1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fusion Website now up with products

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Dave Taylor, Jun 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    http://www.fusiondigitec.com

Just noticed that the Fusion hold page has gone and now a real website is up and running with PVR product info.

2. Patrick Navin

Patrick Navin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one who's noticed the worrying "SoftMPEG" references all over the place on these devices? I'm not 100% sure these will be true bitstream recorders. Is it possible these are decoding to analogue and then recoding to mpeg? If so I see little point in bothering with them.

anyone got any clarification?

Patrick

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I recon it probably refers to software mpeg decoding with a standard CPU as opposed to dedicated hardware mpeg decoding.

4. Patrick Navin

Patrick Navin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see why you'd say that CS, but if you notice on the literature they refer to different compression rates. This suggests some post-processing of the stream in order to fit programs to disk. I'm just wondering how much of an effect it will have on final picture quality. As it is we are stuck with the relatively low bandwidth of Freeview - meaning my Pace Twin's recordings are only ever as good as the transmission, any further reduction could render recordings unwatchable.

P.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've just had a look and there're four rates: Direct recording of the stream and then three variable bitrate options.

6. pvr_uk

pvr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At aleast this means you can back up to VCR / DVDR if you want. Unlike some others..

7. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    *If* Fusion do release the products they're planning for and *if* they work as described (in contrast with the Pace Twin), then the Twin will be dead in the water in my mind.

The Fusion PVR starts off with twice the Twin's HD size, plus has the ability to record at lower bit rates if you're desperate to squeeze more in. Plus you can archive off to DVD. About the only thing lacking is a USB/Ethernet output to read to/from a PC - though I can live without this given the built-in DVD burner.

Hope they support a modicum of recording editing - I would just want to be able to trim the start/finish & remove sections (adverts) from the HD prior to archiving to DVD.

And then there's the EPG. Am I alone in finding the Twin's EPG a bit useless - when it was briefly showing 24 hours it was agonising to navigate round - imaging having to go forwards through a 7-day EPG. The Fusion EPG *looks* infinitely easier to use.

My current plan is to keep the Twin until an alternative arrives. Assuming that the Twin still isn't fully fit for purpose, it then goes back for a refund - the joys of consumer legislation - and Pace continue their decline.

8. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do agree, but the Pace EPG did seem marginally quicker if you made effective use of Lists (eg a list with just BBC1/2, ITV/C5).

And then there's the EPG. Am I alone in finding the Twin's EPG a bit useless - when it was briefly showing 24 hours it was agonising to navigate round - imaging having to go forwards through a 7-day EPG. The Fusion EPG *looks* infinitely easier to use.

9. pvr_uk

pvr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just reading as well that Fusion now have several key ex-Pace engineers in their employ.