Future of DIVA line ?

PenguinHiFi

Novice Member
Hi,

In a recent post here, someone stated that Arcam would give up the 2 lines of products separating the DIVA range from the FMJ range.
At the time the post has been made, this seemed to make no real sense.
But when I consider the newer evolutions, I think that this turn is now more than probable. I do see no future for the DIVA product line.
What does me make say that ?
Just look at the prices of the new CD37 and CD17. 499£ for the first and 999£ for the latter. So far, the DIVA Cd players have always been much lower priced that their FMJ brothers. But does it make sense to produce CD players for 150 to 300£ for a company like Arcam ?

So I guess there are two path that ARCAM may follow :
- Path #1 : DIVA disappears in a near future
- Path #2 : FMJ and DIVA stays, but FMJ range is dedicated to pure Stereo when DIVA is dedicated to Home-Theater

I think the second option is probable.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Path #2 : FMJ and DIVA stays, but FMJ range is dedicated to pure Stereo when DIVA is dedicated to Home-Theate
It has already been established that this is what will happen.

DiVA = Digitally integrated Video and Audio

There is no video aspect to two channel equipment and so it makes sense that the DiVA sub-branding only refers to audio visual equipment.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'm not quite sure what you're saying by confirming PenguinHiFi's comment. The FMJ range currently has some nice multi-channel equipment (DVD players, AV9, P7). Are your confirming that FMJ will become pure stereo, and if so, what will happen to the higher end multi-channel equipment.

I also have hopes for a multi-channel version of the CD37.

PenguinHiFi

Novice Member
Hi Mark,

I don't have an answer to your question.
But if the FMJ is to be the "High-end audiophile line" and the DIVA line the "Home-Theater enthusiast", here's what I think :

- CD 73 : condemned
- CD 192 : condemned
- A 70 : condemned
- A 90 : condemned
- AVR 280 : remains
- AVR 350 : remains
- AVP 700 : remains
- P 1000 : remains
- P 90 : condemned
- DV 135 : remains = > price lowered
- DV 137 : remains => price lowered
- C 31 : questionable (but should remain)
- A 32 : remains
- A 28 : remains
- A 38 : remains
- P1 : remains
- P35 : remains
- P 38 : remains
- CD 17 : remains (of course... just out !)
- CD 37 : remains (of course... just out !)

The real questions concern the AV9 and P7. Here are my thoughts about it.
AV9 will remain and may well turn into an AV10. Why do I think so ? For two main reasons.

1°) Every audiophile manufacturer should have a flagship in it's catalogue, just to demonstrate it's know-how. And an AV10 loaded with the latest technical refinements would be able to get the trick done.
2°) Even though the CD37 is not multichannel, we should not forget that the SACD format offers high-end audio in stereo AND multichannel mode. So, multichannel can be pure sound only ;-)

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'd like to be able to consolidate and upgrade my CD82 into a multichannel SACD / CD system, and the video (DV137) into a bluray / DVD player (I don't need DVD-A). For this, I'd like to be able to upgrade the AV9 with some module that enables 8 channel LPCM sound over HDMI. Then all I have to do is convince SWMBO to permit the purchase of a 127cm Plasma TV (so far I've failed that, even with the children's help). Not that I have a clue how I'm supposed to finance all this. :(

An FMJ version of the DiVA P1000 (i.e. a 7 channel power amp with the physical depth of the P1000) would be welcome, although I suspect that I'd be unable to justify the expense.

evans

Novice Member
Hi Mark,

I don't have an answer to your question.
But if the FMJ is to be the "High-end audiophile line" and the DIVA line the "Home-Theater enthusiast", here's what I think :

-
- A 70 : condemned

PenguinHiFi
What do you mean condemned:rotfl: I just bought one of these:suicide:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Don't worry - Arcam gives decent support. The CD82 was withdrawn fairly quickly after I bought it. The CD72 was updated to the CD73 and the CD92 to the CD192, and the CD82 just got squeezed out of the middle. That doesn't mean I didn't get a proper repair when it started misbehaving just before the end of the 2 year guarantee period.

PenguinHiFi

Novice Member
Hi Evans,

Please do not worry.
My answer is pure speculation.
And "condemned" just means that, after the product goes out of line, it will probably not be replaced. But it will of course be supported like it should.

Hi Mark,

If I can offer a good tip for amplifiers that are, to my ears, superior to those made by Arcam, are much smaller (therefore with a much higher WAF) and can be found easily second hand for really decent prices : try to get a pair of Linn AV5125. Only 5X125W, but delivering a really amazing amount of power.
Tey can be found easily on eBay.com and, considring the current exchange rate for the dollar, they go for low money. Expect maybe 500£ or 600£ for them.

As for the plasma display, I recently got myself a panasonic TH-42PX80E, which is the latest model from Panasonic. Not FullHD, just HD ready, fitted with 3 HDI 1.3 connectors, 100Hz and 24p compatible. To be found in France for decent prices (about 785£ including a 5 year on-site warranty) in 42' (the 46' version has still yet to be released). Be aware that 107 cm is already big. It looks like a small thing in the store. But once at home and out of it's box : it's huge !!!!

Regards.

FRED

PenguinHiFi

Novice Member
Don't worry - Arcam gives decent support. The CD82 was withdrawn fairly quickly after I bought it. The CD72 was updated to the CD73 and the CD92 to the CD192, and the CD82 just got squeezed out of the middle. That doesn't mean I didn't get a proper repair when it started misbehaving just before the end of the 2 year guarantee period.
Hi Mark,

The CD82 is just a wonderful and, to my ears, really underestimated machine. I have owned one for 3 years or so and have been very happy with it. It has a vivid caracter that let's you enjoy music a lot.
It has been replaced by a CD23T, bought second hand. I can't tell the CD23T is better than the CD82T. They are both excellebnt, but deliver different sounds. To the vivid caracter of the CD82, the CD23 opposes a more relaxed sound. Less fatiguig, but less vivid...

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow to see if he got the CD37 and CD17. At their prices, it would be foolish not to try them :)

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

ianmacd

Think the P35 has been dropped. I suspect that the dvd players will be FMJ'd in their next incarnation too.

Ian

PenguinHiFi

Novice Member
Hi,

Looking for a demo of the newly released CD37, I called one of the ARCAM dealers in Paris. They do not have it, and even if they would, they would not demo it before it has had it's break in time. So maybe not before next week...

Anyways, we started talking a little. And what he said puzzles me... Indeed, the whole DIVA line is apparently to be stopped and leave place for an all FMJ line of products.

What I find puzzling in this turn, is that looking at about all other manufacturer's lines of products, they all offer at least two lines in different price leagues. And I think the separation was pretty clear to understand.

I am not sure asingle line of products, with 2 or 3 different CD players, 2 or 3 different DVD players, 2 or 3 different pre/pros, 2 or 3 different amps will make an easier choice on the customer... and lead him to get the upper models.

Of course, I wished I'd be proven wrong...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom