1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Further/Higher Education?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tom_painter85, Apr 18, 2005.

1. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Afternoon all

I'm fast approaching 20 and looking for a career really. I'm basically looking to join the RAF in about 12 months time, not entirely sure what I plan on doing, hopefully Fighter controller, but I'm waiting to see what the careers office can offer me.

I left school last year at 18, with 4 'A' levels and an AS in chemistry. So not hugely qualified but I guess it shows i have a brain that's not stagnating. any employers out there, what, realistically, are my chances of getting an interview. Are these 'qualifications' enough to get my foot in the door for an interview? I'm getting depressed and a little worried about the state of education and how 'A' levels seem to becoming more and more worthless. Do i need, or rather, should I consider signing up for evening classes to get some more qualifications?

I appreciate that much of an interview is how I come across to the interviewer, but as I said, I'm worried that I might be overlooked in any selection process.

I'm not looking at any particular places at the moment, as I've got myself a job to tide me over (paying bills, running car, etc.) but I'm thinking about a job with responsibility that looks better on a CV to prove that I'm worth employing.

Cheers all, any feedback appreciated

Tom

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    With your grades in hand you can (just) make it through the UCAS program and see what you would be eligable for course wise.

Then ask the following questions

Will the outlay be made up with improved prospects after graduation?
    You haven't previously shown interest to go- can you sustain three years of actual interest in what you will be doing? Leaving with the debts but without the degree would be the worst of both worlds.
    If (as you imply) you have disposable income now, how well will you do without it?

If you can positively say yes to all of these then I would suggest you give it a go. I loved my time at University and it did help me get the job I have now. If there is any doubt then I wouldn't.

3. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    It depends on what type of job you are going for and what position it is.

I recently hired a new secretary for the company I work for. I hired her not based on her qualifications or experience but because she out together a good CV and her attitude was good at the interview (1st and 2nd).

I personally dont have a long list of qualifications to my name but I feel I have done rather well for myself by simply showing the right attitude and commitment to the job I am and was employed to do.

My advice would be- find a job that interests you, phone the contact name on the ad/agency and find out exactly what and who they are looking for. By calling them you are showing interest and most importantly, finding out whether or not you are eligible for the job (and not wasting your time by applying). If you are eligible for the job make sure you have some questions regarding the position, this again shows an interest and also makes your call memorable to the person (hopefully the interviewee) taking the call.

Be positive and well turned out!

Good luck :smashin:

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Only according to the press, and frankly their ill informed opinions aren't worth a bent penny.

If you're looking to join the RAF, then I would take Masons advice and get some interview practice in, as selling yourself is an art. If you already know that your qualfiications will get you in, then why worry about getting more? You can do that once you've signed up. Get down to the RAF and ask them for advice on what they think would help your career during and after service.

5. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a small disposable income, not a lot as I'm only 19 and therefore on a mediocre wage. Not too bad, but all not wonderful. Failing the UCAS bit i could always apply to do a degree through the open Uni through the RAF. not as much of the Uni social, but then again, everyone knows what the forces are capable of...

My 'A' levels are in physics, english literature and maths with grades B B and D respectively, with a C in general studies (biggest cop-out i know of, but it still counts as an a level...alledgedly)

I'm just a little worried about what the future holds if I don't get any cleverer, on paper at least.

Tom

EDIT: bit of simultaneous posting going on here...sorry if that makes no sense

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Nothing to do with the size of her jumblies :eek:

7. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132

:rolleyes: :eek: :nono: ;)

8. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Aye right :laugh:

9. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wish I had big jumblies....getting a job would be so much easier...

If I could find the time to go out...:D

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just have to see what happens. I'll be a lot happier once I know what's happening with the RAF, but that's all down to me now.

Cheers everyone

Tom :)

10. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Huh I wish!!! :D
    I think the main thing is to do something, whether its more learning or just gaining hands on experience. It all counts. If you really decide that the RAF is for you (not sure what the selection process is and why you have to wait 12 months) then take Overkills advice - go down and see them and ask what would help you in applying, if you get and and once you get out. Failing that apply for a range of jobs - every application form and interview is a learning process. Maybe try charity work if you have a separate income?

And have a serious think about uni. I never went and really wish I had. Although I would never admit that to my Dad :blush:

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's a difficult one Tom, Uni is great in some respects as moving out from home is undoubtedly the best thing I've done towards becoming my own person although obviously it's not without it's trials!

My own experience of my physics degree is that unless you come out with a 2:1 or 1st class classification then it's a complete bloody waste of time from an employment perspective. :(

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Go to Art College. You get to drink lots and generally misbehave for 3 years.
    They don't expect you to learn anything , just do anything you like...as long as you can justify it to your tutors its fine.

If I could do it all again I'd be a blacksmith ...because of all the upper crust tottie that want you to shoe their nags and give em a bit of rough into the bargain.

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    This is increasingly true, and Unis are being lax in drumming this home.

I gave a talk to group of students last week and contrary to the soothing noises coming from the Student advisors, I told them straight that; a) they need at least a 2.1 and b) preferably a good one, to give themselves a real chance at getting the job they want. The days of boozing your way to a 2.2 and still getting something reasonably worthwhile are gone. Employers are becoming aware even of the classifications within the levels.

There were some pretty sick looking faces at the end I can tell you! :rolleyes:

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Couldn't agree more on that one, it wasn't until I tried to get a placement position last year that it really hit home as I'm exactly on the 3/2.2 border and nobody was interested (even with a physics degree from Bath which must hold at least some weight). Now I'm finding the same thing again and the employment statistics provided by the unis may well state that everyone who graduated was in employment or making some other useful time of it, unfortunately only 25% of those were actually in graduate level jobs! :)

15. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,406
    I left school at 16 (although I started work at 15) with the barest minimal of qualifications and did everything from door to door selling, through digging holes in gardens and cemetry's to working behind bars then in merchant banks then in admin and facilities then into the police service. I never wanted to be in the police (in fact when I was growing up the old bill was a pain in the side!) infact I had trained as an actor and was training as a stuntman when it happened, so I guess the moral behind my story is that you can do anything and shouldn't worry too much about getting EXACTLY what you want or even knowing what you want, as you have the rest of your life to figure it out!

I believe it doesn't matter what you do for a living as long as you work, closely followed by, doesn't matter what it is but enjoy your work! Don't worry too much about it all as life is stressfull enough so just get on and enjoy it! And like home cinema, if it feel's right to you, then it is right!!!

16. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd love to do a degree in something Physics-based, I've always enjoyed it and I think thats how my brain seems to work. Or engineering, possibly aeronautical, etc.

I still think going for the RAF is my best shot, then failing that I can take stock and see what the world has to offer. Hell, I might even go back into Landscape gardening...
    :)

Thanks all

Tom

17. bluemoon32

bluemoon32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I loved doing something in the Further/Higher Education sector, because my favourite parts to it were fooling around in diners and toilets with cool people! :):D

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Well, that was worth a nine year wait.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Why not join the RAF as an engineer?

20. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Well according to this

Air Traffic Control Officer - Careers

you meet the entry requirements.

However, I bet this isn't the whole story. I suspect they are over-subscribed for these roles and they will have their pick of the crop. I imagine that you would be up against others with better qualifications and you would have to really shine.

Your biggest baggage is the 'D' in maths - I don't think that would go down to well with Air Traffic Control or Engineer recruiters.

Having said that there is no harm in practicing hard and giving it a go.

Cheers,

Nigel

21. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +982
    To late. Looks like he is a sales executive!

22. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    D'oh. Didn't spot that the original post was from 2005.

:facepalm:

23. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,711
    But having said that.....Tom what has happened in those intervening years?

24. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,465
    It's so bizarre that you said that; When I was at school and doing my GCSE's, I knew that I was going into the Army at 16 as an apprentice (I tried to join at 14, they told me to come back later!). My best mate at the time wanted to go into the RAF as a pilot. Whilst I was off enjoying the Army, and earning (some) money, my mate was doing his A levels. When I went to my first operational unit, and started travelling the world, meeting new and interesting people from other civilisations, my mate was at Uni, studying Aeronautical something or other. After educating himself for 5 years, my mate went back to the RAF careers information office...And found out he was colour-blind, and he'd never be a pilot as long as he had a hole in his arse. To come back to the start of my post, he became...A landscape gardener!

My advice? Go back the RAF careers office now. See what they can offer you in the near future, and go for it. It'll never be what you expected it to be like, it WILL be a huge culture shock, but in all liklihood, you'll have fun. You can always educate yourself further in the future, and the RAF is a big employer, so you'll always have scope to move into new fields.

Good luck :)

25. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,990
    Is the RAF really a good long term career option? The military continue to downsize and the UAV program looks to be replacing traditional airforces.

26. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,465
    I can't think of any job really which is safe in todays world of uncertainty. Apart from being an undertaker or hooker. People always die, and need lovin'.