1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Further to HTPC crashing,now have problem with sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by terryc, May 13, 2002.

1. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Following on from my previous posting, after installing Windows XP pro I played one or two films each day for the whole week and not one single problem.I had brought the PC into the living room and just hooked it up to a small monitor so we wasn't getting any sound (not really necessary).However, when I took the PC back into my home cinema (converted garage- best thing I ever done) there was an obvious problem with the sound. The sound is simply breaking up all the time, or probably more correctly seems to be ' beating '. I use the M audio audiophile 2496 and went into the Delta control panel and selected the monitor mixer. The only mixer lit is the WAVOUT S/PDIF as it should be but there is no activity on the meter in time with the program material but is FULLY lit all the time. Anyone out there have a clue why this is so?

I have a feeling that by the time I get this HTPC to do what it's supposed to do at the push of a switch, the 'Rock' processor will be on sale in Dixons at £19.99.

Again, any guidance would be gratefully received.

All the best

terry

2. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terry,
    Have you installed the latest 24/96 XP drivers?

hehe...so its not just me that has these thoughts! ;)

Cam

3. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to add about installing the latest VIA 4in1 drivers and latest bios update if you are still using the Abit board.

Cam

4. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Cam

Eh! the short answer is 'no'.

I'll get my son to download the relevent software for me.

You wouldn't have the necessary web addresses by any chance?

All the best

terry

5. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are the URLs

http://www.viahardware.com/

For the bios and and 4in1 drivers its also worth checking out the FAQ for your particular mobo. Unless you know exactly what you are doing I wouldn't attempt flashing yourself. Also the utility for flashing from Windows is very much a beta product and VIA still advise flashing the usual way

http://www.midiman.com/support/driversearch.php

for the latest Audiophile WinXP driver files here is what it said about the driver as well
    "Release Notes: Adds support for Delta 1010LT. Fixes low latency settings in XP. Fixes VIA playback crackle. FINAL"

I hope this of some help.
    Fingers crossed!

Cam

6. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cam

We have downloaded the XP drivers from M audio but my son has been too busy with his school prep to put onto the HTPC tonight.
    Maybe tomorrow!
    He seems to understand the MoBo business also.

Will let you know how we get on.

Cheers for now

terry

7. terryc

terryc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cam

Just to let you know that everything seems to be OK now. My son put the 2496 XP drivers on the HTPC last night. Things didn't go very smoothly and he was messing about for over an hour. He's also new to this lark but he's getting to be quite proficient as he goes along! although we was a bit deflated because the meters on the WAVOUT S/PDIF was still illuminated at max continually and I didn't hold out much hope. Anyway, I took the HTPC into the HC this evening and was relieved that the sound seems OK.
    I can't understand why there's no movement on the meter though ...... is this normal?

All the best

terry

Film may be art, but HTPC's are a pain in the butt