Fussy LX500 UHD player - Discs won’t play

2 rooms or 1

Novice Member
Hi all, does anyone out there know what discs the Pioneer LX 500 has trouble with

the 2 I can not get to play are

Jaws
Batman v’s Superman

the others below play eventually

Alien 40th
Blade Runner 2049
Daddy’s Home 2
Red Sparrow
Dark Knute rises
Batman begins
Interstellar

the rest of the 45discs I have had worked first time

is it my player, or the lack of a FW update? I currently have the latest firmware

thanks

kahlua

Hi all, does anyone out there know what discs the Pioneer LX 500 has trouble with

Jaws
Batman v’s Superman

Alien 40th
Blade Runner 2049
Daddy’s Home 2
Red Sparrow
Dark Knute rises
Batman begins
Interstellar

is it my player, or the lack of a FW update? I currently have the latest firmware

thanks
might be better asking in the owners thread,Pioneer UDP-LX500 owners thread

gibbsy

Are these 4K discs or standard blu-ray?

On 4K I have Jaws, Interstellar and Alien. All play with no problems at all. On blu ray I had Blade Runner 2049 but all it did was send me to sleep. I always wipe new discs over before first play.

It will be highly unlikely that there will be any firmware updates in the near future. Pioneer's parent company, Onkyo, is insolvent and currently trying to stave off bunkruptcy. It's looking bleak to be honest although an Australian member has reported that Pioneer Australia have started to promote the lx models again.

Steve356

Distinguished Member

Jaws
Batman v’s Superman

Alien 40th
Blade Runner 2049
Daddy’s Home 2
Red Sparrow
Dark Knute rises
Batman begins
Interstellar

thanks

All of those titles play fine in my unit with the exception of Daddys Home, which I don't own, so can't comment.

gibbsy

These are all 4K UHD discs from either Amazon or HMV
I think you cursed me. I started to play Dunkirk 4K earlier and it froze at nine minutes in, it had played at least three times faultlessly. So I gave it a clean with Eclipse fluid, an alcohol solution that I use on my DSLR. That has sorted it out. This was not a new disc but one I had bought from the classifieds.

While it took it out to clean I played another 4K disc to make sure it wasn't the LX500 playing up and that disc, Glory, played without a hitch. Dunkirk played fine afterwards. I think that 4K discs need to be perfectly clean to play well.

2 rooms or 1

Novice Member
The issue I am getting is the disc don’t even load

is this a know problem?

should I expect a player to be fussy or should it play every disc?

feeling somewhat deflated about this player

has anyone outer had a similar issue?

ggwoodland

Nearly all my bought 4ks play well - I’ve only had one that didn’t a Bourne film IIRC.

For rentals I’ve had a few that only show the initial screen then nothing. I’ve got one at the moment Tenet which my first rental didn’t play - today I have just received another copy which I will try this week. Yeah I agree it is a PITA when a disc doesn’t play but when they do the quality difference with streaming is noticeable - george

gibbsy

I've played 4K, blu ray, DVD both video and audio, CD and SACD on the LX, none have refused to load. How old is the unit and who is the dealer?

Steve356

Distinguished Member
I've only had one BR that refused to go the start up screen (still does it) and that's a Bon Jovi Concert disc. To be honest, it does funny things on my other 4K player too (Sony X800), so I guess it's just a weird disc. To get around it is easy as I simply have to push the Pop Up button on the remote and I get the Disc Menu.

I did have a few issues with Black Hawk Down 4K with sound drop outs on the Extended Version of the Movie, but that was with the prior firmware and once the updated it, the problem disappeared.

Other than that, all 4K, BR, DVD, CD, SACD and DVD-A discs have worked without an issue.

ggwoodland

Just tried my 2nd Tenet rental 4K - can’t get it to play. This is the first disc for a while that won’t play. Just tried my own 4K discs and no issues. Looks like I will need to stream Tenet - george

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Just tried my 2nd Tenet rental 4K - can’t get it to play. This is the first disc for a while that won’t play. Just tried my own 4K discs and no issues. Looks like I will need to stream Tenet - george

The downside of streaming Tenet is that you don't get the aspect changes that you get on the 4K disc if that bothers you. Having said that, I watched it on iTunes and didn't really miss the aspect side of things, but then I thought the movie itself was rubbish, so probably not the best person to comment. :D

gibbsy

It arrived just before Christmas with me.

Not sure of the build date / batch
I would chase the dealer up. They have been unavailable new because of Pioneer's finance and production problems since the summer. I still reckon that this and the LX800 are the best players on the market, supply problems excepted. I bought mine as an open box from SSaV in early March 2019. Missus is watching Close Ecounters in 4K at this moment on it.

2 rooms or 1

Novice Member
Mine too was open box. Must have been the last one in the uk, so of course I snapped it up

wishing now I had waited till March

gibbsy

I get it now. Thanks Gibbsy.

No guarantee that even if this happened that the UK would get any stock. I hope they do though as I agree 100% with you that they are great players.
Fingers crossed. The wife's watching Close Encounters and from the other side of the room it looks great on the 500. If she watches it one more time she'll now every line. Barrie, Barrieeeeeeee. Stubborn little sod, needs a clip around the ear.

2 rooms or 1

Novice Member

Tenet works fine 4K uhd from Amazon on my player

ggwoodland

Tenet works fine 4K uhd from Amazon on my player
Ok I tried 2 discs from the rental company and none played successfully. Oh well - as i said I usually have no issues on discs I bought - thanks for confirming that the disc does actually play on the LX500 - george

2 rooms or 1

Novice Member
Ok I tried 2 discs from the rental company and none played successfully. Oh well - as i said I usually have no issues on discs I bought - thanks for confirming that the disc does actually play on the LX500 - george

Are the discs that come from rental companies different from ones you get from Amazon or hmv?

which service do you use?

ggwoodland

Are the discs that come from rental companies different from ones you get from Amazon or hmv?

which service do you use?
I think rental discs have slightly different content than resale 4ks - but the film is exactly the same. I use Cinema Paradiso and nearly all of their 4ks play fine - not sure why I am having issues with this one

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner