Furniture assistance

acgingersnaps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi. My amp and turntable are set up as shown in the picture below. Not ideal, I know.
Now, it's an Elex , with a solid metal top and doesn't run hot. As you can see, there's also a good gap. Is this something i should be stressing or should i be ok?
Current thought, as an alternative, would be 2 matching bits of wood either side of the amp, with a thick perspex sheet on top of them.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

J

Attachments

• 20201214_124831.jpg
    20201214_124831.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 86
Shelf bracketed to the wall to isolate the deck from the furniture and the floor

Thought about that, but not sure the wife is keen. Also, the tv's already wall mounted just above.

Sound wise, a shelf is where the biggest improvement will be. Looking at your photo, you seem to have about 6 - 10 inches from the top of your cabinet to the bottom of the TV. A quick search will reveal several shelves which will can be installed so the shelf is about 1 inch above your cabinet and below your TV.

As others are saying, bolt the TT to the wall, if that is in any way even remotely feasible. You appear to have more than enough room to do this, especially if you move the amplifier.

I hadn't really considered the sonic benefits. Was more worried about damage from having the one sat on top of the other.
Does it really make that much difference?

I hadn't really considered the sonic benefits. Was more worried about damage from having the one sat on top of the other.

Yes, that’s definitely the best place for a turntable.

Assuming i look into this in the medium term (the NY basically), do i need to worry about my current configuration? Nothing seems hot when running.

No

Just get a couple of squash balls cut in half
Ha!
That's what i used to do with speakers that had to sit on the floor. Not keen to do it between the amp and the turntable as they're in constant line of sight!

Then the deck won't be isolated from the wall..all the vibrations from the wall.

Can you think of a surface that it could be placed on or attached to where it will be subject to fewer vibrations?

Solid heavy furniture?
Of course, you’re right. If he’s got a piece of furniture which is more solid and heavier than a masonry wall then he should definitely use that. :facepalm:

Yes, especially if you have a wooden floor. I tried all sorts of isolators before i had a shelf, none of them worked as well as the shelf.

Then the deck won't be isolated from the wall..all the vibrations from the wall.
So what are you suggesting - skyhooks, magnetic levitation?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
www.maglevaudio.com

Magnetic levitation feet

Ok that is damn cool. I had heard of the turntable, but had no idea you could get the feet.

One thing I would caution is that some vibration may still be transmitted through those feet as they have the metal shaft that keeps the top section aligned to the bottom. My turntable has a similar arrangement with ’magnetic bearings’ for the platter and tonearm It has a polished ceramic shaft to keep the platter aligned and a retaining wire in the case of the tonarm, however even then if you tap your knuckles on the plinth, some sound is audible through the speakers, so if there’s physical contact of any kind, even where there is no downward-bearing weight, vibration can be transmitted.

On the whole I’ll say that a wall shelf attached to a masonry wall is the obvious preferred Method. If you can’t do that though, the magnetic feet look like a brilliant option. Or why not combine the two?

Interesting that in the description it says: This effect does not have a major impact on playback, but it does achieve an amazing visual experience. I think I'd be a little nervous of using high powered magnets near my MC cartridge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom