Future Amps

AML

Prominent Member
Reaction score
With new formats like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD coming within the next couple of years it is probable that these new Hi def players will also support hi bit rate sound like LPCM with a bit rate of 18,432mbps. (DTS by comparison is only 1,500mbps) 8channel 96khz

Will new amps reqire some sort of decoder compatablity to decode these new hi bit rate sound systems?. (ie, new amps support DTS and DD decoding)

If so then we better start saving the pennies!!

Analogue amps won't require anything other than a suitably wide dynamic range to fully work with these new formats.
Given that DVD-A and SACD have an effective dynamic range of 120dB,there are relatively few amplifiers that can fully match this,and only very high power,and careful attention to noise levels can achieve that.
In terms of digital amps,there are currently relatively few truly digital amps around( such as Tact etc)and if these have input decoders with a lower resolution,then upgrades may be required,as would be the case with processors unable to cope with up to 8 channels.
What the average consumer might need with 8 channels all operating at 24/96 though is another question,as is the ability of most electronics manufacturers to make amps/receivers at decent cost levels to adequately,if not fully exploit the media.

The new Denon 5805 has true 24-bit/192-Khz Digital Input capability. All it's DAC's as well as Analogue to Digital convertors are 24-Bit/192-Khz. It's DDSC (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit) features 192 Khz processing. It also has an 8 Channel Parallel Digital Input for uncompressed digital signals (for Post Production, Studio and Authoring Facilities) although not sure if many consumers will be using this! I would assume this unit can cope with HD DVD etc

This Denon amp could one of the first future amps. It looks like all amps will go this route.

I guess at this point all we can do is wait and see what happens after the winner (HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray) of the battle is decided. I guess whatever format the winner uses the amps will follow!.

I just purchased a "true digital" receiver..... panasonic XR45 with REAL 24/192 ablity with non of the DAC conversions to mess things up.

Feed it a 24/192 upconverted signal and it remains as such until the speaker posts!
(or if you like feed its a native 24/96 disc (damn rare))

As for "true" digital with HiRes formats such as DVD-A the XR70 will support that with 5gbs HDMI :)

Oh i ended up with the panny after home demos of Arcam AVR300 and Denon 3805........ needless to say in sound quality the Panny was streets ahead!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom