1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fusion 4 Or Ms 904??!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vetta7, Jul 11, 2005.

1. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any people in these forums who know about the Fusion 3 floorstanders or MS 904's because I'm going to buy a pair and I don't want to wait till they're out of stock waiting for a reply on these forums

I posted below but no answer whatsoever

2. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im just gonna keep bumping until someone helps me. I thought this was a forum - obviously hardly anyone ever comes in here who can be bothered to at least give me somesort of advice :mad:

3. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, six and a half hours is obviously enough to find someone who has compared both of these fairly uncommon speakers... :rolleyes:

Fusion 3 or 4?

4. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're not uncommon - they're regarded some of the best within that price range for people who aren't snotty and try to always flog you B&W's and Wharfedales.

It's been 2 days actually since I posted my first thread it's not my fault no one bothers coming in here.

It's pretty useless, I'll go elsewhere cus I'd have more fun watching paint dry than waiting for any help in here.

5. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I typed it wrong in a fit of bordom I meant to type Fusion 3's not Fusion 4's because it more within my budget.
    :mad:
    Are they any moderators or anyone with a lot of knowledge of speakers who come in here because it's not like I haven't tried - I've looked all over the internet - Richer Sounds - about 3 hi-fi stores near me and they're not much help.

:devil:

6. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a pair of Fusion 3's at home. Good speakers, sturdy, well built and good for the money. cleaner bass than the Wharfedale 8.3s i demoed them against, more subtle but powerful enough for both HC and music. Haven't heard the heard the MS904s though...sorry to be so useless... :rolleyes:

7. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for posting Tom - I appreciate it! What you said is interesting and they look very good to me too - I found 1 more review of the cinema package on home cinema choice website that I didn't see before and it get a v good write up there.

I'm thinking of demo'ing the Mordaunt Short 914's from Richer sounds because they don't have the MS 904's and see what they're like - unfortunately it's very hard to get hold of people who stock the Tannoy's let alone allow for demo.

You're not useless and neither are the people in this forum it's just unfortunately I don't want to find out what they sound like before they run out of stock.

Any futher advice no matter how small would be really useful to me because I'm planning on making a purchase in the next few days or so. Cheers, :suicide:

8. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vetta7,

I have heard the MS906, and can say they are well worth the money. They have a very 'full' sound throughout the range, they look gorgeous, they're built very well, and they work very well with both music and movies. Also, there is a huge difference between the 904 and 906. If you can stretch your budget, go with the 906. The 904s are a tad weak in the bass department, whereas the 906s have so much punch, and generally sound better.

9. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Rockhopper, appreciate your input too. I've had a look at the MS 906's again because I looked at them briefly and then thought no because of the price, but I found them for £240. I seem to keep stretching my budget but I wouldn't pay anymore than that because where do you stop ??

I like the look of the 906's and from what you said about the bass of the 904's I've read in a few places and some threads on this forum too.

I am going to Richer Sounds tomorrow to try out the MS 914's at home because Ideally I wanted to try the 904's but they don't stock them. I looked at the price of the 906's from Richer Sounds and they're selling them for £350 :eek: so i'm not sure if they will beat the price I found so I'll find that out too.

The only thing that i'm slightly concerned about is if the 906's are going to be a lot bigger than the 904/914's because although it is a large room (2 rooms opened up) it will go near the TV and HI-FI rack (slightly cramped) - what do you think?!?!

Anyway sorry for the long post just trying to figure out what to do myself - I'm going to audition either the 914's or the 906's and see what I think and then if I happen not to like their sound I'll go with the Tannoy Fusion 3's and save my money for other things - Tannoy Fusion 3's @ £130.

What do you reckon? Anyone?

(Also I was told by someone who used to work for Richer Sounds that the MS 914's and 904's are practically the same speaker and very little difference apart from the material used for the tweeter or something like that.)

10. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you went for the 904s (or the 914 if they are similar) I reckon you would be missing something from the midrange. I'm no expert on frequency range figures, but from experience, even if you have a sub to take care of the very bottom end, you will be missing something a bit higher in the range - you would therefore need to increase the sub volume more to try and get a good balance.

I personally believe it's better to have the main speakers take care of as much bass as possible, and have the sub kick in at levels which the main speakers can't reach. I just think it sounds better and more balanced this way, rather than having your sub cranked up and too much bass - it all start to sound too artificial.

The 906 go really low - in fact i'd say even without a sub they go very low, almost low enough to not need a sub. Obviously though, nothing can beat a 'good' sub for that really low bass weight. All I am saying is that if you are on a tight budget you could still go with the 906, and leave the sub till later. Take it from me, if you get the 904s, you'll always be thinking "should I have waited and got the 906, what am I missing"...

If you find the 906 are too much for the small room, you could fill the rear ports which should tighten things up.

Hope this helps!

11. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, at £240 (where at if you dont mind me asking) you cant go wrong - thats a cracking deal, a LOT of speaker for your money!

Richer Sounds will "price beat" by £10!

12. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Not true - clearly RS haven't been reading their brochures. :rolleyes:

Whilst the tweeters are similar (but not identical) the bass driver in the Avant 904 is a 5.25" with forward roll surround, and the 914 has a 6.5" with reverse roll surround.
    The Avant 904 also has first order crossovers and the 914 has second order throughout.

All of this information is available on the website - www.mordaunt-short.co.uk

13. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't sure to create a new thread based on some new information i've had and I've decided to move my budget up higher -

So basically I've seen the Mordaunt Shorts and read reviews on both them and the Tannoy Fusion range. Now the problem is I can't get any Fusion 4's for a good price - only the Fusion 3's so I did some research and can get the Revolution R2's for a really superb price so I'll probably go with them - the only one Mordaunt Short to match it up against would be the MS906's (3 way)

I went to Richer Sounds today and lets just say I won't be doing any business with them in the future due to they supposed price match which only actually happens if they have the stock (which is rare) or the stock is in at the other place regardless of if they put an individual order for you. I just found them to be very rude and not helpful whatsoever. No offence to people who like them, but I have been a customer of theirs before and obviously they don't want my money.

So i'm left now with the Mordaunt Short 906 and Tannoy Revolution R2 both for the same price. I can't audition any of them because with Richer you must pay their price and they're not too keen on people taking them back and not buying anything else from them also the other hi-fi shops have everything BUT MS and Tannoy.

Definitely buying 1 of these now and my mind is made up just not sure which company to trust....... Please help anyone else because I really would appreciate any input you have.

14. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Beobloke,

The guy I spoke to on the phone used to work for them, but not anymore he's now at RGB.... I think he was talking mainly on what they sound like rather than their technical details as such - even though I have looked at the Mordaunt Short website a lot of the stuff if I'm to be honest is jargon ( I just go on what I like hearing best ). Where I am sure the bass driver and number of order crossovers are different I should have looked at this myself and double checking before posting.

I appologise for this - I think at the end of the day you have to listen to these things yourself to see if these modifications actually REALLY make a difference or if they're trying to sound like they've improved them.

Thank you for your post though :)

15. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Rockhopper,

I don't mind telling you where I got the deal from as long as you don't buy them all lol and then I find they're out of stock :suicide: lol.... but I will tell you, you already have speakers now and to be honest you would always be waiting for a better deal anyway - It's just I need some speakers pretty soon because at the moment I have nothing and i'm not putting my older Tannoy Mercury's next to my brand new TV as they're not magnetically shielded lol.

I'll get back to you though if you still look at the thread as i'm buying them ASAP.

16. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update - Just found out that the Tannoy Revolution R2's aren't magnetically shielded so that rules them out - found the Tannoy Fusion 4's for £20 more though so I think I'm probably going to go with them unless anyone thinks that the Fusion 3's (and save my money for other stuff later) or the MS 906's would be a better better bet?!?!?

It's a shame that they're not magnetically shielded really because they are going right next to the widescreen TV - they are really nice finish too (real cherry wood) :(

Wish I could make a :censored: decision - it's just that aroun £200-£250 is a lot of money for me to get it wrong.

17. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, these decisions are so difficult to make and Im afraid that I am not really going to clear the mud for you either!

Unfortunately budget is always an issue, I know!

I went through the auditioning phase for about 4 months before I finally made up my mind and eventually settled for the Mordaunt-Short 908s. To give you some idea of what I have listened to: Monitor Audio B4, B6, S6; B&W 300 & 600, M&K, Cerwin Vega Classic, Kef Q series, Boston Accoustics, Mission, Wharfedale Evo, Mordaunt-Short.

Of these the Kefs and Mordaunt-Shorts impressed be the most with good clear highs and extremely good midrange and in the case of the MS908, good solid bass. I have not listened to the MS906s, but have seen some very good reviews on them.

What I do know is that the 908s do not look out of place close to the television as they not only sound good, but look good too.

One more thing, I do not know the Tannoy Fusion speakers, but had a pair of Tannoy MX1s on my previous system and they where really impressive for their size.

19. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well getting a pair tonight - I hate making a decision because I've havent had the opportunity to hear either and that's going to be the clincher for me, as they're both the same price - both good looking in my opinion and both well made + punch above their weight.

I'm leaning slightly towards the MS906's based on their best buy in Hi-Fi Choice and a really good write up in What Video magazie.

What I don't want is to find when I get them that I should have stuck with Tannoy because at least I've got an idea with what I'll be getting with them. It's a damn shame no one has auditioned both of these while they were buying their speakers because that would have been great. Oh well :(

Gonna think about it now and have to make a decision myself based on what has been said here and I've found out. Thanks a lot to people who have posted as I really appreciate it.

20. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the Mordaunt Short 906's and testing them out now. So far so good and I generally like them - although I know they need a bit of running in. They seem to be good, but theres something that isn't quite right when I play some rock songs they sound a bit like they're behind something and not as fluid as I would have thought.

So now all I want to know is if anyone other than Tom Painter has Tannoy's preferably the Fusion 4's or even the Fusion 3's just give me an idea what you owners think of them.

Hardly anyone who has them in this forum, but there must be someone out there!!!!

Get back :lease: all you Tannoy Owners

I wanna know if the grass is greener on the other side (as I havent heard these Fusion's)

Cheers for everyone who helped me though.....Greg, Tom, alphabet and the others :cool:

21. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. shiresy

shiresy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vetta7

you sound really bratty

i have also been a little frustrated on this forum - but i soon realised that other people that use this space are not MY audience to demand answers from!

talk about how to make friends and influence people:
    "I don't want to wait till they're out of stock waiting for a reply on these forums"

:rolleyes:

23. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I give a **** what you think ?

Bothered

I've gone to another forum anyway with people who actually post constructive advice instead of saying i'm "bratty".

I actually found a few people on here who were helpful - minus you and a few others.

If you have a problem with what I type don't ****ing read it.

Now go **** yourself you little brat :D

24. vetta7

vetta7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and by the way...............

"I don't want to wait till they're out of stock waiting for a reply on these forums"

- Was sarcasm (not a dig) you stupid ****.

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Goodbye

26. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned: