1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Futher to my original problem - pics inside... Philips 32pf9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MattDJ, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was a little worried about the "blacks" on this screen, i.e. the black bars, dark alleys etc when watching movies. I think it looks kinda pinky/purple/blue.
    So...
    Ive taken two pics. Dead straight on to the screen. One completely dark and one with the light on. Of course we need to take into consideration the quality of the camera etc...

Lmk what you think. Does the telly have a problem.

The screen is supposed to look black, youll see the dvd player open, on my crt this would be dead black.

Attached Files:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can't tell from the dark one - the camera may be over-exposing.

The lit one looks seriously wrong, though. I know LCDs aren't good at black - but that surely ain't right.

3. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the camera has added to the problem... but it kinda does look like that...

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Matt,

You have a very serious problem. The screen should look nothing like that!

I'll post a couple of pics shortly of mine.

Jimmy

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, I've taken these at the end of the 'Untouchables'. I reduced the Pic to 4:3 size to show plenty black at the edges. I also overexposed the picture a little to try and bring out some difference between the picture and the frame.

Blurring is due to long exposure!

Jimmy

Attached Files:

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pics of "black" screens are very difficult to judge and digital cameras can overcompensate, but when you are looking at the screen (with your eyes!), a "black" picture (between scenes on a DVD say) shouldn't be anywhere near as light as what those pics indicate. Blueish tinges are quite common on LCDs, and even the Philips will show them at an angle - but what you have seems excessive. It almost looks as if the Brightness control is set at maximum value (100) when it should be set at around 50.
    Contrast likewise (recommended setting 63)

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Alan,

Matts been wrestling with this for while now. He's tried nearly everything. You're right, it looks hellish.

Matt,

Contact your supplier and get it exchanged. Immediately.

Jimmy

8. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These were taken whilst watching Hi Def D-VHS thru DVI...

I think Hi Spek will be getting a call tomorrow... hope they will be helpful.

Attached Files:

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The problem could be caused by the D-VHS outputting DVI-Video levels and the Philips expecting DVI-PC levels. Video levels are 16..235, PC levels are 0..255. So if you display expects PC levels and you are only giving it video levels, your blacks will be grey and your whites will not be peak white.

If you cannot change the levels that the d-vhs is giving or what the Philips is expecting you are stuffed. You cannot dial this black crush out. It is not a fault, just an incompatibility caused by the TV display expecting PC level input and the video is (correctly) supplying video levels. This would not be a problem with HDMI input as levels are specified. With DVI input, it depends on whether the display manufacturer has put the emphasis of the DVI input as a PC link or a video link.

-Ian

10. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Ian... unforunately its on every channel. Will give Hi Spek a call now they should be able to sort it.

11. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to Hi Spek there about 90mins or so...
    They couldnt find anything wrong with it. Asked them to sit next to their Philips 32". The didnt, or couldnt. In shop they had 37" and 42" version sitting next to each other... set them up both exactly the same. The 37" looked a lot better...

In all...they are sending a Philips engineer.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Excellent. The engineer will access the Service Menu and diddle with the settings in there. I was considering trying to replicate your problem in the service menu myself, by increasing the lumina settings or the gain settings to see if that was the problem. Trouble is, I was frightened that I'd jigger my own set somehow! Chicken....

If you can, Matt, watch what he does in there and take notes! I have the Service Menu code and have looked in there....but it's a scary place....

Hope he sorts it mate..

Jimmy

13. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well - I have had no call from Hi Spek about this Philips engineer... they are gonna get one hell of a call tomorrow.

14. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I have a Denon 2910 dvi-dvi into the 32pf9986 (And also rgb scart connected). On DVd I only get the option of a widescreen picture on 1080i, and 4;3 or widescreen on the lower res's, yet on scart i get the full choice.

Why is this (I am probably being thick but this forum has been so helpful already)?

andy c!

15. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Looks like a backlight problem.

I had two Toshiba 32WL48's like that. The first one was'nt as bad but the second one looked a bit like this one.

Its put me off LCD to be honest which is v. v. annoying.

So I've ordered a plasma as I want less hassle.

:suicide:

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The DVI socket is transmitting at the TV's natural resolution. This is to say that for every single pixel there is an individual digital signal. If you were able to muck about with the settings in order to scale the picture up to full screen the image quality would be destroyed as it tried to rearrange the picture over the 'wrong' number of pixels.

The RGB connection is the inferior analogue one which is not transferred at the screens natural resolution anyway, and can therefore be stretched this way and that with ease.

720p will transfer leaving an 8-10mm black band around the edge. You'll have to live with this, but it should be worth it!

Jimmy

17. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan,
    for my info what setting do you have your dvi on?

I have found that either 540? or 1080i enable full widescreen, but 720 does not.

thanks for your help, once again...

andy c!

18. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I actually borrowed a Denon 1910 for a few days a couple of weeks ago and did a comparison between it and the DenonDHT500 cinema system's output. It was surprisingly close! The 576p component output from the DHT500 combined with the advantages of PP2 produce a picture surprisingly close to the DVI picture from the 1910.

With the 1910 I ran it with the 720p setting as I feel that a progressive input (720p) is inherently superior to an interlaced (1080i) one. It gives smoother motion and better suits the characteristics of the LCD.

Jimmy

19. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy - what you are seeing is correct for the Philips. They have decided that 720p images will display exactly as outputted by the DVD player with no image "scaling" (ie changing size). So at this resolution - which is 1280x720 pixels you will get a border around the whole picture because the LCD panel has 1366x768 pixels. (LCD TVs that fill the screen with a 720 pixel image are "scaling" it up to make it fit and hence introducing some, admittedly usually very small, quality loss)
    At 576p and 1080i the Philips "scales" up the picture to 768 pixels, and hence fits the panel perfectly. It's a case of choosing whichever one you prefer watching. It has to be said that the Philips does a pretty good job at scaling - and it would have been interesting to have had at least the option of scaling a 720p image.
    Anyway, enjoy your TV!

20. Camillo

Camillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have actually opted to use 576p over DVI as my primary DVD output. The PP2 scaler is virtually indistinguishable from the built-in Faroudja scaler in my player, but as the source is SD material, there is no pixel-by-pixel advantage to be gained at 720p. I am sure I will use 720p once there are true HD sources available.