1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future costs of LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neiljones, Jul 2, 2004.

1. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The headlines of an article on page 49 of the Times Newspaper on Wednesday 30th June stated " LG Philips cuts flotation price again " The second largest maker of LCD TV's has been forced to cut its long awaited stock market listing for the second time in four days. It would appear that Sharp and Samsung have begun to make flat screen sets and industry analysts predict a glut. The analysts feel that the 17" LCD screens, may by the end of the year fall by 25%. The Display Research house expects supplies of LCD panels to exceed demand from the middle of this year for two years
    Food for thought re future cost implications and also LG Screens in Philips
    LCD,s.
    WILL WE SEE MAJOR PRICE REDUCTIONS.

2. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I imagine it is only a matter of time. If you look at the prices of LCD Tv's and monitors of the equivalent size, the TV's are 3 or 4 times the price. And TV tuners aren't that expensive.

LCD TV's are currently seriously overpriced, but the prices are tumbling, and I think will continue to do so for some time. I think they are seriously overpriced still. The problem is that if they drop the prices too quickly they won't be able to sell the massive stocks of CRT TV's they have, and I suspect that in truth, the LCD panels aren't much more expensive to make than the CRT screens. The manufacturers are keeping LCD prices artificially high.

3. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say TV's are 3-4 times price of equivalent monitor. A 17 inch monitor costs around £300 and a 32 inch monitor has roughly four times the size of screen so the basic monitor parts would be £1200. Still double the price is a big markup. I may wait a bit longer then to buy an LCD.

4. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Actually, you're right, looking at 17" monitor vs equivalent TV the price is doubled. However, just because the screen is 4 times the area, don't assume that it costs 4 times as much to make. The internals are almost identical regardless of how big the screen is little no extra cost there. The manufacturing cost is important, and I bet the cost to produce a 30" panel and a 17" panel is only about 10-20% different. There is simply a huge markup on the larger screens.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Price is primarily a function of supply vs. demand, and only to an extent governed by the costs of manufacture. So, comparisons between PC monitors and <the same thing with a tuner and/or scaler built in> are somewhat academic.

Latent demand is probably quite high. True demand is probably tempered only by price (and perhaps standard). Supply will increase. Standards will rise. Latent demand will probably be fairly static. Prices will fall. They already have, substantially. True demand will rise. The end of direct-view CRTs is nigh.........

6. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very true, and sooner rather than later. Sharp have already said they want to cease all CRT production either 2005 or 2006 (Can't quite remember which). Others will follow shortly. Can't wait to see the end of big chunky TV's personally. Flat panel TV's are long overdue...