Future-proofing projector installation

Jarndyce

Novice Member
Future proofing projector installation

Hello
I am looking at installing a ceiling projector into a new build room.
I’ve inherited an unused Epson EH-TW6000W which I will use for the time being. However, as it’s not 4K, and it won’t last forever, I have two questions:

1) Is there an ”average” throw distance that covers most projectors? I‘m planning on mounting it around 3-4m from the screen, but I don’t want to move the mounting point on the ceiling when I eventually replace it.
I know throw distances/screen sizes can be calculated accurately, but I want to be in the right ball park so that I can keep my options open for the future.

2) The HDMI cable run is around 8m. What’s the best option for running a cable? I only want to do this once. I’ve heard a lot of the fibre active cables can fail. This would be a real PIA to re-run once it’s all plastered and built. I figured cat6 with something like this would be the best bet:
HDMI extender

Thanks in advance :)
Ps I know the Epson has a wireless HDMI option, but I want to run cable.

Superhans

Is it not simpler to just mount as far back without impacting ventilation?

Projectors do seem to vary in throw distances and there is probably a bit of variance within the same brands. It does matter as AV is all about screwing that couple of % extra performance.

At the moment I’m wary of upgrades as newer projectors have slightly reduced throw distance and I’m on the limit with my current setup.

On a side note I’ll never understand why manufacturers don’t have side vents rather than front and back.

Superhans

In regard to cable I entirely sympathise. I had an installer fit two decent 8m 4K cables which were sealed in ceiling void running over and down into a cabinet.

I didn’t have any 4K sources to test initially and when I finally did neither of them could manage a stable signal. I ended up buying an expensive hybrid fibre cable; fortunately I was able to thread it through Atmos holes into position but it was a major pain.

Best advice incorporate a decent containment solution.

Jarndyce

Novice Member
Is it not simpler to just mount as far back without impacting ventilation?

Projectors do seem to vary in throw distances and there is probably a bit of variance within the same brands. It does matter as AV is all about screwing that couple of % extra performance.

At the moment I’m wary of upgrades as newer projectors have slightly reduced throw distance and I’m on the limit with my current setup.

On a side note I’ll never understand why manufacturers don’t have side vents rather than front and back.
Thank you.
I can mount it pretty much where ever I want. The Epson has both intake and outlet vents on the front, either side of the lens.

But your comment about newer projectors having reduced throw distances is telling; if I mount the Epson 4m from the screen, am I going to have trouble upgrading in the future?

Superhans

Thank you.
I can mount it pretty much where ever I want. The Epson has both intake and outlet vents on the front, either side of the lens.

But your comment about newer projectors having reduced throw distances is telling; if I mount the Epson 4m from the screen, am I going to have trouble upgrading in the future?
It’s impossible to say. If your worried just go with a slightly smaller screen size so you have some flexibility.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Projector - you have to factor in Throw Distance, Image size plus lens position in the Projector chassis.

Also keep in mind the position of the power and Input sockets on a projector varies from chassis to chassis!

Epson are usually a good option in terms of zoom and image position user adjustments but tricky to guarantee your ceiling mount for the EH-TW6000 is going to be in the correct place for your next projector.

HDMI cabling - if possible use a large conduit and run Fibre HDMI plus a couple of CAT6 (as backup) and have a think about how you plan to trigger your projector to go out of/into standby and your screen rise/fall if you are going with a motorised screen.

Joe

alebonau

ceiling mount, could go with a universal type that will take upto 22kg.. eg the PRG-UNV peerless mount from B&H

this has got me through 5 projectors over years... 2 epson.. 3 jvc.. should have you covered...

cable... this is tricky... but only one i know at around 8m is the 32.8feet cable matters cable that is certified for ultra high speed... yep this is one of first but this should have you covered given its hdmi.org certification... for a long time...

Amazon product
projector mounting... 3-4m is not far from a screen... problem you have is 3 is probably going to suit shorter throw projectors, 4... longer throw... just depends on screen size wish to throw

if want check projector central for kind of dream projectors you might consider in the future ... and go with something that fits in with those ... with some room to play... this is probably your best bet.

ive somehow with my position and screen size been able to fit in quite a few projectors over the years so it is possible as long as not squishing your self into some extreme...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Generally, farthest away the better for the biggest image. You can always zoom in/out.

Cable wise, a fibre optic HDMI cable will be great. If you're a gamer, a fibre optic HDMI 2.1 cable/

Are you projecting onto a wall or a screen?

Jarndyce

Novice Member
Projector - you have to factor in Throw Distance, Image size plus lens position in the Projector chassis.

Also keep in mind the position of the power and Input sockets on a projector varies from chassis to chassis!

Epson are usually a good option in terms of zoom and image position user adjustments but tricky to guarantee your ceiling mount for the EH-TW6000 is going to be in the correct place for your next projector.

HDMI cabling - if possible use a large conduit and run Fibre HDMI plus a couple of CAT6 (as backup) and have a think about how you plan to trigger your projector to go out of/into standby and your screen rise/fall if you are going with a motorised screen.

Joe
Good advice. Thank you.

Jarndyce

Novice Member
Generally, farthest away the better for the biggest image. You can always zoom in/out.

Cable wise, a fibre optic HDMI cable will be great. If you're a gamer, a fibre optic HDMI 2.1 cable/

Are you projecting onto a wall or a screen?
I’m not sure I trust the reliability of fibre HDMI cables. I only know two people who’ve used them, and they both failed within a couple of years. If I thread that through the ceiling, I’m stuffed. So I may try one, but follow the advice of others and put a conduit in with room for Ethernet.

alebonau

I’m not sure I trust the reliability of fibre HDMI cables. I only know two people who’ve used them, and they both failed within a couple of years. If I thread that through the ceiling, I’m stuffed. So I may try one, but follow the advice of others and put a conduit in with room for Ethernet.
thats why we have the ultra high speed certified... at least will be certified to work... and get something like ruipro if can their latest have a lifetime warranty... and yes they can and do fail as fibre is more fragile... also have chips at both end that can play up and go on the blink.

if you want to use a passive cable... there are choices... and two things to keep in mind in decision

1. are you planning to ever go hdmi 2.1 ?
2. can you get by with a cable length of 8m ...say 5m or less

if never planning to go hdmi 2.1 you can buy a certified monoprice at 8m
its certified to work over distance and solid and very well made and no chips and not active, its passive and just will keep on going...

if can go cable length less than 8m say 5m, you can get passive ultrahigh speed hdmi that is certified by hdmi.org and will have you future proofed with all hdmi 2.1 can provide

and do consider possibilities of shorter cables... many folk go conventional route of projector on the ceiling and sources and AVR all the way front of room and have to run then a complicated run of cable all way between. consider an alternative if possible... a rack mounted projector up either behind couch or at back of room. and place source and aVR in the rack and then you have a simple and short cable run... can use the very affordable monorprice or ruipro passive certified cables ...and you are set....

re cat6... its complicated and EXTREMELY expensive.... in my setup looking at over $1k setup to get done and instead i used a $59 passive hdmi instead...also no guarantees on future compatibility of cat-6 as rely on conversions and the very expensive converters is what likely have to replace or will play up...leaving to unreliability and also potential for handshake issues...its not a silver bullet... if anything its a bullet id try and dodge :D

Jarndyce

Novice Member
if never planning to go hdmi 2.1 you can buy a certified monoprice at 8m
its certified to work over distance and solid and very well made and no chips and not active, its passive and just will keep on going...
Thanks. I've ordered a 30ft Monoprice cable. I'll probably add Cat 7, just in case.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom