Future tech that didn't make it?

Technics SL-DZ1200 Digital cd player.

Should've been the successor, but Pioneer had established itself with its CDJ as the replacement for the trusty vinyl technics SL turntable.

The C5 had the age old bicycle problem. You can create the bikes, but without real infrastructure support for 15-20mph vehicles cycling as practical transport is not going to take off in a big way.

I was looking up the stats for the Sinclair C5 the other day. It had a 420Wh battery pack, 250W motor and 15mph top speed. Almost exactly the same as today's eBikes.

It's a little bit on the heavy side at 45kg, but similar vehicles today (faired delta trikes and velomobiles) can be 30-35kg so not excessively so. And it was relatively cheap, the equivalent to £1,150 today.

Minidisc. I still have a Panasonic hifi in my shed that plays them.
I fell for MD BIGTIME.
Had a MD Walkman.
MD player in the car.
MD player at home.

Then when they released the HD Minidisk with the 1gb discs I bought into that too!

Then it all died and I she'd a little tear as a gazed upon all the resources I put into the medium :(

Digital video tape:
the D-VHS format and 8mm Digital8 successor to Hi8.
A few D-VHS VCRs on the used market, and many D8 camcorders, but both came out just before recordable optical disc and compact solid-state flash memory took off. Then HD video with digital cameras and PVRs made them both obsolete.

3D TV and curved screens.

1592777033581.png

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss out of my post, or I've missed a joke. Care to elaborate?

Sure, happy to elaborate.

I am not taking the piss out of your post.
I am not a fan of 3DTV and could care less about its demise.
A certain ex-member was a big fan of 3DTV but claimed not to be bothered when it was canned, and given he used the above meme often it seemed appropriate.

I hope this covers all your concerns.

UHD Disc - streaming is where the trend is.

Video 2000
I thought it was awesome!
record twice as much on a tape by flipping it around and recording on the other side, just like a cassette!

Quality wise, it was alright, old home CRT tv's were hardly great enough to tell the difference.
I eventually had to bite the bullet and get a VHS eventually mostly because of video+ recording codes.

Video 2000
I eventually had to bite the bullet and get a VHS eventually mostly because of video+ recording codes.
I don't think video+ was essential, but do acknowledge that both Grundig and Philips V2000 model timer setting methods were quirky. My S-VHS decks (Grundig, and JVC with optional adapter) had Teletext timer setting (and Teletext+PDC on my later Philips one).

Supersonic passenger flight.

Self-driving taxis (before self-sterilisation was included).

There were rotary engines and Betamax players, what else can you think of, and will electric cars be next, lol?:D

Mazda RX4

Betamax tape

Betamax card

The ****el engine used by Mazda didn't disappear as long ago as your link would suggest (1975). The RX-8 is still commonplace on the road today and Mazda only stopped production of that model in 2012. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Mazda brought it back (again) for a hybrid car in the future.

Whilst hardly the most eco-friendly engine in existence, I think it's worth bearing in mind that not all companies chuck an electric motor in a car so it can save polar bears, some do it just to make a fast car even faster :)

WebOS and Windows Phone OS -> I really liked both, WebOS would always have been nice and the Palm Pre was great in its day, but HP bought them and then didn't do anything with it really. Windows Phone OS I'm still amazed by that it didn't make it. I honestly thought that would be the proper third phone OS and provide nice machine level integration like Apple does and beyond.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom