1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future-proofedness! (???)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Mark Pitchford, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My PJ has a DVI interface (SP 7200) and I'm busy installing this thing onto the ceiling. In addition to power and component video I'm also running some empty trunking to cater for future requirements.

The component cable is already run back to my Arcam DV89 the other end of the room.

The trunking can carry a 20mm cable but that doesn't include connectors. So I don't think a DVI cable will fit, which basically makes me question whether the truncking is a good idea.

Given the liklihood of a projector upgrade in a few years - Do you think I'm best running a DVI cable to the projector or leave the trunking?

The DVI cable would be a 5m one and would need the DVD player to be moved to the same end of the room as the projector.

2. admerial

admerial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, if you are considering of upgrading your projector in the near future it may be benificial to you to go ahead and get a DVI cable. Even though you seem fine currentally with componet it may be helpful if you switch to DVI. By 2006 all projectors must have a DVI connectivity, so if you feel the need to get a DVI cable then go ahead and have some fun.

It is your choice though. Do what ever you feel is best.

Later,
    admerial

[ url removed by Ian J ]

3. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Probably not in the near future as I've just bought the 7200!

However, seeing as though I was ripping ceilings apart I thought it best to stick a digital cable in whilst I was at it. So when the upgrade bug does bite I don't haver to open 'old wounds'.

I've gone for a HDMI cable which means I can use a DVI dongle with the 7200 at one end and who-knows-what in the future.

4. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Mark,

I take it your 7200 takes M1-DA input from your cable source?

I am looking to install 5700 and been debating on a HDMI>DVI>M1 adaptor or HDMI>HDMI>M1 adaptor.

Where did you get your adaptor from HDMI to M1 from if that's the case?