• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fun in the Sun

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Not what I expected from the title which I assume is deliberate.
No. 1 is stunning.

shotokan101

Banned
NIce - especially like the first two

topgazza

Distinguished Member
The quality is superb but for me you've really nailed it with the composition on all those shots :thumbsup:

simon ess

Cheers Gazza. I really appreciate that. Composition is the area that I feel needs the most work.

Good to get some encouragement at this stage. Thanks.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Its by far the hardest thing IMO. You've managed to keep the rule of thirds in all of them and it shows how good that "rule" is in practice. On the sunsets where did you meter ?

simon ess

Thanks a lot Calvin :smashin:

On the sunsets where did you meter ?

I knew you were going to ask that :)

Spot metering, as before.

Took a reading about 10 degrees off the sun and overexposed 1 2/3 stops. Checked the foreground - too dark. Slapped on a 2 stop nd grad and increased exposure another 2 stops.

The foreground now contained enough detail to be lifted a touch in post.

The drawback of the nd grad is the increased flare.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I've only got a polarisation filter so for me that wouldn't have worked. Must get an ND filter. I quite like the flair mind you

shotokan101

Banned

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom