1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future as an XBox owner looking bright

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Azrikam, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little surprised that the XBox discussion has quieted down recently, (I guess everyone's busy finishing Halo on Legendary :) ) especially after all the news at E3. Recent forays online have had me drooling at all the stuff that's on the way. Just to name a few:

Blinx: The Time Sweeper
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Unreal Championship
    Halo Online (Halo 2?)
    Phantasy Star Online
    Ninja Gaiden
    Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball :eek:
    Shenmue II
    Elder Scrolls III: Project Morrowind
    Doom III

Not to mention Peter Molyneux's unbelievable concepts "Project Ego" and "BC".

But, the daddy of them all has to be the plans for XBox Live. 40-some online games promised at/near launch. Looks like we are going to get a chance to put our hard drives to use, and have massive Flood VS Covenant deathmatches afterall.

Right now, XBox has 300 games in development, and 200 that will be available by XMas!!!!! (probably US release dates, but still impressive) A lot of people (myself included) thought that the XBox was just going to be a console dumping ground for hastily ported PC games, but it looks like the developer base for the Box is growing every day.

I had said before that I was satisfied with Halo, DOAIII, and JSRF for my XBox... not anymore! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for all these games to come out on my new favorite system and the wait is driving me crazy. Oh well, it'll give me a chance to sort out a broadband Internet account for Live, and build up some much-needed vacation time. :)

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol most of the games seem pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the DoA series at all I'm afraid. To me its ranked near the bottom for the best 3D fighting game because the balance just isn't there. Its even more masher friendly than Soul Calibur but I suppose because of the graphics and the physics (ahem) it has sold well.

Ninja Gaiden certainly looks the part, running on an enhanced DoA3 engine but the gameplay looks similar to Devil May Cry... Not a bad thing of course but I'm worried about fun but shallow gameplay. ShenMue II looks sharper and I bet it runs a lot smoother than the Dreamcast version, but its still the same game. Not a bad thing of course once again. If that title sells well then you could find the rest of the ShenMue series on the platform...

As for the FPS's they should be pretty sweet, but most of us will end up buying the PC version instead. If they introduced a system like Sega and id did for Quake III (PC Vs Dreamcast) then it would be worthwhile, esp. if it supported the keyboard and mouse. It would be a real "plug in and play" title then.

As for the amount of Xbox games in development... The PS2 had just as much during its launch and look at the amount of quality... >_< Ridge Racer V had to be the worst of them all and it took an awful long time before some top quality games came out (GT3). I'm expecting a similar scenario for the Xbox to be honest, while having choices is all well and good, quality games help. For example you can almost find every PS2 title available to buy 2nd hand, often within a week or two after launch.

Anyway I think I said this on another thread, but if the Xbox Live! comes off well, then the Xbox will have some interesting options to exploit in the gaming arena... How well it will do depends on how Microsoft handles the situation.