Future HDMI 1.3 upgrade possible for AV9?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by zamwessell, Aug 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I already asked this in another thread but got no answer so sorry if i am repeating myself.

Just wondering if this upgrade would be possible in theory.

I think the answer is no but just wondered.

2. thatMikeguy

thatMikeguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would love to know the answer to this as well. Can anyone provide any insight?
    M.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Possible but unlikely, it would require a hardware change rather than just a software update.

4. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Crusty is right. HDMI is a hardware based bit of technology so its not just a case of a software upgrade. Why the manufacturers dont put these chips on removeable boards I dont know, but I think it could be down to the fact that HDMI is a moving target so making it difficult for them to predict how future versions will be implemented.
    A few products are now starting to ship with the latest version which I think is V1.3

5. KenX

KenX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The AV8 can indeed be upgraded to AV9 by means off adding the HDMI switch hardware (and other things), so it is of course possible to upgrade hardware.
    However, treating also the audio signal in 1.3 would be a whole different thing, since Arcam would have to connect it to the audio circuitry of the AV9, work on signal integrity and audio quality.

Today the switch is just a switch, and the only reason to have it onboard is that it integrates well with the remote and change of source, and also doesn't require an extra box and power cable. Otherwise it is just like an external switch.
    I'd like to have the AV9 switch on my AVP700 though since I need more inputs...