Future proof 32 inch LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Dune, Feb 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello all,

This is my first post to the forums and hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice.

I am after a 32 inch LCD TV and have been looking at all the reviews and had more or less settled on the Sony KLV31M1 as it meets my budget and it is specified as being HDTV compatable i.e. as future proof as you might expect.

However while browsing the mags in W.H. Smith today as you do, I came across an article that stated you will only be able to access the forthcoming Sky HDTV service if you connect via a HDMI or DVI interface.

This is something to do with digital rights management or something like that to prevent illegal copying of material. (DHCP ???) Sounds a bit odd to me but never the less this sets alarm bells ringing that my choice of TV will not be able to access HDTV as it lacks the right connectivity.

So I started looking for alternatives and came across the Toshiba 32WL48 and the same magazine had this coming out top in a four way shoot out including the Sony (the others were a JVC set and a Panasonic).

The HDMI capability was a big plus point in the review given the Sky HDTV issue.

The Tosh is also the cheapest of the sets around but now I see posts in the forum saying HDMI input is no good on this set.

If I buy one I won't be able to test it as I have no HDMI source and would only be getting it for the future Sky HDTV broadcasts. Not much use if come HDTV the picture is rubbish through the HDMI socket.

So, are there any similarly priced alternatives around that sport a HDMI or DVI socket that complies with DHCP?

I am aware of the Philips 32PF9986 but not convinced due to lack of a seperate component video socket. The reasoning behind this being come HDTV the HDTV would need the DVI connection leaving the DVD only Scarts to connect with. With the Tosh the DVD would at least have component video to work with over simple RGB Scart. The Philips is also about £400 more expensive than the Sony and £500 to £600 more than the Tosh.

Dave

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Longshot. If you can find a Sharp 32LCGA3E or 32LCGA4E, on of these tv's will do it. Only problem is that they are nearly all sold out. Or, take a look at a Sharp GD1E but these are about £2200.

But, don't discount the Philips. As you say, you don't have any equipment with a DVI/HDMI socket so for now you can link the DVD player via component. When $ky HDTV comes around and you decide to have it, there should be some more AV Receivers with DVI/HDMI switching and component, meaning you connect all of your sources into the amp and let it do the switching and maybe upconverting also.

Richie.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,087
  4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    32" LCD's that'll do the job..all are HDCP compliant and are as futureproof as you can get.

1) Philips 9986 and 9976. The 9986 is the current LCD Top Dog. The 9976 excellent value.
    2) Sharps as mentioned above. If you can find one!
    3) Toshiba you mentioned.
    4) Loewe Spheros and Xelos. If you can afford one!

There are others, but these are the main players. No Sony currently available will cope with Skys HDTV service.

Jimmy

5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone discovered (by accident) that what you want is an Asia-Pacific version of the 32PF9986. See thread about TX21AP version.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would guess that the Asia-Pacific sets wont have Scart connections as Scart is European.

Richie.

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is right. But the AP model has HDMI and two component inputs.
    This is what many people here would have liked in the EU model...

(instead of the SCART3 they should have put a cvbs/component/s-video cinch cluster similar to what the AP model has twice)

8. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering about the idea of some sort of switching box to get around the (eventual) lack of DVI/HDMI sockets on the back of current sets.

It seems to me that given Sky seem to be going DVI/HDMI for their HDTV that what is really required is at least two such sockets on the back of your TV. One for HDTV and one for a high quality DVD player.

Given none of the current sets have this connectivity is it likely that there will be switch boxes available that take several DVI/HDMI inputs and have one output you will connect to the single DVI/HDMI socket on the TV? What chance of these working with DHCP protection?

Having read all the reviews and seen the comments on the Tosh HDMI problems I am tending toward saving up a bit more cash for the Philips. So finally a couple of questions on that if I may.

Is the DVI connection DHCP enabled?

Also isn't DVI video only? If you are connecting a DVD player I take it separate connections are required for the audio. If so, must that be via a one of the scart sockets or is there a separate set of audio inputs?

Dave

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dave,
    there are DVI switching boxes available and they support HDCP, as you say it is video only so you will need to connect the audio seperately.

Both the Phillips and Sharp support HDCP over DVI and although some people like all the processing that the Phillips performs others say you end up with a un-natural image.

When you go pure digital with Hi-def throught the DVI you will be happy with either!

10. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    samsung LE32A41BX?

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mick,

There have been a few people reporting quite severe picture smearing with the Sammy, so I deliberately removed it from the hit list and put it in the pile of 'Not Quite There Yet' sets.

Jimmy

12. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looking for reviews of this set I found one in Dutch and after a bablefish translation that was what they said about it as well.

Have to say with the lack of availability of the Sharps (I'd like to see one before buying) and the Philips connectivity and a bit of a doubt over how pixel plus 2 might over egg the pudding I am wondering if I should wait a while. I havenot been able to see the Philips yet either. Local shops only have older Philips sets.

There is no rush despite a rather heath robinson setup of an old Panasonic 21 inch with bust analogue tuner (hence the freeview box) - it still works!

Dave

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9986's PP2 is almost infinitely adjustable, and can be made to produce whatever kind of picture you want. Full whack PP2 processing is really only used to extract servicable pictures from grotty sources. With good sources the processing can be reduced to produce extremely subtle and natural looking pictures..

Jimmy

14. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Philips 32PF9380 - equipped with an HDMI input, Ambilight, and Pixel Plus 2 HD, and due to appear in the second quarter of 2005.

For those who want future proof High Definition compatible 32in LCD, this TV is what you are waiting for. :)

15. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Aye, just read this on the HCC site, along with the info about Sony's new stuff coming :)

Makes me glad I was so busy over xmas and didn't get chance to replace my old CRT.

16. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well you can't more future proof than something that is going to be released in the future! :D

Thanks for the info. I think I shall wait until the end of the next 1/4 to see what comes out as I am in no rush.

Incidentally I read another review of the Tosh I was considering and it highlighted the noise issue over HDMI but still gave the set a good write up. Very strange.

Dave