1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future proofing - what cables to behind new wall for LCD TV sources??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mjw123, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guys,

I'm having an extension built and am at the moment trying to decide which cables i'm going to need to feed the HD LCD TV i plan to buy. The cables will be behind plasterboard so I have to get it right now and plan ahead.

I was thinking of two 1.5m ixus XFT02 scarts like these (are they any good ?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/202-2828028-3999801

Also was going to put my Xbox scart cable - but what will I use for Xbox 360 ? - I guess it's not possible to buy the required cable for Xbox 360 yet ?

I guess I should be putting some form of HDMI cable in there as well.

Finally will the Ixus scart be good enough for a HD DVD player or should I consider putting a component cable in as well ready for my HD DVD player ?

I suppose thinking about it will scart also be sufficient for a HD STB freeview when they come along as well ?

Grief what a lot of cable to worry about !

In Summary - currently will be running Xbox, DVD & Freeview to new LCD TV.......in future will want to run Xbox 360, HD DVD & HD Freeview......so what should I do cable wise ??

Many thanks for your help on this.

Mike.

ps Will standard gold plated RCA phono's be sufficient to get sound to my Surround Amp from the HD TV ?
    pps I'm thinking that Scart probably doesn't support HD - is this correct???

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Having being caught short last year by not installing a DVI-D cable , because Hidef wouldn't be here any time soon :oops: .
    I would recommend installing 1 of every input on your screen :D
    atb
    John (wondering how he is going to tell the wife he is gonna need to hack the walls to bits again :eek: )

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    AFAIK, Scart doesn't support HD so you'll need either component of HDMI/DVI cables for that.

John

4. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I would run 1 Scart, 1 Component and 1 DVI/HDMI dependent on your screen. You can then use switching to run in multiple sources rather than having a cable per box!

FYI - The XBox 360 will, initially, output it's Hi-Def signal over component...

5. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I go with johnscarlet and connect 1 cable per type but it all depends on your A/V source. Even a s-video cable comes in handy when a friend drops by to show u a home made movie of his daughter.... in that old sony camera :rolleyes:

6. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
  7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks Guys - for the component cable will I be able to by an adapter (extender) that will allow me to connect my Xbox 360 cable to the component cable coming out of the wall ?

8. McChubby

McChubby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you install trunking within/behind the plasterboard that is sufficiently wide for you to pull thru new cables in the future? That way if you forget something (or need to connect something that hasn't been invented yet), then you'll always be OK and not have to dig the wall out.

Just an idea.