Future Proofing for HDMI 2.1 with 48 gbps - ugreen?

rsian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm running all my speaker and HDMI cables behind a wall, and although they will be replaceable, it will not be an easy task so I'm looking to get what I will need in place to see me through the next few years.

Will be getting a PS5 at some point so am looking for a 48 gbps cable.

The two main manufacturers seem to be Zeskit and AuduiQuest, but there is a ugreen one here which states 48 gbps >>> Amazon product ASIN B07Y825VFH
Amazon -

UGREEN HDMI 2.1 Cable 8K 60Hz 48Gbps Ultra High Speed HDMI 4K 120Hz UHD Dolby Vision HDR eARC Dolby Atmos HDCP 2.2 Video Lead Compatible with PS4 Xbox One TV DVD OLED Monitor Soundbar(2M)​

Anyone had experience of this cable/brand?

‘Two main manufactures’ - very limited research I would suggest :)

Future proof - conduit and no tight bends or snags if you have to go in-wall, you don’t say how long the in-wall cable run will be?

Connectivity - is changing, the norm for the past few years has been Source > AVR > TV; with the arrival of higher bandwidth and more complex video signals plus eARC you may want to plan around Source > TV > AVR.

Joe

As we have often said, the ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to use a conduit for in-wall installations if you don't have easy access to your cabling. As video standards change and improve the cables will probably need to improve as well. Video technology outpaces connection technology so you need to have a plan in place to safely and easily upgrade your cabling when the time comes, and it will.

First of all, how long will your cable run be, adding in a little extra slack.

'limited research' - maybe I guess :)

I would say instead, that the forum questions and videos I've watched have promoted these two more than others.

Layout - TV mounted on blocked in fire place:
  • Back of TV to back of wall about 80cm
  • Into wall, long 90 degree down turn about 80cm
  • Into back of 5.1 surround sound wall plate with HDMI, sharp 90 degree bend (wall cavity 10cm, depending on length of HDMI cable connector, might have 2cm - 3cm to make a 90 degree bend)
Total length - 1.6m

LG OLED 65BX & Denon X1600H DAB

Connections inside wall:
48 mbps 2.1 HDMI from Wallplate to TV 2.1 HDMI connection
48 mbps 2.1 HDMI from TV eARC to Wallplate
*Future planning for PS5 which will go direct into TV
As the wall plate has 3 x HDMI sockets, I will run an additional HDMI in the wall from the plate to one of the TVs 2.0 HDMI ports (only two of the four are 2.1 on the BX65).

Have a wireless dongle in my current TV (BX65 has been taken back down while I redecorate), so not sure if I still need this.

PS5 > TV > AVR
Firestick > AVR
Blu-Ray > AVR (until PS5)

These cables will be able to be replaced, but not the sort of thing I want to concern myself with for at least the next few years!

A 2m ugreen 48 gbps HDMI cable is £15, so two of these would do the trick if they can indeed handle 48 gbps (or as close as is required)?

Last edited:
The most reliable connection for an active cable (hybrid fiber) is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. The reason is that active cables need to draw power from the sink end for proper operation. Connecting to a wall plate, for example, "terminates" the connection at that juncture and produces a break in the HDMI cable continuity which may, and eventually will, cause issues.

You also want to avoid any sharp, 90º bends as that can cause continuity issues as well. Keep in mind that you are trying to push high resolution video at 40Gbps and greater so your cable connection needs to be as robust and clean as possible.

If 2m is your total cable length, an active hybrid fiber cable is an overkill for most people. The only real advantage would be space constraints and the need for better flexibility, which active hybrid fiber cables have. Your best bet would be to use a passive, certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cable, with the QR label, from someone like Zeskit or Ruipro. However, being as they are passive cables, they do not have the flexibility (bend radius) that the hybrid fiber cables do so you may have to use an active cable, if for the flexibility if nothing else.

UGREEN sells hybrid fiber cables that basically use "off the shelf" components so their reliability and support is not very good, at least from the reports I've seen. Ruipro, which is more expensive, designs and builds their own cables using proprietary chipsets and they have some of the best customer support around.

Thanks Otto, this is what I am going to use:

61RIqKg9nTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Although I think I could get away with the space to make the 90 degree bend behind the HDMI ports, if I added a 90 degree bend connector for extra flexibility, then that is another break.

I can replace the 3 x HDMI module insert with a brush insert instead if I had to, and I think 2m would still be fine for cable length.

Maybe the brush insert is the way to go , that way I also don't have to consider a fibre cable?

If you plan on pushing 4k HDR (HDMI 2.0) or 4k HDR (HDMI 2.1) with an active cable, you're setting yourself up for issues if you use a wall plate, adapters, or extenders.

You want to keep any 90º bend to an absolute minimum, at least to the point before the cable looks crimped. A brush or pass through plate is a good idea and one that I recommend, because that way you maintain the single cable, source to sink install with nothing in-between.

If your total HDMI cable run is going to be under 5m (16'), then I would see if you can get a passive, certified UHS HDMI cable, with the QR label, over there. I know Zeskit is not having Amazon UK carry their cables but you might want to see if Ruipro is offering their new certified, UHS HDMI cables over there yet. As I mentioned though, these cables are stiff so you might want to give yourself some extra length.

80cm is about 30" if my calculations are correct so you may be able to use the pass through or brush plate and make a nice straight connection to your wall mounted tv if the egress point is right behind the tv. If not, then you're going to need a bit more cable to gently go down or up the wall to the HDMI port on the tv if I understand your wall setup. I take it that you don't move the tv up/down right/left. It's in a stationary position?

Using a piece of string and straightest lines possible, the run looks about 1.3m to the plate exit, but allowing for bending I expect it to eventually come out the wall plate about 1.5m - 1.6m. This will leave 40cm - 50cm to get to the receiver - I think it will just make it.

I have ordered the brush plate and 2 x 2m Zeskit Maya cable from Amazon US (shame I didn't plan better as I bought the plate and banana plugs from Amazon US and could have saved shipping).

Using a piece of string and straightest lines possible, the run looks about 1.3m to the plate exit, but allowing for bending I expect it to eventually come out the wall plate about 1.5m - 1.6m. This will leave 40cm - 50cm to get to the receiver - I think it will just make it.

I have ordered the brush plate and 2 x 2m Zeskit Maya cable from Amazon US (shame I didn't plan better as I bought the plate and banana plugs from Amazon US and could have saved shipping).
That's a good plan. I have the 2m Zeskit cables and they work just fine. I have them gently looped and velcro-tied to keep the wiring looking neat because my systems (I have two HTS's) both sit on media consoles as I am not a fan of wall mounted tv's. There is no strain on the HDMI ports, which is something you need to seriously keep in mind as well.

Yep, will make sure there is enough slack.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I will be able to chalk this task of the list soon!

US Wall plate - have you also ordered a US size back box?

Brush plates - good move, you don’t want to be using terminated plates with HDMI.

HDMI cable - look for Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certified cables.

HDMI cable length - leave some spare at the AVR, a common mistake is folk forget to disconnect an HDMI cable before they try and move an AVR, often resulting in tearing the HDMI connector off of the cable.

PS5 > TV > AVR is a good plan to avoid any issues with the AVR interrupting the PS5 signal.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom