Future Streamers

tododo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Itching to buy a networked streamer - as the xbox 360 is unable to play mkvs and now I have a nice HDTV finally I want to bring everything up to scratch.

The choices I have been looking at are the AC RYAN FLUXX, the Xstreamer Prodigy and the WDTV HUB 1tb

All look good especially the ones yet to be released

Ideally I would love XBMC however the ATV2 doesnt do 1080p so thats outta the question

Any thoughts on which could potentially be the better option???

Also is streaming 3d possible at all - have a cat 6 network here

From what Ive read this isnt available at the moment?
Thanks for any info

The ATV2 does do 1080p x264 videos it's just scaled down to 720p as the display is locked to that output.

The Fluxx is still in development, the Xtreamer is just another Realtek player with fancy case and the WDTV Live Hub is available and seems to pretty good from reviews.

Full 3D Blu-ray isn't possible the support isn't there yet, self encoded SBS x264/MKV 3D videos do work with all players although only a handful actually support their own UI in 3D mode so it doesn't look weird when viewing in 3D.

Have you considered the Boxee Box?

more expensive than the wdtv live, but similar to xbmc in the way it collates movie art and info.

Also has apps included to stream various content from around the web

plays all my media files inc. 30gb blu ray rips and I believe it can also handle (not sure about streaming) 3D rips

No I havent really considered it after reading reviews when it was released that it wasnt that great - so that put me off really

User experience maybe totally different though I guess

Will check out their forums to get the info on it at some point

Would really like XMBC so was toying with the idea of the ATV2 however you never know with apple if they will be releasing a 3rd gen ATV this september that could be a winner

Think ill just sit tight for a few months just to see what happens

I think if you want something that plays all your files, organises them nicely, has wifi, streaming capabilities and 1080p dts hd audio then I think the boxee box would suit you fine.

I too was looking at the ATV2 but the whole 720p and no usb really put me off

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom