Question Future Proofing Ceiling Speakers in Soffit/Pelment 7.1.4

eddiem74

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 5.1 set-up via a Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 Package however am planning on building a soffit/pelmet around the room so was considering adding some ceiling speakers to perhaps lay the foundation for a 7.1.4 set-up like this:

7.1.4.JPG

In my setup the rear surrounds would still be my RXFX's and in the ceiling would be the other set of surrounds and 2 sets of ceiling speakers (speakers 5,7,8 in diagram).

Now I know I may not use 7.1.4 until I upgrade my AVR however does this make sense while I am doing the soffit/pelmet work?

Also in terms of ceiling speakers I am considering sticking with the Monitor Audio FX range e.g. CT265-FX or CT380-FX, however should I just use a pair of these for the surround speakers and then regular 265s for the overhead or?

Thought's?

Thanks,
Eddie

mcspongy

I know MA recommend the CT265IDC (or LCR, whatever they are called nowadays) for Atmos over the CTFX models. Even the CT265's are probably good enough for Atmos but the IDC/LCR models have wider dispersion which is supposedly better for Atmos.

As far as rear surrounds are concerned, I think you'd be best with another pair of RXFX if you can accommodate them (on the wall), as I don't the you would get decent separation if you had in-ceilings used for both 'Atmos height channels' and for surround duties.

The C200-range are a good tonal match for RX range - I currently have one pair of the previous model C265LCR being used as back rear surrounds (with RX6 5.1 set), but they will become the Top Rear Atmos pair when I've decided on which AV Receiver I am going to buy, with another pair of same C265LCR's waiting to be installed (I'm not an installer:D) as the Top Front Atmos pair.

(I managed to find some clearance C265's not that long ago, and they are same as current CT range but just not 'trimless' but they're still completely discreet).

mcspongy

And in terms of is it a good idea to do while you're doing the pelmet, I guess you could (should?) run cables even if you don't do speakers yet (as long as you can still cut the holes at a later stage).

Edit: obviously if it was me I would be convincing Mrs mcspongy that it was absolutely necessary to do the speakers at the same time:devil:).

eddiem74

I know MA recommend the CT265IDC (or LCR, whatever they are called nowadays) for Atmos over the CTFX models. Even the CT265's are probably good enough for Atmos but the IDC/LCR models have wider dispersion which is supposedly better for Atmos.

As far as rear surrounds are concerned, I think you'd be best with another pair of RXFX if you can accommodate them (on the wall), as I don't the you would get decent separation if you had in-ceilings used for both 'Atmos height channels' and for surround duties.

The C200-range are a good tonal match for RX range - I currently have one pair of the previous model C265LCR being used as back rear surrounds (with RX6 5.1 set), but they will become the Top Rear Atmos pair when I've decided on which AV Receiver I am going to buy, with another pair of same C265LCR's waiting to be installed (I'm not an installer:D) as the Top Front Atmos pair.

(I managed to find some clearance C265's not that long ago, and they are same as current CT range but just not 'trimless' but they're still completely discreet).

Thanks mcspongy that is really useful information as I was wondering about the differences in the ceiling speakers and requirements for Atmos. Unfortunately I cannot get another RXFX set in as I have a doorway on one side and the edge of a chimney breast/fireplace on the other, it just does not line up, and even if I tried to make it, the WAF would be an issue.

So I think I will look at a pair of FX ceilings to take the L/R surround duties:

CT265-FX

And then two pairs of IDCs for the front and rear overheads:

CT265-IDC

What do you think?

And in terms of is it a good idea to do while you're doing the pelmet, I guess you could (should?) run cables even if you don't do speakers yet (as long as you can still cut the holes at a later stage).

Edit: obviously if it was me I would be convincing Mrs mcspongy that it was absolutely necessary to do the speakers at the same time:devil:).

No I am definitely going to try and get the speakers in there now as I want to go through this mess only once.

What about prepping for Auro-3D, I have not really looked into it but it appears at first glance it does not totally line up with an Atmos layout and may be tricky to achieve in a less than perfect living room...thought's?

mcspongy

Honestly even MA technical support didn't really recommend the FX in-ceiling range above when I asked about extending to 7.1 - I cannot put RXFX on back wall as there's a window in the way, but I suppose if you have to use ceiling speakers for surrounds then they would be the best choice for filling the space, although I don't really know how well they'll work in conjunction with Atmos speakers.

As far as Auro 3d is concerned, personally I wouldn't bother (it was based on height, not in-ceiling, speakers so probably not WAF-friendly, although I think I read somewhere that might be changing), as there's no real content to exploit and I doubt very much there will be.

eddiem74

Honestly even MA technical support didn't really recommend the FX in-ceiling range above when I asked about extending to 7.1 - I cannot put RXFX on back wall as there's a window in the way, but I suppose if you have to use ceiling speakers for surrounds then they would be the best choice for filling the space, although I don't really know how well they'll work in conjunction with Atmos speakers.

As far as Auro 3d is concerned, personally I wouldn't bother (it was based on height, not in-ceiling, speakers so probably not WAF-friendly, although I think I read somewhere that might be changing), as there's no real content to exploit and I doubt very much there will be.

Thanks again, will give MA tech support an email today and see what they say. Will also check with my AV guy for thoughts to see what they think.

jk330ci

Standard Member
I think it's very important to keep surrounds at ear height and atmos height channels separate. I would imagine it's going to be a very confused sound with your surround backs in the ceiling as well as atmos. Why not just go for 5.1.4 if there is no room on the back wall for speakers.
I also understand direct radiating speakers are best for all channels and not to use bi-pole speakers.

eddiem74

I think it's very important to keep surrounds at ear height and atmos height channels separate. I would imagine it's going to be a very confused sound with your surround backs in the ceiling as well as atmos. Why not just go for 5.1.4 if there is no room on the back wall for speakers.
I also understand direct radiating speakers are best for all channels and not to use bi-pole speakers.

Rear surrounds will be my existing RXFXs and will be on the rear wall just down from where they are currently, however the L/R surrounds I was going to ceiling mount closer to the perimeter of the soffit and then step in for the Atmos front/rear similar to the diagram in the opening post.

Here is a couple of pics of the rear of my room.

Fireplace Right.jpg
Door.jpg

jk330ci

Standard Member
L&r surrounds being 7&8 in diagram or 5.
I wouldn't personally put the (5) speakers in ceiling if your going object based surround.
The standard 5 channels should all be ear height from what Iv read.

eddiem74

I wouldn't personally put the (5) speakers in ceiling if your going object based surround.
L&R surrounds are 5 in the diagram, 7 & 8 are the Atmos front/rear overheads, there is a legend to the right although the numbers on the diagram aren't that clear in the pic.

My existing RXFXs as per my room pic are in the rear back surround position on the wall even in my current 5.1 setup and won't be moving apart from coming down a little closer to ear height.

I've dropped a mail to Monitor Audio tech support stating what I am doing so will see what they say also.

eddiem74

Reply from Monitor Audio:

That would work. You could also use the IDC’s for the sides instead of the FX’s if you wanted to as well. The IDC’s are the ones we recommend for Atmos installations, so you have made the right choices.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom