1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

future PocketPcs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by graham.myers, Jun 26, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    OK, so Microsoft have now released Windows Mobile (PocketPC 2003) and HP announced new iPaq models

what else is on the horizon? Whats the Dell Axim X7 I've seen mentions.

I've currently got a Palm Tungsten T which is ace. However my current car has a very good map/voice sat nav system. My new car hasn't :( So, I thought get satnav on my palm

but the best of the bunch seems to be TomTom's Navigator II package. But it is only available on Pocket PC, not Palm :(

I emailed them to see if they had plans to release a Palm version, and they haven't

So I'm thinging of moving platforms and getting a PocketPC with Tomtom.

I obviuosly don't want to get something now and in a months time so superPDS hits the streets that everybody except me new was coming.

My new car doesn't come for another couple of months so I'm not in a desperate rush

Other possible apps is to use a nevo on the ipaq or equivalent to replace my pronto.

It has to have bluetooth, have an SD slot (nice to have) and maybe wi-fi but not that bothered

I've seen a Ipaq H5555 mention that will have 128mb ram which wil suit me nicely but what else is there out there?

so, any thoughts?

2. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Have you considered the Garmin iQue ? It's a PalmOS based device with a built in GPS receiver and route planning software. 320x480 colour screen too. Could be what you're after ...
    http://www.garmin.co.uk/products/iQue3600/

3. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For the latest PDA news and rumours I tend to go to www.brighthand.com . The forums there are excellent and very active.

I'm waiting for the iPaq 2210/2215, which is due to come out here in a couple of weeks. It's the first iPaq that comes with a built-in Compact Flash slot as well as SD and yet it's almost as small as the tiny 1910. It "only" has 64Mb and no WiFi (it has bluetooth) but the inclusion of both memory slots allows you to compensate for this.

I find www.pocketgps.co.uk the best site for GPS stuff. I've got TomTom Navigator II and can definitely recommend it. The 3D view in particular is amazing. It sounds unnecessary but is actually one of those rare features that are both flash and useful. Note that several sites (eg www.totalpda.co.uk) sell Pocket PCs and TomTom GPS receivers in a single package that is usually cheaper than buying them separately.

Cheers,
    Ian.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the ipaq 5450, which can have the PC 2003 upgrade. I've had it just over a month or so and am now getting comfortabel with it.

Mynevo has a short distance compared to a Pronto, however, there is a WiFi bi directional software NETREMOTE, which looks encouraging, just waiting for an idoits guide to come out.

Am toying with the Sat Nav, and have noticed some bluetooth GPS on the market, which would be great for non car apps, but Tomtom looks the nuts, and works out way cheaper than a retro Car Sat Nav system.

5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Another vote for TomTom Nav 2 - mine runs on my ipaq with the Navman sleeve and its awesome.

Its so good, I can even use it on the bike, in a tankbag connected to the autocom headset :)

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    has anyone tried tom tom with an xda? i have been looking at it for ages and am dying to try it first but don't know where i can

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    well took the plunge and got a 5450 from comet of all places - online at £418 inc. delivery

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good move, you'll get the pocket pc 2003 before me, as I bought mine before the 23rd May.

R U going for the TOM TOM nav II with bluetooth gps?

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    guess wot - comet aint got none :( so I got a 3970 for £225. It'll be here wednesday

yes nfordenfield I'm getting the tomtom II with bluetooth gps :) but I'll get it after I come back of my hols in a couple of weeks - price may have dropped a few quid by then - cheapest I've seen so far is mobiledatadirect at about £320 but it takes 7-10 days so I wong get chance to play before my hols