Furniture

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looking for a recommendation for furniture. We are looking for good quality but something that won't break the bank. As much as I like the look of some of DFS sofa, spending 1000+ on one is a no no at the moment because we need to buy a lot of things. Therefore a question is do you know of a company that makes good quality furniture but is affordable?

We need a corner sofa, king size bed, tv unit, mattress, coffee table, etc.

Most money on mattress, then comfortable couch everything else cut corners until you can afford it more.

No shops to recommend though, you need to test couches and mattresses in my eyes.

IKEA? I don't it would last year's but should be able to tide you over for a few years quite cheap to you are in a better position.
I've just ordered a replacement for a 8 year old very large Nabru corner sofa. It was never great quality but it only cost £600 so that was value for money.

Furniture Village do pretty good stuff. They also do free credit I believe.

DFS wouldn't be on my list to spend £1000 with!

Most money on mattress, then comfortable couch everything else cut corners until you can afford it more.

No shops to recommend though, you need to test couches and mattresses in my eyes.
That's what I'm thinking too but I don't really want to buy something I would have to change in 6 months either.
IKEA? I don't it would last year's but should be able to tide you over for a few years quite cheap to you are in a better position.
I've just ordered a replacement for a 8 year old very large Nabru corner sofa. It was never great quality but it only cost £600 so that was value for money.

We've been to Ikea last weekend and there will be a couple of things that we will be buying from them. However the corner sofa for example, we need it to be able to unfold to create sleeping area as well. Ikea doesn't have those (at least I can't see any).

Furniture Village do pretty good stuff. They also do free credit I believe.

DFS wouldn't be on my list to spend £1000 with!
Nice looking stuff, but again most corner sofas are 1000+ and none of them unfold.

Ideally we do want to buy using finance too (preferably 0%). Worst case scenario is using my credit card, but we will be killed by interest.

Just looking for a recommendation for furniture. We are looking for good quality but something that won't break the bank. As much as I like the look of some of DFS sofa, spending 1000+ on one is a no no at the moment because we need to buy a lot of things. Therefore a question is do you know of a company that makes good quality furniture but is affordable?

We need a corner sofa, king size bed, tv unit, mattress, coffee table, etc.

We bought the £300 dfs sofa a few years back (3 seater) for our kids lounge, it's been battered, abused, drinks spilt, food spilt, and used as a trampoline, and surprisingly has lasted extremely well, dfs even repaired the arm when it broke under their warranty.

So for a cheap outlay on a cheap sofa it's lasted well, and still perfectly useable.

For sofas and chairs I'm not taken by ikea, usually within a month or two there's visible sagging of fabrics and wear, cabinets and things are fine and are OK built,

I've bought the Argos furniture and beds many moons ago when I first bought my first house, the bed was awful, the mattress was awful, the furniture looked cheap, dated quickly and I really wasted my money there.

We bought the £300 dfs sofa a few years back (3 seater) for our kids lounge, it's been battered, abused, drinks spilt, food spilt, and used as a trampoline, and surprisingly has lasted extremely well, dfs even repaired the arm when it broke under their warranty.

So for a cheap outlay on a cheap sofa it's lasted well, and still perfectly useable.

For sofas and chairs I'm not taken by ikea, usually within a month or two there's visible sagging of fabrics and wear, cabinets and things are fine and are OK built,

I've bought the Argos furniture and beds many moons ago when I first bought my first house, the bed was awful, the mattress was awful, the furniture looked cheap, dated quickly and I really wasted my money there.
That's my worry as well, buy cheap buy twice. But there is so much stuff we need to buy that I need to limit our spending somewhere.

DFS sofas are fine so long as you pay no more than market price for them ie half price. For RRP they are terrible value for money.

Ideally we do want to buy using finance too (preferably 0%). Worst case scenario is using my credit card, but we will be killed by interest.

Consider a new card - eg Tesco are doing 0% on purchases for two years at the moment iirc.

DFS sofas are fine so long as you pay no more than market price for them ie half price. For RRP they are terrible value for money.

Dfs have now had their continuous, although seasonal sale, for 18 non stop years now, should be a law against the false advertising, a bit like Citroen with their never ending "we pay your vat sale".

There are laws against perpetual sales - iirc they get around them by rotating which range is on sale at any given time, so each one qualifies for x months at rrp before it can go on sale.

I just found those furniture shops to be awful awful places. The wandering salespeople with their clipboards and cups of tea. Just couldn't do it. So paid 5% of rrp to buy from across town on eBay :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom