Question Future firmware update for panasonic hz series to support 4k/120hz

Equinoxe4

Novice Member
I recently bought a panasonic oled hz980e and i didnt realise it doesnt support 4k at 120hz ,when i looked at the specs from the store i bought it there were the info of 120hz and hdmi 2.1 but after i discovered the only feature of hdmi 2.1 is the auto low latency mode and it even has an option in the setup menu of hdmi 2.1 settings,do you think a firmware update it is possible to enable support for it ? The new jz2000 will have support for and will come with a new game mode extreme ,will that software be available fot the 2020 oled model from panasonic ?

mikej

Even if it was possible, it's doubtful that they would - with only incremental changes possible to the panels every year, they need to give people alternative reasons to keep upgrading. They've actually been drip-feeding HDMI 2.1 features every year for the past few years.

Equinoxe4

Novice Member
I don t see any logic in that ,now with the new consoles (yes i was lucky to get a ps5) i think people first option in buying a tv is the 4k at 120 hz feature and i think the oled tv that panasonic has on the market now are still the 2020.models and if they dont come with an update who will buy them ? Even if i am a panasonic fan i would return the hz980 and buy an lg but i had only 14 days when i could have returned it and now i m stuck with it..At least has a better picture quality than lg 😅

next010

Distinguished Member
PS5 barely makes use of HDMI 2.1 features.
  • PS5 does not support ALLM
  • PS5 does not support HDMI-VRR
  • PS5 has only a tiny number of games with 120fps support and drops to 1080p to make it happen.
  • PS5 only switches to 120hz output if a game supports it so all 30/60fps game cannot benefit from the 120hz modes lower input lag.

Everything about the PS5 says to me Sony targeted 1440p-2160p (4K) at 60fps, that's what it was built for.

So your HDMI 2.0 Panasonic is really not missing out with the PS5, 60fps is far more important for OLED displays due to the fact that low 30 FPS will stutter though not everyone see's this stutter.

Equinoxe4

Novice Member
yes it does i want to play the best version of cod in multy and that is at 120fps,nioh 2 will have a 120 fps mode if you play videogames and seen the difference between 60 and 120 you want this option when u pay 1500e on a tv ,i was blinded by my ambition to have a better picture oled than my cousins lg oled b9 and bx but now i regret my choice i asked panasonic if they will have support in a future firmware and they don know when or if will be available for the 2020 oled models

jmac

Distinguished Member
yes it does i want to play the best version of cod in multy and that is at 120fps,nioh 2 will have a 120 fps mode if you play videogames and seen the difference between 60 and 120 you want this option when u pay 1500e on a tv ,i was blinded by my ambition to have a better picture oled than my cousins lg oled b9 and bx but now i regret my choice i asked panasonic if they will have support in a future firmware and they don know when or if will be available for the 2020 oled models
Is cod 4K 120? I thought it dropped to 1080p for 120?

maybe wrong, just wondering.

Equinoxe4

Novice Member
i said i want to play in 120fps not 4k ,it drops at 1080p even with that resolution the tv doesnt switch to 120hz ,ok he cant in 4k but why not in 1080p?

jmac

Distinguished Member
i said i want to play in 120fps not 4k ,it drops at 1080p even with that resolution the tv doesnt switch to 120hz ,ok he cant in 4k but why not in 1080p?
Ah I see. Well you should have researched more and not just rushed into it trying to one up your cousin. :thumbsup:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
First off...buy a gaming pc to get true 4k at 120hz with decent framerate and not console "4k"

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom