Future-Proof Headphones

rogdodge

Hi,

I would be grateful for a bit of help. :smashin:

I have a CRT TV at the moment, which has an h/phone output jack that I am using for my wired h/phones. I am considering buying new wireless h/phones for this TV and connecting them to the RCA adaptors so my wife can hear the TV when I am using the h/phones.

I also want to use the h/phones at a later date with a new LED TV.

The new TV that I am looking to buy in a few months time only has an audio out connector. Is there a set-up; adaptor or something, whereby the same wireless h/phones can be used with my CRT TV RCA as well as the new LCD TV? :rolleyes:

rog

Drubbing

In some ways good phones don't date. I've a pair of Beyers that have been selling well since the late 60s.

But when you're looking at future connectivity as future proofing, then it's a lot more difficult. TVs have never been high quality audio devices, so good phones aren't really going to perform their best from them - they're really more about video, that's why people buy HT systems to hook up to them.

You might need to look into a DAC or similar to process the signal out of the TV. If it's digital, then you can 'upgrade' the SQ with a decent DAC.

rogdodge

In some ways good phones don't date. I've a pair of Beyers that have been selling well since the late 60s.

But when you're looking at future connectivity as future proofing, then it's a lot more difficult. TVs have never been high quality audio devices, so good phones aren't really going to perform their best from them - they're really more about video, that's why people buy HT systems to hook up to them.

You might need to look into a DAC or similar to process the signal out of the TV. If it's digital, then you can 'upgrade' the SQ with a decent DAC.

Thank you, Drubbing.

I should perhaps have worded my question better. :blush:

I do not mind what I connect to my future TV. I have looked at soundbars and media centres but it is not easy finding out whether they are suitable for headphones which do not mute the TV speakers. As I am connecting through the RCA on my current TV I thought something with RCA connectors might be what I should be looking for.

Forgive me but I do not know what HT systems or a DAC are.

I am considering the Sennheiser RS170 headphones.

Thank you for your input.

Drubbing

HT Home theatre

DAC - digital to analogue converter. All audio devices that play digital audio will have one, because speakers are analog. You won't get a headphone with RCA connectors, that's why an amp or DAC is usually needed, which does take RCA.

Wireless will cost you for wireless, the SQ isn't on a par with wired.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom