Future Sky Charges?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by asimmd, Jan 3, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I am at the stage now where I want to either scrap Sky altogether, or do it properly and get Sky Plus.
    Question is,how long can/will Sky keep putting the prices up before it becomes non cost effective.
    I pay £41 per month,but when is it likely to go to £51/£61/£71.
    I admit that their coverage of most things is superior to the usual channels,but prices can only keep rising for so long,can't they?
    Regards
    Alan

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky have increased their charges periodically ever since the launch, and I don't think they will stop now, especially since HDTV is going to take a lot of investment.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think they will continue to increase the charges by £1 or £2 each time maybe once or twice a year. I always said that £50 would be my limit and if it ever went over that then i would remove SKY. However, by the time it reaches that cost what will £50 a month be worth? Not a lot really, and as (sadly) my days of going out every weekend, for (ahem) a couple of drinks, are well and truly over perhaps it's better that i spend my money on TV rather than a night out (which let's face it you will probably spend a least £50 in one night)If you are already paying £41 a month then i would definitely advise you to try SKY+*
    It's bloody fantastic really...

(* don't be fooled into spending money on the 160gb version...it's not really value for money at the moment)

4. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    When I found I could rent unlimited DVDs from blockbuster for a fixed monthly fee I dumped Sky. I miss Stargate but since I'm planning to go plasma soon I would be worried about the screen burn from Sky's logos anyway. I'll just have to wait until this season is on DVD then I can get it from blockbuster. Films of course are out on blockbuster as soon as sky box office (I saw Shrek 2 the day after it was in the shops).

In case you've not seen these DVD by post scheme it works like this. You pay 14 quid per month, they sent you 3 DVDs in post. Watch one. Send it back (postage is free). They send you the next. And so on. You set your list up online in the priority you'd like (doesn't always happen that way though). Realistically with the post you could watch 12 movies of your choice per month. IMO far better than Sky as you can choose movies you like, new or old, TV series (Stargate, etc), even anime, and informative DVDs.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Tesco's also do it a quid cheaper, and you get Tesco points.

However, I watch much more than movies on my Sky+ box.

6. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I often wondered about these DVD rental companies,I would find it hard to watch that many movies a month,but if it works for you!!!
    I have to be honest and say that I would miss Sky if it was turned off,I've had it since the old Analogue days and it's part of the family now,you only realise how much you liked it when you haven't got it anymore.
    Looks like Sky plus for me then,anyone know if there are anymore offers due soon,I don't really want multi-room.
    Regards
    Alan