Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Future compatibility of PC audio/visual centre

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by potto, Jul 22, 2005.

1. potto

potto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im toying with the idea of building a PC based audio visual centre after my flat mate took the DVD player and TV with him when he left.

Im excited about the possiblity of a fan-less mini-itx based motherboard or even would consider a micro-atx if the extra power justifies. I have a couple of concerns namely regards the next generation DVD and the ability of current PC hardware to handle the throughput of such a medium.

I understand I can upgrade the DVD drive when Blu-Ray or HD Dvd comes out but what about the SATA/IDE interfaces, the 800Mhz/1Ghz processor or even the memory bandwidth of say PC3200, will these be able to handle such an extra workload? Or am I likely going to be ending replacing most of the PC?

The other issue Im not to convinced about is whether, in terms of visual quality, DVD playing software on a standard DVD drive can compete with a decent dedicated DVD player with all that supporting hardware ?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    The thing about PCs is you can upgrade as and when it's necessary. Push each component to their max. If your mobo/cpu combo is slowing then upgrade them...much better than replacing everything each time a new technology comes around :)

Depending on what you want to do, DVD playback on a PC will be faaaar better than a DVD player. At the end of the day you have the choice of video codec, video processing etc instead of having to compromise with a player that has all those decisions made for a particular budget.

3. potto

potto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good to know about the current DVD quality. I like the idea of just upgrading certain parts of a PC as and when required, however the main upgrade that I forsee is HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and Im concerned that I`m going to end up having to upgrade the entire PC if it wont be able to handle the throughput.

Ive read in another post that HD-TV requires 10Gb/sec throughput that only the newer Graphics cards can handle. So looks like my idea of having a small and queit mini-itx based system is out of the window :(

What do people think about current interfaces, will these be able to handle HD TV? IDE based DVD drives? PC3200 memory? I cant imagine them handling 10Gb/sec?!