1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fusion FVRT100 PQ

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by richjthorpe, Nov 8, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I bought one of these last week and am happy with it (The wife even more so) but I have noticed something when there are fast moving flashing lights.

On friday night I watched TOTP, Jonathan Woss with Fat Boy Slim and Jools Holland with a couple of rock acts and on each one I noticed that the picture couldn't quite keep up and the picture was pixelating slightly.

Also, the picture quality looked like it had been turned down from 16 million colours to 100,000 and therefore could see patches of colour instead of gradients. I'm sure there is a word for this but being a newbie I don't know what it is ! Anyway of getting rid of this ?

The Signal Strength is up around 63% on both tuners and no errors. Is this strength good or can it be improved by moving the aeriel ?

The unit is connected to my Philips 28" CRT via RGB SCART.

TIA, Richie.

2. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also have one of these fusion boxes with a panny plasma.

Also notice the bad picture quality, especially for ITV and CH4.

I also have a very bad signal for these channels (around 50%), my Panasonic freeview can't even cope with the bad signal but when I do get a picture it's much cleaner and sharper then the fusion. But the fusion box does at least let me watch bad signal channels even if it's not as clean.

Surly the overall quality doesn't depend on the signal strength. I would have thought a good signal stops errors which stops all that pixilation issues (blockness) but not the overall quality.

Unless the box has a buffer and tries to eliminate the errors and estimate its own data(error bit correction) resulting in a picture that's watchable but lower resolution.....

Any ideas ???????

3. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've only had the freeview box since Saturday....

the functionality of the box is great but the PQ isn't and it's now starting to bug me....

the picture quality on all channels looks like composite rather then RGB...

Yes i've changed the setting to RGB for scart one.

4. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the picture quality that bad then? I am seriously considering buying one (or the Humax) for my father and I know he will not be happy if the picture quality is poor on his new LCD TV.

Also we have an Amp, can the Fusion be linked to the amp using Digital Coax or Optical? Thanks

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't know if anyone remembers the TV show "Never Mind The Quality, Feel the Width", but it accurately describes digital TV (both Freeview and Sky !). If you're going to wedge 20 digital TV channels into a bandwidth that only 2 analogue channels would fit into, the quality is going to suffer.

As screen sizes get bigger and screen definitions get better, the problem will show itself more. HDTV will be along sometime in 2006, but in the meantime.......

P.S. The DigiFusion has no optical or co-ax sound connections.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There has been a lot of praise for DTT/Freeview in terms of PQ but it is based on a finite amount of capacity for each mux and all the broadcasters attempt to maximise that capacity and for things like sport and bright/fast moving programming the lack of bitrate will become apparent.
    Different models of STB and displays can hide or emphasis this effect.

The lack of digital audio out on the PVRT100 was a mistake, it's absence on the upcoming FVRT200 is a disgrace and means I will not be even considering it.