• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fully indexing removable disks

millrind

Standard Member
There are plenty of programs that say that they will index a CD or a DVD.
There are none that will index the disks so that you can:
search all text within documents
search text inside all PDFs
search text inside zip files
without putting the disk back in so that the program can read it.
All it will do is tell you the name of the file.
There is a great program that will fully index all the stuff on your hard disks (locate32), it does a great very fast job.
In these days of so much cheap storage you would think that someone could have come up with something like this.
Does anyone know of an app. that can do this so that if you have the info in more than one place, it can find it?

John

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I don't think you will find anything that will index CD/DVDs purely because once the media is removed, the files aren't there, and they are removed from the index because it is a null entry in the index database. The way around this would be to copy the DVD/CD contents onto your local hard drive and keep a permanent copy there.

millrind

Standard Member
Thanks for reponding to my post.
Actually I've been able to answer my own query.
I've found a great app that will do a proper job of indexing all the text in each CD or DVD and keeps those indices in a proper database. That way I can search and find any text I'm after and it tells me exactly which disks contain every piece of that text.
It is Deductus and it can be found on:
Deductus | aolej.com

John

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom