"Fusion" cooling system from Game

Widge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen this?

An apparently 'silent' thing that sticks on the back of your PS3 to help suck out and disperse heat.

Sounds interesting if only from the viewpoint of less main fan noise from the PS3.

Has anyone tried it or can recommend it?

How is it silent? Doesnt it have fans? Id expect the fan noise from the unit is louder than the PS3 could ever be anyway unfortunately... but I hope Im wrong!

It'll have fans, it'll also be more noisy and it wont make a spot of difference, they're really gimmicky.

If you want to make your PS3 cooler and more quiet you could stand it upright and let physics work its magic and the heat will rise up out of it, unlike the 360 which has no vents up the top.

Its made by joytech it seems, I can see it advertised as an offer on this forum now!

I may get it next month. Only a tenner. If only to report back to everyone here.

If you want to make your PS3 cooler and more quiet you could stand it upright and let physics work its magic and the heat will rise up out of it, unlike the 360 which has no vents up the top.

Clearly you have never looked that 360 you have. It has two rows at the top on either side of the case and another section at the top in front of the HDD drive. If on its side it would have 2 rows at either end of the top, ie side.

If it was silent then its likely a heat sink and therefore not much use since its contact would be plastic. If its a fan then there will be some noise which could easily be more than the pretty quiet PS3. Either way its unlikely provide much if any improvement.

Not putting the PS3 or Xbox in an enclosed shelving unit or obstructing the vents is a far cheaper and more effective way of improving the reliability and thermal control for the units.

A recent test was done on the ps3 putting it through high stress levels, they were also pleased to say that the ps3 does not need any external fans at all, its companies that build these external fans that prey on people who are sceptical about reliability. I would seriously just leave the system as it is, its taken 7 years to design, im sure it will be fine with a little heat, for a start it has a 5 1/2 inch fan dispersing the heat, not to mention that the chassis also acts as a heatsink for the cell processor:thumbsup:

Its not so much worrying about the heat, its the prospect of having a silent unit that fits on the back and ensures that hot air is sucked away, leaving (I hope) the fan to run on the lowest level possible.

Natch if the above doesn't work, then its a waste of a tenner. But I may do it for the greater good of the forum so we can all sleep at night!

Its not so much worrying about the heat, its the prospect of having a silent unit that fits on the back and ensures that hot air is sucked away, leaving (I hope) the fan to run on the lowest level possible.

Natch if the above doesn't work, then its a waste of a tenner. But I may do it for the greater good of the forum so we can all sleep at night!

You're more likely to constrict airflow and make the PS3s fan have to work harder, as a side effect making the console hotter and the internal fan run faster (and noisier).

PS3s cooling system is excellent and very efficient, I'd leave it well alone!

I agree, if you have one side drawing more air than the other, there will be rift in the flow, and will create a minor vacuum which in time will let the cell overheat even more due to air not circulating!!! Its pretty understandable, and if sony wanted you to buy detachable fans they would make an announcement, no one even knows if sony may decline an overheated ps3 if they find that the owner was using a 3rd party add on which infact alters the original working order of the unit:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom