distorted it out of its original aspect ratio to get it to 50x50 pixels. It's probably why so many people think it's someone else! So far had Adolf Hitler, kd lang and now Pinhead :D

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once in my lifetime anyway. I won't get caught out again ;)

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dear God,
    They may well argue that raising an invoice, subsequent cancellation and time involved has a cost to their business. A hard ball view to take, but the legislation does allow for "reasonable" costs to be retained by a supplier.
    The card company is often blamed as most people believe a percentage of a transaction is charged to a business by the issuer or processor.
    In reality most suppliers of this type will pay a flat fee regardless of how many transactions, so not refunding a "card fee" when cancelling shouldn't figure.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger :( I couldn't find anything to this effect though - they even have to refund the delivery charges unless this was under a separate contract. I'll take your word for it though, seeing as you are "in the industry" ;) Cheers :)

Edit - I'm going to recommend to them that they put a CANCEL button next to each order, like Play do. That way, I can cancel the order before they start trying to debit my credit card. Bet they don't go for it though ;)

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dear God,
    Good suggestion, maybe you'll be surprised... if they do implement it everyone will know who to thank.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone will say "Thank God" :D:D:D

*groan*

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SquiddedGolf,
    Do you realize you've wasted 20 quids worth of your time moaning about 20p :D

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chap,

It's 22p actually - and it's not the amount it's the principle... so there! :D

Haven't wasted £20 of time anyway, I'm worth more than that :p and my Internet access is flat rate matey ;)

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the classic case of making a mountain out of a mole hill! *Delphi shakes her head*

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I can see that by looking at your avatar :p

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the 2% cancellation fee seems to apply to all manner of things.

I returned a disk because it was non-anamorphic and was advertised as being anamorphic on the Future Ent web site.

They agreed to a refund, as you might expect.

But it took them almost 5 weeks to refund my money and to get the refund I had to really keep on at them about it.

When they finally did refund my money:

- They did not refund my return postage (£1.20)
    - They kept 2% of the £14.99 that the disk cost (30p)

So, because of something that was their fault entirely, they have cost me £1.50 and made me wait 5 weeks for a refund that I had to virtually beg them for.

I can tolerate most of their terms and conditions, but this has just become ridiculous now.

No more Future Ent for me. They call this customer service? They can get stuffed. :)

Thanks to Confucius and Encaser for recommending A&B Sound as another alternative for ordering R1 DVDs. They have worked out cheaper than Future Ent (yes, even with the international postage added on top!) and I have received excellent customer service from them so far.

19. Samantha

Samantha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just think what they r making in total for nothing

20. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    well we're a retailer and to put one fact straight as well as paying a flat fee per month for our credit card terminal we also have to pay per transaction. 3.0% for credit cards and 39p for debit cards and that is a per transaction charge every retailer pays one (rates vary of course). This charge is not refunded to us if we have to refund a customers card.
    As a retailer we swallow this cost but as Fture offer good prices in the first place their margins would be low in the first place so I don;t have a problem with this charge..:)

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even when they've cost you money with a mistake that is entirely their fault??? :eek: Perhaps you should read my previous post more carefully ;)

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    not really mate, I read your post but the thread was about the cancellation fee in general..:)
    Your case is obviously different and quite clearly wrong and if Future valued their customers they would/should sort it.

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you agree :)

24. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    I do mate, wholeheartedly. Being a mail-order biased business ourselves we thrive on recommendations and hopefully top customer service. Of course they could always claim they were informed the relevant disc was anamorphic when it wasn;t but that is their problem with their supplier..

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the email I sent to FutureEnt yesterday regarding the last problem I posted about:

Nice and polite I thought. As you might imagine, I was gritting my teeth as I typed it ;)

Here is the reply I received from FutureEnt today:

:eek: Shocking!! :eek:

Beware those of you who continue to use FutureEnt and ever have a disk damaged in transit or receive a faulty disk from them - you will have to pay the return postage out of your own pocket.

26. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the goods are faulty, you shouldn't have to pay for the return postage as stated on the Trading Standards site about distance selling regulations .."The seller may charge you the cost of collecting the goods or you may have to pay the return postage - unless the goods were faulty in the first place."

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. That's right. Perhaps someone should remind them about distance selling regulations.

As far as they are concerned though, they are being "very nice" not to charge for postage in the first place, and therefore they do not refund return postage because they gave it to you free in the first instance. Totally idiotic logic of course.

From their website:

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,195
    Hi Squirrel

I thought you present avatar looked like the demon who pops up at the beginning of the Devil Rides Out, then again it could be SLJ as Shaft.;)

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garrett,

It is definitely SLJ ;) :D

That comment was related to one of my older avatars :)

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,195
    What was the avatar of then when it looked like Pinhead ?