Further help choosing 65 inch please

dazzer123

Established Member
Reaction score
After my previous posts and advice on possible replacement models for my TV i was hoping for a little more help dwindling down my main contenders i have been to currys and thier shelves are becoming bare as they shift out ex display 2019 and 2018 models but here are some that interest me but would like opinions maybe from @Dodgxander.

SAMSUNG QE65Q85RATXXU display model @£1299 no box full warranty
Samsung QE65Q80R richer sounds new in box @1299 6yr warranty
Sony BRAVIA KD65XF9005BU Boxed new richer sounds 6yr warranty @£999
Sony BRAVIA KD65XG9505BU Boxed new richer sounds 6yr warranty @1199

i love the one connect box on the Q85R but is £1299 worth it for a display model i know picture quality is supposedly very good but the material on show in Currys did not allow the screen to show off it's potential.

Would the Q80r be a good prospect losing the one connect box :( but brand new available from richer with i am assuming same specs as Q85r minus the one connect.

Sony KD65XF9005 the well reviewd 2018 model picture again did not look great in Currys but the same poor material was being shown on multiple screens the price is a little easier to swallow.

Sony BRAVIA KD65XG9505BU apparently can run android pie as opposed to Oreo on XF9005 im a little concerned about clunky Android as so many seem to slate it and read pie is a little better but only certain sony models can upgrade to it apparently XG9505 can XF9005 can not, are there any better picture attributes over the XF9005 and at £1199 should i just be plumping for one of the samsungs ?

Thanks in advance.

After my previous posts and advice on possible replacement models for my TV i was hoping for a little more help dwindling down my main contenders i have been to currys and thier shelves are becoming bare as they shift out ex display 2019 and 2018 models but here are some that interest me but would like opinions maybe from @Dodgxander.

SAMSUNG QE65Q85RATXXU display model @£1299 no box full warranty
Samsung QE65Q80R richer sounds new in box @1299 6yr warranty
Sony BRAVIA KD65XF9005BU Boxed new richer sounds 6yr warranty @£999
Sony BRAVIA KD65XG9505BU Boxed new richer sounds 6yr warranty @1199

i love the one connect box on the Q85R but is £1299 worth it for a display model i know picture quality is supposedly very good but the material on show in Currys did not allow the screen to show off it's potential.

Would the Q80r be a good prospect losing the one connect box :( but brand new available from richer with i am assuming same specs as Q85r minus the one connect.

Sony KD65XF9005 the well reviewd 2018 model picture again did not look great in Currys but the same poor material was being shown on multiple screens the price is a little easier to swallow.

Sony BRAVIA KD65XG9505BU apparently can run android pie as opposed to Oreo on XF9005 im a little concerned about clunky Android as so many seem to slate it and read pie is a little better but only certain sony models can upgrade to it apparently XG9505 can XF9005 can not, are there any better picture attributes over the XF9005 and at £1199 should i just be plumping for one of the samsungs ?

Thanks in advance.

I own an XF9005 and it's a superb set for the money. Great picture quality and motion, and the HDR is excellent. The XG9505 is essentially the same set but a tad brighter with a slightly faster processor and a few other more modern features.

The Samsung 85 is a great set but I personally wouldn't get an ex display model especially at that price and the Sony Trump's the 80 in my opinion although there isn't much in it.

I own an XF9005 and it's a superb set for the money. Great picture quality and motion, and the HDR is excellent. The XG9505 is essentially the same set but a tad brighter with a slightly faster processor and a few other more modern features.

The Samsung 85 is a great set but I personally wouldn't get an ex display model especially at that price and the Sony Trump's the 80 in my opinion although there isn't much in it.
Thanks for reply are you running oreo on your xf9005 how do you find navigating menus, I currently have a panasonic on firefox which is fast. Kodi installed on tv is appealing though as I use it as my media player. I have an epson tw7300 and a 92 inch grand view screen for movie duties so which ever tv I get will be for daily tv stuff and odd bit of call of duty.

Thanks for reply are you running oreo on your xf9005 how do you find navigating menus, I currently have a panasonic on firefox which is fast. Kodi installed on tv is appealing though as I use it as my media player.

Yes it's Oreo and it's very slick for me, no issues at all. I personally think Sony get too much stick for their Android, which stems back a few years when they lagged far behind most others on their menus. It's nicely caught up now definitely don't let that put you off.

Each has their pros and cons. With the Sony models motion is their forte which makes them excellent for watching sport. They also are very accurate in both SDR and HDR modes.

With Samsung though really the Q70R is similar to the XF9005 whilst the Q80R is similar to the XG9505. The Q85R is a step above with local dimming and will provide you with better HDR.

The disadvantage with the Samsung models is they aren't quite as accurate, especially in HDR mode.

The XG9505 Sony has an upgraded chipset compared to the XF9005, so will run faster.

Samsung Q70R=Sony XF9005
Samsung Q80R=Sony XG9505
Samsung Q85R=No equivalent at this size.

If it was me shopping, I'd go for the Sony if I was to use the TV with sport, or that I wanted a TV with good motion.

If however I wanted maximum impact and more jaw dropping with HDR content, I'd get the Q85R.

Sony is looking the contender then I'm not a sports fan so that is not a consideration I have seen xf9005 now for £950 at AO via Ebay which I'm sure richer will match just wether the xg is worth the extra over XF. Wow factor is nice.

Richer state in their terms to price match the price has to include an extended warranty, so not sure they will match.

The XG9505 gets brighter, has faster smart TV because of an updated chipset. A slightly better picture processor. 4x HDMI 2.0 ports instead of 2x 2.0 and 2x 1.4 and comes with support for eARC. Given you get that much extra I'd say the £200 is worth it. But those will mean different things to different people.

earc has little use to me and only really need 1 hdmi to go from my receiver but brighter and faster and better picture processor mean more to me.
Thank you that really helps a lot.👍👍👍

Last edited:
Ok so I have plumped for the q85r as Currys in Altricham had one for collection so I have an hour drive to collect it but do like this model with it's one connect box and wide viewing angle but now I have two slight concerns.

1. I ordered online currys website and purchased set it made no indication that it was ex display so surely they could not sell ex display with out identifying as such and I am expecting a brand new sealed item, is this reasonable?

2. Due to height of box it may not fit in to my car standing up, is it safe to lie the item down if it is boxed in original packing. ?

1. You should call the store to make sure.
2. Don't transport an LCD TV on its back or front if you can help it. It may cause damage during transport.

When TVs are stored they are strictly stored and transported upright for this reason...you may get away with it if you are gentle, but I wouldn't do it. I'd sooner rent a van to pick it up.

I tried to call currys for more info waited on phone for 1hr 15 then gave up. I dont want to hire a van go 40 miles to find it is ex display.

I would have thought they are new boxed as my local store has 1 ex display but does not show up for online order really am hoping.

I tried to call currys for more info waited on phone for 1hr 15 then gave up. I dont want to hire a van go 40 miles to find it is ex display.

I would have thought they are new boxed as my local store has 1 ex display but does not show up for online order really am hoping.

Don't risk an ex display, especially not at that price. Get something brand new, with a 6 year warranty, I'd highly recommend Richer Sounds for their all round service, plus they do free delivery.

Called richer no stock bit currys have said it will be brand new sealed with 5or warranty so hopefully not to bad.

Called richer no stock bit currys have said it will be brand new sealed with 5or warranty so hopefully not to bad.

If you get that in writing (although I'm sure you'll soon see by the packaging if it's been opened) then go for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom