1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Entertainment alert

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sharper, Aug 13, 2002.

1. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just to make sure you are aware that Future Entertainment takes the money from your credit 24 hrs after you place your order. Do not advance order with these guys unless you are prepared to pay up front for you pre orders! i.e Star Wars ep 2 you pay for now.

:mad:

Just cancelled my order for Men in Black, Count of Monty dodah and Men in Black 2

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We know. Lots of suppliers do it. It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. You have to pay anyway - what does it matter when you pay :confused:

What's really gonna make you mad now though, is when you find out that they have not refunded you the full price of your cancelled orders.

They will keep 2%. See my thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40219

I still use them though because they're cheap and they ship from within the UK (so no customs worries).

As I have learned, it always pays to read the terms & conditions of any store you order from on-line, before you place your first order. ;)

3. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hey, works for me.
    I'm on a bit of tight budget & only buy discs (or pre-order) if I've got the readies, so it's done with & I can forget about it then.

CD-Wow! are another one.

Cheers, Paul

4. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Up to you SG, just don't order too much in advance coz when they closed down and they will, your money will be in their bank.

This type of early eighties credit card merchant abuse usually has one outcome and ant a happy one. Without the R1 situation being thrown into the mix.

And as for Paden if you you are on a tight budget its best you don't loose your money totally.

Wish Id had read SG message last week! £3 quid down the pan :eek:

5. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Futureent will be closing down anytime soon. I know the owner and he was one of the people who got hit by FACT when LaserEnterprises collapsed a few years back. He came back fighting with a big apology from FACT and a small amount of compensation in his back sky....

And why do you think they are so cheap?? Do you think the £12.99 you pay for Monsters Inc 6 months in advance is sitting under someones mattress? Or do you think it's in a bank account along with the the other 1000 £12.99's making a little bit of money? I don't mind. I get Monsters Inc or Beauty & The Beast for £12.99, Futureent make some well deserved money and everybody's happy.

6. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not convinced AB2

Charge before you ship (months not days) you don't get my advanced orders and then charge 2% if I cancel that order or change my mind! Then he or her would be\is taking the p**s

This is one silly discussion. Sorry AB2

7. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paying in advance doesn't worry me either. :)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharper, please calm down. I'm not a mug and I'm not going to lose any money. If they do close down (which is very unlikely, as has already been said), then it will be my credit card company's money that will be in their bank. My money will be refunded to me by my credit card company and I will have lost nothing.

My only "gripes" with FutureEnt are:

1. The 2% cut that they take when you cancel.
    2. The fact that they do not refund any return postage charges.

It's the 2% "penalty" that stops me pre-ordering too much in advance with them - nothing else. When I do pre-order, I usually only do it about 2-3 weeks before the DVD ships.

In the case of Monsters Inc, I ordered it about 6-8 weeks ago from CD-WOW (who also take your money as soon as you order but do not have a penalty for cancellation).

But I can live with these two gripes for the sake of receiving cheap R1s which are posted from within the UK. I just shop more carefully with them.

As an example...

2 days ago, I ordered "Panic" from Future Ent. This DVD is only available on R1. I paid £10.99 for it including postage. On Play.com this DVD is £15.99 (http://www.play.com/Play247.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=93314). I can't even find it anywhere else to buy without turning to US or Canadian DVD suppliers.

I really do think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face mate. If you refuse to shop with certain suppliers because they deduct your money at the point of sale, you're gonna end up losing out on a lot of great deals and a lot of great suppliers, including CD-WOW who deliver the best customer service I have ever experienced from any supplier (DVDs or otherwise).

Incidentally, I really don't understand why anyone orders many, many months in advance anyway. Anything can happen between that time and the time the DVD ships, so I don't see the point.

9. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I agree with Sharper on this one. I cancelled my first 'trial' order with CD-WOW when they charged me for a movie not out until September.

I ordinarily get a mailer from Disc Emporium and just pre-order everything I like (usually about 30 discs per mailer) by creating an email order. I will then be billed for each disc as it ships, and not before.

This is just easy for me, but if I did it with CD-WOW I would be in for a big shock. And if anything happens between placing the order and the disc release I just cancel without charges.

How can they justify any charge for cancellation when they have already been raking interest from your money which has been sat in their bank account for weeks. You're doing them a favour!!! You should be asking for the interest they have made back! :D

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CD-WOW do not charge you for cancelling. They will refund you the full price you paid and they will do it quickly too.

Only Future Ent charge you for cancelling.

I agree that Future Ent's charge for cancellation is annoying. That's why I posted about it a while back (http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...&threadid=40219)

11. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,696
    Hi,

I think many people, like me too, think that when release dates come, loads of people will be hungry to get the latest film, and supplier MAY put the price up, so now they are giving up a early discount price. In six months, a 12.99 film maybe £15 plus.

ta

rai

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Men in Black - 2 Disc Limited Edition - £24.99
    Count of Monte Cristo - £12.99
    Men in Black 2 - £14.99

Total = £52.97

2% x £52.97 = £1.06, i.e. not £3

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure. Fair point.

But all it means is that, if you want that nice early discount price from Future Ent, then it also comes with a cancellation price too. If you don't like such terms & conditions, even if Future Ent have the cheapest pre-order price, then don't shop with Future Ent and pre-order it elsewhere at a higher price.

Even if you go into Woolies to pre-order a DVD you have to stick £1 down to secure it...

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I get loads of stuff from Future and have recommended them to plenty of people. The pay as you order didn't bother me although I was a little gutted first time I wanted to cancel and order (which was only cos someone else had a movie in stock first) but ever since never needed to cancel as they've never let me down..
    :) Happy Shopper..

15. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nothing but praise for FutureEnt. Cheap orices, good service and great delivery times.

I ordered the Royal Tennenbaums at 3pm and it was delivered at 9am the next day. It doesn't get any better than that.

I rarely pre-order and if I do only a week or so before release as they are likely to have the disc in by then. Monsters Inc is my only pre-order with them at the moment and I look forward to it arriveing.

The loss of interest on £12.99 (lets face it 0.1%apr on most current accounts) is less than 1/10th of a pence per month.

If them getting 2% in a savings account allows them to sell me cheap discs them I'm all for it. Its the Credit Card company responsibility anyway if they go bust or lose the disc.

16. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I thought it was actually either illegal in this country to debit your credit card for goods that havent shipped (consumer credit act?) or against the regulations of the credit card companies to bill before dispatching goods. Either way if they charged me 2% for cancelling an order on goods that they havent even shipped yet but still took my money I would be demanding that my credit card company refund my monies in full.
    -Neil

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    Isn't this "sky rocket", as in "sky rocket, back pocket" ?? :confused:

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be illegal to deduct 2% when goods have not even been despatched, and I got very ****ed off about the whole principle of this at first.... but as I said on my other thread, it'd be a shame to lose an otherwise great supplier of R1 DVDs just because of this. So long as you know upfront, you can shop carefully. When you think about it in the long term, you'd only be ruining things for yourself for the sake of a few pence or a quid or two in the long term. They shouldn't even be shipping US DVDs from the UK. They're saving us a fortune in customs charges! Think of it that way!

They took something between 20p and 25p from me for cancelling one DVD order, which I cancelled 10 minutes after I originally placed the order. But personally, I would feel nothing but deep shame and embarrasment ringing up my credit card company and asking them to take action to secure the return of my 25p. Wouldn't you? In all honesty? Come on, imagine it.... ;)

Overall, FutureEnt are saving us money. However they go about it. That can only be a good thing in my book.

19. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is. I just couldn't be bothered typing "rocket".:rolleyes:

And to add some fuel to this here fire, how many people here have pre orderded Back To The Future from cdwow @ £17.99?
    I have for one. And how many people will be paying full wack for it when it comes out whenever (supposed to be next week but I have my suspicions...)? I can think of one.....;)

20. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    CAN$23.99, thats less than £10, including postage from A&B Sound. Canadian based, very reliable, and no customs fees (<£18)

They charge when they ship of course, usually arrives in 4 days.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am guessing that they charge you 2% for cancellation because of the bank charges they might receive whilst refunding your money that they shouldn't have taken in the first place! Unbelievable!!

I used to work in mail order (selling pc's for evesham micros) and from what I remember it is technically illegal to charge before the day of despatch but this doesn't stop many traders. The buggers.

Still, like it's been said - if you know that these companies do it and are happy about it then no worries. If you don't take the time to read the T&C's then you never know what you might be letting yourself in for...

def

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's less than £10 on paper, but don't forget that credit cards use less generous exchange rates. so would work out at about £10.50. Which is only 49p less than I paid for it. ;)

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos.co.uk charge when you order and before they deliver.
    Dixons.co.uk charge when you order and before they deliver.
    Currys.co.uk charge when you order and before they deliver
    PCworld.co.uk charge when you order and before they deliver.
    Comet.co.uk charge when you order and before they deliver.

I see charging at the point of delivery rather than the point of sale more of a perk than a privilege.

24. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    They took something between 20p and 25p from me for cancelling one DVD order, which I cancelled 10 minutes after I originally placed the order. But personally, I would feel nothing but deep shame and embarrasment ringing up my credit card company and asking them to take action to secure the return of my 25p. Wouldn't you? In all honesty? Come on, imagine it....
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, I take your point, and I couldn't be bothered either to chase up for 25p ;) But it's the principal that annoys me. If Tescos offer great bargains but short changed everyone by just a penny each, no one would be really worst off BUT think what it all adds up to. Also as stated they are charging you for recompensation against an act they shouldn't have done in the first place! If they want the money up front to put in the bank then they ought to take the fall for charges if you cancel.
    Other than this minor but irritating habit they've got they seem to have a lot of happy customers. Do they show on their site if an item is actually in stock so you can get an idea if it's gonna ship in a couple of days or a couple of weeks 'cos thats gonna make the difference to me if I'm likely to want to cancel or not?

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their web site will say "ships in 24 hours" or "ships in 3 to 5 days" for each DVD. The "24 hour" ones usually ship in 24-48 hours in my experience. The "ships in 3 to 5 days" is usually true, but sometimes it can take more or less than 3-5 days though (sometimes it can take less). If you want something quick, then all I can say is don't order the "3 to 5 days" titles.

26. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well, it would work out at £10.20p using an EGG CC.

I buy purely on price, and I've never had cause to buy from FutureEnt.

27. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Totally agree - do NOT order summink showing "3-5 days" if you are in a "must have it now" frame of mind.

As an example, I recently ordered Blade (R1 - to replace my R2 edition) and Dagon...both were showing "3-5 days" - Dagon "Shipped" two days after my order and I received it one day after that...however, Blade "Shipped" 2 days (I think) after my order was placed and I ended up getting that 10 days after it was "shipped" - just as I was about to ring and have a moan, in fact.

Apart from that recent problem, I would thoroughly recommend Future - thrown a lot of business their way.

BTW - I've ordered CD's from CD-WOW before, and I may give their DVD's a whirl after hearing all the recent praise.

:D

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily. It depends what the exchange rate is on the actual day. ;)
    Fair enough. I take price into consideration, but also consider other factors. :)

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will be the Royal Mail. Once it says it's shipped, it's shipped. The rest is down to the postal service.

BUT it is worth bearing in mind that those "3-5 days" DVDs can take weeks to ship in some cases.

30. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    OK, we're both happy with our suppliers :) :eek:

You're quite correct re: the exchange rate though, I always check that close to the shipping date.