1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuse in 100X5R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by muellec3, Nov 3, 2004.

1. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all
    Yesterday I played around with some voodoo-tuning on my equipment. After having spent a serious amount of of money on power cables and of course interconnect- and speaker cables I have tried some "decent" fuses which replace the glass-thingies near the power inlet in the separates.
    When changing the fuse in DVD32FLR I recognized an instant improvement in sound quality which I thought could not be possible for such a laughable amount of money (7.-- Euro/ea.)
    This encouraged me to order more of them with the distributor in order to change all fuses in my TAG gear. After checking the units I found the following:
    AV32R DP, T32R DAB and DVD32FLR all are equipped with T 1A fuses.
    What puzzled me was that also the 100X5R (equipped with all 5 modules) carries a T 1A fuse - while my collegue's amp is equipped with a T 5A fuse.....
    Could somebody please :lease: advice me, what the correct value of that fuse is by checking their unit - or may be the experts (Steve - anyone from (ex-)TAG....) could advise ???

Thanks in advance - Chris

PS: yes, I tried to reach the helpdesk....but.... no luck..... still.....

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the Voodoo Lounge!

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could also be a very bad sign, someone was playing around with the unit! As far as I know 5A is correct, but TAG gurus will correct me for sure if I am wrong (I am not sure here since I do not have TAG amps, apart from 60iRv in another room).

4. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If I remember correctly, the fuse in the IEC socket is only for the processor board, the modules are individually fused on the processor board itself.

On a more serious note, fuses are selected to meet safety requirements, this includes the characteristics and conditions under which they are required to fail. The suggestion that glass fuses are somehow not "decent" to use your word is at best uninformed, the construction of the various types of fuse is determined by the required failure characteristics, in particular the speed with which they will blow when subjected to a specified overload. Fuses should only be replaced with identically specified and rated components.

As for instantly improved 'FLR sound quality from changing the fuse :laugh: and I totally agree that a 7 Euro fuse is a laughable amount of money, but probably not the way you meant it.

5. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dear John

Thanks a lot for your always welcome reply and advice.

....and sorry that I am not english by mothertongue :blush: (nor scottish) therefore my vocabulary is somewhat limited....

As far as the sound quality is concerned I can only recomend to try it - or may be my ears are palying a trick on me ? :hiya:
    Cheers
    Chris

6. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a check on a semi-destroyed 100x5R and the fuse in the IEC socket is for the controller board only. The amp modules are each fused independently on the controller board and are connected to the direct feed on the IEC socket.

To add a bit of confusion, the text on the chassis says that the fuse should be a Time-lag 5A, although the one fitted is a more sensible 1A. I might have a pre-production chassis, but the picture of the rear panel in the user manual also shows this.

As for fuse listening, get another person to swap the fuses (aka A, B, X) and see if you can then hear the difference between them. You have to do it quite a few times otherwise you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right!

7. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Steve

Thanks again for the detailed explenation. Your post is making me think to order even more overpriced fuses.... let's see :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Chris

8. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    ...and you of course use a gold plated paper clip. You should then hear more sirens, alarm bells etc in the background. Your DVDs will however have a smokey texture to them....

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I say fuse technology took a huge step backwards when Kit Kat biscuits decided to use plastic wrappers instead of foil.... must of cost dodgy electricians a fortune using the real thing! :D :D :eek:

10. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  11. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Darn, I though the rules were KitKat wrappers = equipment fuses, 6" nails = ring main fuses and industrial stuff! :D :devil:

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You guys crack me up :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    I thought everyone knew that the fuse just acts as a method of keeping the smoke in the circuit as every BBC engineer knows that all circuits require smoke to work, let the smoke out and it stops working........

John makes a serious point here both on safety and wasting one's money (a T1A 20mm fuse is 7 pence to us), using the correct value and type (assuming it can carry the current required by the unit and the manufacturer hasn't cocked the value) is all anyone needs to do, the suggestion that a DVD32FLR sound improves by changing the fuse (and I've seen solid brass slugs turned up and gold plated and sold as fuse improvments!) to a "special" type (or any other bit of TAG kit) is just crazy or in the case I mention above downright dangerous........
    Of course I could start a business using glass fuses with specially sealed ends to ensure the smoke doesn't escape....... :D :D :D

14. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'd be better off asking the person responsible for designing that product that question.

I would also echo John's wise words about how safety critical fuses are.....

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    What should the fuse value be on the 100x5r and 250x3r?

16. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Graham
    I can only speak for the 100x5R which I opened today: in the power socket there is a T1A and inside (at the bottom of the processor board) there are fuses of T2A for each module installed.
    Cheers
    Chris

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.

Yep I know what is inside, I was curious as to what IAG think ought to be the fuse ratings.... BTW, I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they lift the lid of any TAG gear on safety grounds.....(especailly the amps.....), the usual "no user servicable parts inside" disclaimer applies....