1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny sounding speech ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Montana, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    I have recently noticed that when I watch a channel(through Sky+) that has mainly speech, when I listen to the Main and Surround speakers(B&W 602s3 mains, Monitor Audio Sfx surrounds) the voice of the person in these speakers sounds AWFUL ! ! The best way I can describe it is, that you're listening to the radio and the station hasn't been tuned properly( or as I would describe "squelchy")and has interference.
    I have a Pio vsx-d2011-s amp, and I have tried it in all the modes possible and it still sounds the same(in both music and movie modes).So , what I am asking you good people is what is the problem likely to be(especially as the centre speaker sounds fine when this happens, and the others don't), is it the amp itself ? , the way it's been setup ?(I used the auto setup there), or is it the mode ?(should I try something else), or is it something totally different ?
    I don't seem to get any problems at all when listening to movies via dvd( although you dont get any speech through the problem speakers), so I am at a loss
    Any and all help on this would much appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Andy

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey Andy,
    Does it just sound awful with tv or is it movies as well? I would say it is the speakers or it could be the way you set it up, non secure connections especially the phono leads as they need to be connected firmly otherwise you will get a vvvv poor signal.
    i doubt it is the amp
    Regards
    Fred

3. NinjaBrewCommando

NinjaBrewCommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy,

I had noticed something similar to this and was thinking of posting a question, so thanks for kicking it off. :smashin:

It is hard to accuratelty describe and test the problem, but I find that Sky News (ch 501) exhibits the problem most consistently. The voices do sound 'squelchy' and exhibit pronounced sibilance (if you say this word more than two or three times and it sounds really weird! :confused:)

I am running normal Sky Digital through an Amstrad box (how I hate this thing...poxy software). I have the Sky box connected to a Marantz SR4300 which feeds some JPW speakers.

I have some cheap interconnects feeding the amp and initially I thought this could be the problem, but the problem can be heard through the TV speakers (small Sony - can't wait to get a real TV again...girlfriend approval pending). I also set up my parents' TV for them (decent Panasonic widescreen) and notice the problem there also (pace Sky box).

So, what am I saying? Well, I was wondering whether it was anything to do with the actual broadcast, or the Sky boxes.

As with you, I have perfect sound from other sources (DVD, CD etc.).

Sorry I can't help with an answer, but I am sure someone has an idea about where the problem lies.

Neil.

4. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a source problem caused by the digital compression. You'll hear similar artifacts on other digital TV sources, DAB radio and MP3s. The solution is for Sky to allocate more bandwidth, but that's unlikely to happen...
    The problem's made worse by surround decoding with ProLogic, PL2, NEO:6 etc since they rely on phase information in the signal, the compression mucks up the phase and causes the swooshy squelching sounds.