1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Digiboxes?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by drewbags, Jul 8, 2005.

1. drewbags

drewbags
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know if there are plans for new digiboxes in the near future? I have a recon Pace V1 at present and I am thinking of buying a V2 to use on multiroom, but if a new box is due for release soon, might wait and see what happens to the prices of the older ones.

Chris.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    There will be a new box for Sky HD but I haven't heard of any new boxes for existing Sky digital.

John

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    With the demand for standard digiboxes hitting an all time low there probably won't be any new models. You would hope that SKY gradually phase in a SKY+ variant as the base line STB for new customers and as an decent priced upgrade for existing customers without the hassles that so many have gone through.

There has been a PACE SKY+ with an 80gig drive on the roadmap for some time but I am not sure if it ever was produced although I recall reading that some people had seen them although they could have been simple HD upgraded versions.

I don't think you have worry about in regards to buying out of date hardware at least in the immediate future and it's hard to see how the retail product can fall significantly further in price this year.

I expect the upcoming TW (maybe NTL after merger) DVR to force SKY to consider the SKY+ HD as the standard premium product and with BT lookign to trial IPTV early next year a new network capable platform for SKY must be on the cards.