Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Future proof Xbox 2 and PS3 ??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by nero0410, May 7, 2005.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,639
    I am wondering if anyone knows if the xbox 2 and ps3 are going to be backward compatible with the normal xbox 1 and ps2??

Will we be able to keep our existing live and ps2 online accounts and not have to have another one or change/extra charge on top??

These factors have been playing on my mind for some time now, and I dont fancy having to take out extra subscription to play xbox 2 games online.

Also will we still be able to play xbox and ps2 games online once the new machines are out??

If anyone could spread some light on the matter, please post here. I have become quite concerned, mainly about still being able to play all four consoles online (ps2,ps3,xbox,xbox2 etc....)without being charged any more

Thanks

tris

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I really hope so - a few days to find out regarding the xbox...

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    I don't know alot about the PS3(well actually nothing) but as for xbox360 it is 'rumoured' that the verion with the hard-drive will be backwards compatble and as for live accounts it would be wrong for Microsoft not to make the accounts to be ported from xbox to 360. I would of thought that they would keep your gamertag reserved for something like 6 months from launch then after that make it available. All of this will be confirmed on MTV 12/13 May.

But if you have a xbox360 are you really still going to play your xbox either offline or on?!?! Really??

4. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gamertags will stay the same, you'll just sign in on your old account on the Xbox 360 - it will be like using Account Recovery on the current Xbox.

I really hope that Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible, as Pooontang said, evidence suggests that the X360 will have 2 versions, the (more expensive) hard disk version being backwards compatible. Ill bet that the PS3 will backwards compatible as well.

5. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I thought backwards compatible was a good idea on ps2. until i got one then never played my ps1 games on it

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    Exactly

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    All mine did :confused:

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I did a survey for Xbox Live a couple of weeks ago, and this was one of the pages:

[​IMG]

Read into that what you will, but its going to be the case that you can carry your Live subscription across to Xbox 360, and it'd be an unpopular move if you had to pay some kind of supplement. And it certainly hints at backwards compatability.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    I think you mis-read his post. he was saying that he never played a PS1 game on his PS2, not that they didn't work, just that he never bothered.

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,431
    its all guesses. but Nintendo is getting on the act. Revolution backwards compatible with 'Cube games. But unless the revolution are like those Star Trek simulators, I doubt this will help it sell

11. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Backward compatibility is a great feature for a number of reasons:

* You can transfer the loyalty of existing owners immediately to the new console as they feel their 'investments' in software are protected. If the new box is totally incompatible, why should owners of the older system buy it over the competition?

* Not everyone wants a bunch of boxes under the telly.

* The new console instantly has a line of great games that it can play - so no waiting around for stuff to become available for new owners. Also you could tempt owners of other systems that might have fancied having an XBox before and now see a way to get a next-gen console and access to the XBox library of games.

* Owners of the older console will see new software for longer as software developers are more likely to continue developing software if they know that there is a market on the new box too.

Frankly I think MS are 'killing off' the XBox prematurely as there are still fantastic games coming out and the graphics seem to get better and better. It's not like the situation with the PS1 where it was really beginning to fall behind what the market expected with chunky gfx.

If MS bring out a next-gen XBox which is backward compatible I'd seriously consider it. If not I'll sit on my large library of mostly unfinished XBox games until such time as I see ALL the next-gen options. Since the new XBox wouldn't be backwards compatible I have no particular reason to go for it and would be just as likely to go for a PS3. After all I'd then also be able to play PS2 titles........

Gav

12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,639
    Well, this has bought attention to more than expected

Obviously not much to go with on PS3 then

Regarding Live, I should hope they do let you use your existing account with the 360 I presume you can still use the same account with the existing xbox too?? I will still be playing xbox and PS2 on and offline (presuming it will still be available), PS1, MD, MS, SNES, etc... you get the idea :)

I havent collected all those systems and games through my life to not play them, or even sell them on for a quarter of the price that I did pay. I made that mistake when i first got my ps2 tradeing in about 6-10 games just to get one ps2 game, blow that for a game of soldiers

tris

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    :oops:

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    All I'd say about backwards compatability is that when the PS2 came out, Pro Evo wasn't released on a PS2 format, and so I had to play the PS1 version until it was. For that 6 month period, it was very useful.

That is the only time it will be useful, however, so I could sell my Xbox without worrying if I can still play Pro Evo/Forza/Halo 2, none of which will be launch titles for the 360, I'd guess.

15. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for me its important, as I have enough boxes etc under my telly.
    My beloved dreamcast is in a box for that very reason, and if it wasn't I would still be loading the likes of 'skies of arcadia' and 'rez'.
    It wont stop me from buying xbox360, but may well delay me buying it.

16. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The way I see it, standard Xbox 360s wont be able to play normal XBox 1 games because they require Hard Drives. Also, the codecs required to play the Xbox 1 games that were designed to run on the Nvidia chip that is in the Xbox 1, on the Xbox 360s ATI graphics chip requires licensce fees which will be covered by the additional cost of the higher spec Xbox 360.

I cant see the PS3 not being backward compatible to be honest.

17. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Strange you should mention that: I had a Dreamcast from launch day in Europe and I held off buying an XBox for ages because I didn't want two consoles knocking around in my AV system. I finally bit the bullet and got one anyway and they coexisted for a year or so until I caved and bought a second XBox (Crystal), with the intention of chipping the older black one. Then the DC was consigned to the cupboard :-( THREE consoles were just too much.

However, all is not lost as I've finally got around to taking the old XBox for chipping and the DC is temporarily back in it's old place :) Looks like there may be a delay in the chipping so I might break open the cellophane on my Skies of Arcadia and finally play it....... Was eyeing up 'Rez' last night again too. Must .. resist.

Gav

18. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

A lack of hard drive would be only one of the lesser issues. Most XBox games don't use the drive for anything other than caching code.

The real killer would be having to emulate the x86 CPU at full speed for all games and make the ATI chip act like the nVidia gfx chip that's in the original XBox. I gather that a lot of games hit the gfx hardware directly, so that could be the deal breaker for emulation.

If the PS3 is properly backwards compatible, that will be a major incentive for me to get one over the next XBox as if I'm going to have to keep the XBox anyway (and I will want to keep it for my existing library of games) then having a next-gen PS3 _and_ access to the PS2 software library will be a major plus point for me.

Gav