1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Proof Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by acanning, Apr 18, 2005.

1. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I know that nothing is completely future proof but I’m considering an upgrade to my Yamaha Receiver and was wondering what to do. Specifically, I need an amp which has a lip-sync adjustment because since the purchase of a new DLP TV this has become a problem. I’m thinking about a Denon 3805 or perhaps an equivalent model from Pioneer but I’m concerned about the impending high-def DVD’s which I think are introducing a new audio format which will need decoding by the amp. Not sure of the technical details though!

Does anyone have any views on what I should do? Is it worth taking the plunge now or should I wait a few months and see what transpires.

Many thanks

Ashley

2. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likely also that HD sky will output HDMI so HDMI switching will become the norm if you use the amp to video switch.

Don't overlook the marantz 7500 and 8500 in your search.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, buying an AV systems is like buying a computer nowadays - "outdated" within a few months after purchase but if you wait you will wait forever.

That leaves you with a few options:
    - don't follow the hype and stick with your equipment
    - upgrade whenever something new comes along
    - buy something expensive that may be upgradable

Unfortunately, as you already said, there is no 100% guarantee that even the most expensive equipment will be upgradable - you are always at the mercy of the manufacturer who can decide if, what, when and how much ($$$). And then there comes the time when the technology reaches it's limits and it's 'end of upgrade', see some high-end processors - many have been entirely replaced by newer versions or completely new products. Same goes for some flagship amps that had an upgrade or two and then no-more (e.g. Denon and Onkyo).
    Even now that some products are made modular the main board may become the limiting factor or you don't have enough amplification on board for future soundformats (that could require more channels).

Ok, so no concrete advise but just a couple of thoughts on the issue for your consideration.

4. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your helpful comments.

Whilst I know that there is always something new around the corner I’m aware that the Hi-def thing is nearly upon us so it seems realistic to only consider amps which are able to cope with the new sound formats. What I was wondering was whether there is anyone out there who knows anything about these before taking the plunge. It can’t surely be very long before manufacturers start producing amps capable of decoding the new formats – whatever they are!

Cheers

Ashley

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    HD-DVD will introduce Dolby Digital Plus and DTS has something new in the pipeline, too, called DTS-HD.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Very interesting Reiner, i wonder if HD will have 'normal' DTS tracks as well as DTSHD or will we all have to upgrade processors if we want HDDVD.

7. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Like many DVD players I would have thought that many of the new HD players will have built in decoding so it would give you a bit more time to save up for a new dedicated amp.