Funky's house renovation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by FunkyMunkey, Dec 7, 2016.

1. FunkyMunkey

FunkyMunkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Almost a decade since I last got a chance to do some serious DIYing, we've finally bought a new house. Although unlike last time, I haven't got the time to do as much of the work myself. And with a pair of two-year olds in tow we're going to keep renting until the work is completed.

As you can see, the living room hasn't been touched since it was originally built in the mid-1960s

Because it really needed that extra rug
    [​IMG]

And the kitchen and dining room are pretty old-fashioned too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've sketched up some plans for both rooms. The idea is to have a 5.1 TV/projector system in the living room with a stereo and wall-mounted speakers in the kitchen-diner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post pics of the other rooms as they're completed, too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. FunkyMunkey

FunkyMunkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    It'll be a relatively modest setup by AVF standards, but here's the equipment list so far. Mostly second-hand, sourced either off the AVF classifieds or eBay:

Living Room
    Primare i21 stereo amplifier
    Anthem MRX300 AV amplifier
    Monitor Audio RX6
    Monitor Audio RX Centre
    Monitor Audio RSFX
    Beresford TC-7510 DAC
    Beresford TC-7220 speaker switch
    Samsung UE46F6500 TV
    JVC X30 projector
    Grandview Cyber 106" electric screen

Kitchen
    Monitor Audio BR2
    Pioneer PM6004 amplifier

Although the house is detached, I've decided to create a stud wall as with my old living room, mainly because it's quite a neat solution for hiding wires. It also partially insulates the room from the rest of the house. I also plan to put insulation between the joists above the living room and dining area. All the work so far has been done by myself, but the electrician is due to start today.

Bricking up the lounge/diner doors:
    [​IMG]

Stud wall
    [​IMG]

Stud wall partially completed
    [​IMG]

I've also been pulling out the old kitchen. A lot quicker than I expected thanks to the Armeg tile removing chisel.I'm actually quite addicted to ripping off tiles now... great fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. lukmek

lukmek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Good job
    What kind of tiles will you been using in the kitchen?
    Any plans for the floor in the tv room?

4. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    You don't hang around!

5. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    HULK SMASH! :laugh:

Good luck with it all, We want to buy but where we are a 3 bed semi is 500K+ (not in London either!)

6. FunkyMunkey

FunkyMunkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    We went for these:

Wickes Manhattan Biege 300 x 600mm Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile - Pack of 6 | Wickes.co.uk

They were on offer, plus it was one of the 15% of weekends.

The TV room (I might try calling it that, see how my wife reacts) floor is the original parquet, but I think we'll probably carpet it. It'll sound better and feel more cosy. Plus there's already parquet under the similarly beautifully-patterned hallway carpet.

7. FunkyMunkey

FunkyMunkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Paying rent and mortgage at the same time acts as a motivator!
    Thankfully we're in a part of the country that had fairly low prices to start with, although there's been a ridiculous leap in the past couple of years. We probably could have saved £100,000 by moving here a year earlier!

8. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Here the house prices have risen over 40% in the last few years, Insanity (they take forever to sell!)

9. FunkyMunkey

FunkyMunkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Small update for the New Year.

The living room stud wall is completed. Most of the first-fix wiring is done, including the living room spotlights, which explains the dangling wires in the top of the picture.

[​IMG]

I was hoping to just be able to knock out the fireplace, but the remaining opening wouldn't be big enough for the stove, so I'll have to get the builder to acrow it and install a wider lintel a couple of brick courses up.

The surround speakers had ended up closer to the back wall than I would like, but I was restricted by the position of the pier you can see below.

[​IMG]

The kitchen/diner wall is now out and the ceiling above is being supported by acrows. I've taken up the floor tiles but most of the parquet is yet to be done. Due to a ridiculous bill we received just before xmas for fixing our car, I now have to tile the kitchen floor myself. As well as tiling and second fixing the bathroom :eek:

[​IMG]

The Cat5e and speaker wiring is in place in the dining area. The main reason for networking this area is to extend the wifi signal so it reaches the end of the garden. Possibly a stretch at 85ft, but we'll see!

[​IMG]

We've tweaked the plan for the kitchen. The structural engineer specified a 10cm pier to support the steel due to it being plumb with the apex of the roof. It might have been too much load for the back wall to tolerate if the steel had been recessed into it. We were going to put a fridge in front of the pier but it would've looked stupid sticking into the room that much. Instead we'll just extend the worktop and put a mid-sized integrated fridge in the alcove where the old (OLD!!) floorstanding boiler used to be. I think it opens up the room a bit more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get the place plastered: always feels like a bit of a milestone! Should be starting in about a week and half!

10. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Not sure where the boiler is going to live in your new set up, but have a look at the Worcester-Bosch range of external boilers, we fitted one of them and it saved a huge amount of room indoors.