1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future compatibility of PC audio/visual centre

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by potto, Jul 22, 2005.

1. potto

potto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im toying with the idea of building a PC based audio visual centre after my flat mate took the DVD player and TV with him when he left.

Im excited about the possiblity of a fan-less mini-itx based motherboard or even would consider a micro-atx if the extra power justifies. I have a couple of concerns namely regards the next generation DVD and the ability of current PC hardware to handle the throughput of such a medium.

I understand I can upgrade the DVD drive when Blu-Ray or HD Dvd comes out but what about the SATA/IDE interfaces, the 800Mhz/1Ghz processor or even the memory bandwidth of say PC3200, will these be able to handle such an extra workload? Or am I likely going to be ending replacing most of the PC?

The other issue Im not to convinced about is whether, in terms of visual quality, DVD playing software on a standard DVD drive can compete with a decent dedicated DVD player with all that supporting hardware ?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    The thing about PCs is you can upgrade as and when it's necessary. Push each component to their max. If your mobo/cpu combo is slowing then upgrade them...much better than replacing everything each time a new technology comes around :)

Depending on what you want to do, DVD playback on a PC will be faaaar better than a DVD player. At the end of the day you have the choice of video codec, video processing etc instead of having to compromise with a player that has all those decisions made for a particular budget.

3. potto

potto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good to know about the current DVD quality. I like the idea of just upgrading certain parts of a PC as and when required, however the main upgrade that I forsee is HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and Im concerned that I`m going to end up having to upgrade the entire PC if it wont be able to handle the throughput.

Ive read in another post that HD-TV requires 10Gb/sec throughput that only the newer Graphics cards can handle. So looks like my idea of having a small and queit mini-itx based system is out of the window :(

What do people think about current interfaces, will these be able to handle HD TV? IDE based DVD drives? PC3200 memory? I cant imagine them handling 10Gb/sec?!